Search

Delta to name Richard Anderson new CEO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Well, it's official now....

http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/070821/125357.html

They tried to wait till after the market closed but once the WSJ story broke...
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by amarain
I can't believe they passed Whitehurst over. I was really hoping to see him in the job. What a shame to be losing him.
He was probably considered too young and inexperienced, and not "seasoned" enough in the airline business....if this was say 5 years from now, Whitehurst would probably have had a good shot.

IMHO, as long as the team of Glen Hauenstein and Bob Cortelyou (guys in charge of Revenue Management and Network Planning) stick around, DL will do fine...
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Feather Man
Macguyver ??? How young are you people? Everyone (over 40) knows it was Oscar Goldman !
For those who are too young.....

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0027323/

Wonder what $6 million then would be worth now after 30 years of inflation?

David
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:46 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Well, my husband just called and he also works for Delta...the morale is
not very good after hearing about the news. Alot of us would have liked to see Whitehurst take the lead. We'll have to hope for the best!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by iahphx
Gutsy move on the part of DAL's BOD, given how low in esteem the NWA crowd is held these days. I personally wouldn't want to have any association with anything "Northwest" at the moment. And it's completely beyond me why the guys who didn't want to do business with Doug Parker want to inject NWA's management style into DAL.
The folks on the NW board are already starting their "keep NW my NW" campaign!

Congrats to Mr. Anderson.

I'm sorry that Whitehurst is not going to stick around, but being passed over is difficult to deal with. (He's not even 40 yet, whatta kid!)

David
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:53 pm

And the party line is:

DELTA AIR LINES <DAL.N> INCOMING CEO SAYS "NO PLANS OR INTENTIONS" TO MERGE DELTA WITH NORTHWEST AIRLINES <NWA.N>
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Reports that Whitehurst is resigning are not yet confirmed, though I would not be surprised to see it happen.

Last edited by sxf24; Aug 21, 2007 at 3:05 pm
Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
At least this gets Michael Vick off the top of the front page of the AJC. I don't feel really good about what he's being replaced by/for though.

Not a happy day for this former Delta kid...
Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiverDave
I'm sorry that Whitehurst is not going to stick around, but being passed over is difficult to deal with. (He's not even 40 yet, whatta kid!)

Given the toll that running an airline takes these days, it's not that unusual to have 40-ish leadership. Greg Brenneman was in his 30s when he became the number 2 guy at CO to Bethune. Of course, he got passed up for the number 1 job there, so I guess it cuts that way, too!

The guys running US -- the old HP management -- are all in their 40s. Doug Parker was 39 when he took over at HP.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG Gold
Public opinion on the AJC website is overwhelmingly against this decision.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...delta_ceo.html
Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Did Anderson do a good job with Northwurst Airlines? I think not, so now he gets a chance to repeat his poor performance with Delta. Shame after all DL have gone through with BK to end up with him. What were the DL BOD thinking? I am sure Jerry is disheartened.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I think this is a terrible, terrible shame. The Northwest brand is dirt, thanks in no small part to Anderson, and Delta is seen as kind of ascendant. Or was until now.

Don't get too attached to those PTVs. Or pillows and blankets for that matter.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:38 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
It is disappointing as NW's brand is down at the very bottom of the pit at the moment and DL has been turning itself around. Perhaps if DL took over NWs Asia routes and put NW out of its misery...
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:54 pm

Programs: S3
Whitehurst was my favored choice - but we're used to dissappointments around here
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
It is disappointing as NW's brand is down at the very bottom of the pit at the moment and DL has been turning itself around. Perhaps if DL took over NWs Asia routes and put NW out of its misery...
I have been hoping for some form of a DL NW merger just for the Asian routes. In Tokyo, NW sure is convenient for intra-Asian travel (non-stop v. change in ICN). Also, there service has been great on the couple of lfights that I have taken.

However, DL employee morale is critical so it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Marc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.