best use of 25,000 miles

Old Jul 29, 2007, 5:04 am
Original Poster

best use of 25,000 miles

What is the rule of thumb? I can book a skysaver trip in Oct from TPA-BOS_LGA_TPA for $260. Should I use miles or pay for the ticket?
Old Jul 29, 2007, 5:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
$260 for a ticket on Delta is pretty reasonable. Depending on how you earned the miles might help determine what's the most practical for you.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 6:10 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Elite status matters too.

If you've got a bunch of miles (more than you need), it might be a good use of miles for booking travel for a family member who has no elite status.

If you are the passenger, and you are working on elite status, you may prefer to spend the $$ (instead of the miles) to help get to a threshold for status.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 6:56 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I would pay for the ticket if it was me - but if you don't earn many miles and take a long time to accumulate the 25,000 miles, perhaps you should use miles.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 7:09 am

Programs: Delta silver, American Gold, SW A-list (plus companion pass), Hilton Diamond, Avis preffered select
Personally, I value Skymiles at about 1.2 cents per mile. So a ticket needs to cost more than $300 to use miles instead of cash. Don't forget to factor in the miles you won't be earning when you fly (free tickets earn no miles). If you have status (bonus miles) or are approaching a different level, or if the trip is across country instead of across the state, those earned miles mean more.

By the way, I am new to this board, but I have been flying Delta since '99 - I have been Platinum 6 years and Gold once, Silver once plus had status on several other airlines. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, just saying that even though this is my first post, I'm not as green as it may seem.

I plan on watching the Delta and American message boards mainly. Any other boards that are particularly good and general? I guess I got off subject. oops.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 7:48 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
I used 25k for a trip from ICN to PEK. That fare was pricing at over $750.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
Originally Posted by USCGamecock
I used 25k for a trip from ICN to PEK. That fare was pricing at over $750.
And less than 600 miles.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:05 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Don't forget that you are also allowed one free stopover. I have redeemed 25K miles for ATL - SLC (stop) - YVR and got to ski in both Utah AND British Columbia using only one award ticket. ^
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by stayl13

By the way, I am new to this board
Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:01 pm

USAGamecock is on to something. I think the best value for 25K miles is ICN or NRT to SE Asia. NRT-ICN-HKT or BKK with stopover in ICN.... there are any number of intriguing routings and multi stop capabilities. For 25K miles... quite a bargain, assuming you can figure out how to get to NRT or ICN.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Welcome skymutt and stayl13!

I would hold onto the miles unless they are near expiration. Do you ever fly out west from TPA? Delta (via SkyWest) has pretty good coverage to a lot of smaller airports out west which are normally expensive to fly to. I don't usually spend miles on domestic flights, but when I do I use them for trips to Montana. These flights are usually $400-500, maybe $350 if you catch a deal. So I consider them to be a good value for my miles. I would recommend saving your miles for a more expensive ticket.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:13 am

Programs: United Milage Plus, Alaska Airlines Milage Plan, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by stayl13
I am new to this board,

Any other boards that are particularly good and general?
stayl13, Welcome to flyertalk! I lurk all over the place, What board is best for you also depends on your interest. I tend to check out the Communitybuzz board as well as the MilageRun boards in addition to the airline specific boards. The more I lurk around the more boards I find I like.^
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
I am planning to cash in 25k for a couple tickets TUL-YYG (Charlottetown, PEI). The flights haven't been loaded next year, so I'm only hoping I'll be able to get Skysaver, but the ticket is pricing at over $1k the last time I checked, so it's WELL worth it!

I wouldn't use the miles in this case unless they are about to expire.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by yorock
Welcome skymutt and stayl13!

I would hold onto the miles unless they are near expiration. Do you ever fly out west from TPA? Delta (via SkyWest) has pretty good coverage to a lot of smaller airports out west which are normally expensive to fly to. I don't usually spend miles on domestic flights, but when I do I use them for trips to Montana. These flights are usually $400-500, maybe $350 if you catch a deal. So I consider them to be a good value for my miles. I would recommend saving your miles for a more expensive ticket.
I must agree with yorock. I recently cashed in 25k for a trip into FCA and out of JAC. It was pricing out around $700 which is more than I want to spend on a domestic ticket. For $260 however, I would grab that before the price goes up!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:31 pm

Programs: No More Loyalty
As someone who is a convert to the practice of "earn 'em and burn 'em," even I would find $260 to be too low of a threshold. The only caveat may be if you're in a situation where finding a Skysaver on any of the routes you take has been virtually impossible. In which case....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.