Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

No Food in J on 3 hour 15 min ATL-Montego Bay flight?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2007, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

I am flying Business Class on a 3 hour and 15 minute flight between Atlanta and Montego Bay, Jamaica, that is scheduled at what I consider to be a normal meal service time window (flight is something like.. 920 AM to 1235 PM) yet the DL web site does not list this flight as having a meal or even a snack served in J. Is it just the munchie basket passed around?
DL competes with Air Jamaica on this route and Air Jamaica serves full meals in both J and Y.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 1, 2007, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
The flight is shorter than the 1500 (or 1550?) threshold. No meal served unless the flight is greater distance than that.

Are you booked into J class? I was under the impression that flying in/out of the Caribbean was the same as flying domestic.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

You're right. It is F. A Medallion CSR threw me off because she mentioned that I would also be able to use a Crown Room since it is international and Business Class.

DL should really lower that 1500 mile guideline.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL FO, SPG
DL should really lower that 1500 mile guideline.[/QUOTE]

It's 1550 miles. I fly ATL-TUS a lot. It's 1542 miles - and snack basket is all you see!
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:09 am

per skyream rules, not neccassarily DL's rules, you are allowed CRC access when traveling in FC, or J on intl flights.

your flight is operated by a domestic Aircraft and as far as inflight service is concerned, you flight is domestic, so you get the domestic treatment.

might as well eat all the free snakcs you can eat in the CRC.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 1:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I flew from CDG-PRG in J last week on Czech Air and received a full, delicious dinner on a flight that departed at 9pm, with drinks before, during, and after the meal. The flight is 531 miles long. Too bad OK doesn't fly around the US!
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:59 am

[QUOTE=dlen111;8335084]per skyream rules, not neccassarily DL's rules, you are allowed CRC access when traveling in FC, or J on intl flights. C.[/QUOT

I will be traveling on an award ticket in first from JFK to Acapulco round trip:

Southbound -JFK-MEX-ACA on Aeromexico.

Northbound - ACA-MEX on Aeromexico
MEX-JFK on Delta

Will I be able to access any clubs on this itinerary with an award ticket? If so, which clubs should I look out for?
Old Sep 2, 2007, 2:16 pm

FWIW, this past Thursday the wife and I flew ATL-MEX (1331 miles) in J and were served a full domestic-style meal. There was a printed menu offering a choice of butternut squash or beef short-ribs with bread, salad, desert and what-have-you. Real silverware, cloth napkins, drinks served in glasses, etc. A nice surprise, especially since we were booked in coach on an AM code-share flight number and couldn't get on the U/G list until we got to the airport.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lmurgia
DL should really lower that 1500 mile guideline.
It's 1550 miles. I fly ATL-TUS a lot. It's 1542 miles - and snack basket is all you see![/QUOTE]

ATL/SJU is listed as 1547 and you guessed it, NO MEAL SERVICE . Flight is ususally between 3 hours, 30 minutes to 3 hours 45 minutes. It has been this way since shortly after 9/11. I once asked the pilot to fly around the ariport once before he headed to SJU , he just lauged and said he also didn't understand the no meal policy on this flight. Rumor has it that this may change soon .
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:37 pm

[QUOTE=

ATL/SJU is listed as 1547 and you guessed it, NO MEAL SERVICE . Flight is ususally between 3 hours, 30 minutes to 3 hours 45 minutes. It has been this way since shortly after 9/11. I once asked the pilot to fly around the ariport once before he headed to SJU , he just lauged and said he also didn't understand the no meal policy on this flight. Rumor has it that this may change soon .[/QUOTE]

What's the rumor? Since the BOB will soon be expanded to all flights of 750 miles or greater, I figured it would only make sense to have food for free in First instead of letting coach have all the goodies. It only makes sense. If Delta did this, and had the same type of service they have now for JFK-LAX/SFO, etc. (silverware, sundae, entree choice), they will truely be the top U.S. carrier.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:39 pm

What's the rumor? Since the BOB will soon be expanded to all flights of 750 miles or greater, I figured it would only make sense to have food for free in First instead of letting coach have all the goodies. It only makes sense. If Delta did this, and had the same type of service they have now for JFK-LAX/SFO, etc. (silverware, sundae, entree choice), they will truely be the top U.S. carrier.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton, ICH, Hertz
Originally Posted by MM/PM widget
It's 1550 miles. I fly ATL-TUS a lot. It's 1542 miles - and snack basket is all you see!
ATL/SJU is listed as 1547 and you guessed it, NO MEAL SERVICE . Flight is ususally between 3 hours, 30 minutes to 3 hours 45 minutes. It has been this way since shortly after 9/11. I once asked the pilot to fly around the ariport once before he headed to SJU , he just lauged and said he also didn't understand the no meal policy on this flight. Rumor has it that this may change soon .[/QUOTE]

That figures - all the goodies come just when I finish my trips to SJU.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:38 pm

Surprising really. AA offers food on its J Cabin from FL to San Juan and it is a shorter flight.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:52 pm

Even worse than ATL-SJU, which is legitimately a few miles short of having no service in F, JFK-SJU is something like 1650, and STILL has no meal service. I wonder what that's about. Hopefully it will change when the new BOB program comes around.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 5:50 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by dlen111
per skyream rules, not neccassarily DL's rules, you are allowed CRC access when traveling in FC, or J on intl flights.

your flight is operated by a domestic Aircraft and as far as inflight service is concerned, you flight is domestic, so you get the domestic treatment.

might as well eat all the free snakcs you can eat in the CRC.
I think for lounge purposes Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, and maybe Central and northern South America FC or Business do not count for BE lounge or CRC access. DL really confuses the issue by labeling these tickets "business." I talked my way into the BE lounge in ATL coming back from PVR by pointing to the word business on my boarding pass and arguing that Mexico was most certainly an international destination. I had just had to clear customs, hadn't I? The agent let me in because I think she did not want to try to explain that only BE (J) ticketed passengers to international destinations were allowed in, not just any international business passengers. I think, technically, they don't get you into the CRC either. These tickets are not booked in J, and I think without a J ticket, there is no lounge access, not even CRC. ATL/MEX front cabin is booked in D, not J, for instance. It doesn't hurt to try, though.

Last edited by sushibear; Sep 3, 2007 at 6:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.