Hardest Domestic Upgrade?

Old Jul 21, 2007, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Hardest Domestic Upgrade?

Is there a domestic route on the DL that's been traditionally viewed as the hardest to upgrade on?

I know UA has the ORD-SEA route and AA has the BOS-SFO route - both I've read are close to impossible to secure upgrades on.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 6:34 pm

Uhh, I believe that would be ATL-LAS.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 6:34 pm

ATL-SFO is said to be extremely hard to upgrade on.

ATL-MLB is almost a 100% no go for an FO and GM. I was once #27 on the list as a GM on a B fare.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 6:37 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2 Million Miler, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President’s Club
PNS-MCO is quite difficult to secure an upgrade-- even on a Y.

Just playing...

Seriously, ATL-PHL has always been tough for me on Monday Mornings.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
I'm just a Gold but the only flights I've not been upgraded on this year (non international of course) are FLL to ATL. I'm 0-3. Everything else has been up front for me. There might be others more challenging but for this GM that's the hardest upgrade for me.

Good question!
Old Jul 21, 2007, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
Basically, ATL to any major metro city on the Left Coast-and to some extent, vice versa. Some examples:

1) ATL-LAX
2) ATL-SFO
3) ATL-SLC
4) ATL-SEA
5) ATL-LAS

LAX-ATL evening flights (before midnight).

I've been on H fares on some of these segments over the past couple of years, and as a PM-have been at times #xx of 25+ on the upgrade list. Just last week, I was #9 of 27 on a Q fare from LAX-ATL (DL1556, 10:40p flight) with 5 FC seats available. Two weeks ago, I was on an H fare from ATL-SEA in the morning and was #8 of 17 with no FC seats. (I did score a G upgrade for the SEA-ATL return, though ^)

It seems that nothing short of full Y is your best bet for a UG from ATL to the Left Coast-as a PM. GM and FOs can forget about it.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
LAS-ATL has been impossible for me. I've been in the 30s both times on this route.

I am 2 for 2 on ATL-LAS though. Helped once that the plane was a 767-400 (got the last seat; there were about 8 or 9 other Silvers behind me); the other was the last seat on a 767-300 (I was on a full Y fare that jumped me up).
Old Jul 21, 2007, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by NOLA Flyer
Basically, ATL to any major metro city on the Left Coast-and to some extent, vice versa. Some examples:

1) ATL-LAX
2) ATL-SFO
3) ATL-SLC
4) ATL-SEA
5) ATL-LAS

LAX-ATL evening flights (before midnight).

I've been on H fares on some of these segments over the past couple of years, and as a PM-have been at times #xx of 25+ on the upgrade list. Just last week, I was #9 of 27 on a Q fare from LAX-ATL (DL1556, 10:40p flight) with 5 FC seats available. Two weeks ago, I was on an H fare from ATL-SEA in the morning and was #8 of 17 with no FC seats. (I did score a G upgrade for the SEA-ATL return, though ^)

It seems that nothing short of full Y is your best bet for a UG from ATL to the Left Coast-as a PM. GM and FOs can forget about it.
I'd actually say that the ATL-SEA flights are very easy to clear on. I cleared 10+ times this year on Thurs/Fri/Sat nights SEA-ATL and then Mon/Tues back to SEA.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 8:25 pm

I flew MCO-ATL-DCA and return almost weekly for seven years as a PM. After they changed the rules where you couldn't upgrade at time of booking with a K fare, the Monday morning ATL DCA became almost impossible (around 10%) and the Thursday afternoon DCA ATL was even worse (less than 5%) for upgrades. I would find myself as a PM as far down as 20th to 25th on the list coming home from DCA; especially with the problem of the computer still putting government fares on the list as Y. Somewhat surprisingly, DCA CVG almost always cleared; I just couldn't take it often as DL kept moving around the connection times in CVG so that I couldn't make it home.

Marc
Old Jul 21, 2007, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
On weekday mornings-early afternoons? I guess I should rephrase. Scoring upgrades from ATL to the Left Coast during peak hours is difficult.

I had a 9:57a flight (DL1557) ATL-SEA and didn't make the upgrade on an H fare. Had I flown after 4p, I probably would've scored an upgrade. The SEA-ATL return was easier (night flight on G upgrade).

Originally Posted by WBurcham
I'd actually say that the ATL-SEA flights are very easy to clear on. I cleared 10+ times this year on Thurs/Fri/Sat nights SEA-ATL and then Mon/Tues back to SEA.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 8:43 pm

On weekday mornings-early afternoons? I guess I should rephrase. Scoring upgrades from ATL to the Left Coast during peak hours is difficult.

I had a 9:57a flight (DL1557) ATL-SEA and didn't make the upgrade on an H fare. Had I flown after 4p, I probably would've scored an upgrade. The SEA-ATL return was easier (night flight on G upgrade).
Oh that probably made a difference.

I didn't ever have to take the mid-day flights from ATL-SEA and I avoided the morning SEA-ATL flights because I hate losing an entire day flying (unless I'm getting paid of course).
Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM/CRC, AA GLD/AC, SPG Gold
I agree with NOLA flyer...my experience getting up front from ATL to Left coast and back is bad. As a result I now do all sorts of preemptive gymnastics to confirm a seat up front without relying on MU's. (My experience SEA-ATL have been the worst, though admittedly the flights were mostly as an FO).
Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:31 pm

ATL-LAS (and v.v.) is off and on, you'll have flights with upgrades for sale and flights where you are #30 on the list. There are definitely more difficult routes (LAX, SFO, SEA).
Old Jul 22, 2007, 4:58 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
I must say I find ATL-LAS realtively wasy, I think I am at 100% there but ATL-LAX is a challenge for me sometimes.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 5:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
GM and FOs can forget about it.
What's an FO? The flyertalk glossary says First Officer, but I doubt that's what you mean.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.