Vegetarian meal options in domestic F

Old Jun 17, 2007, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, WN, NW (picking up some free pre-merger miles), AA (left over), and a US acct with no miles.
Vegetarian meal options in domestic F

recent lurker, first-time poster, go easy on me ...

I'm flying JAX-SEA (via ATL) in FC (thanks to skymiles) in late August, and just requested a vegetarian meal (while calling to get my itinerary tweaked for another schedule change, a story for another thread...). I searched the forums, and read about other experiences -- but most of them were either intl flights, or from several years ago. I wanted a lacto-ovo meal, but they didn't have one -- just non-dairy vegetarian (which the website lists as "pure"), or the Asian option (which wasn't listed as vegetarian, but the rep was fairly sure it was vegetarian). Is "vegetarian" my best bet in this case? I'd read about good experiences with Asian veg meals, but many of those cases involved flights to/from Asia. FWIW, my outbound flight leaves at 11am, my return is a redeye.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
i believe the Sun Chips are vegitarian
Old Jun 17, 2007, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, WN, NW (picking up some free pre-merger miles), AA (left over), and a US acct with no miles.
Originally Posted by jimrpa
i believe the Sun Chips are vegitarian
yes, they are.... but I do expect to get quite a bit more than even the snackpack on this flight!
Old Jun 17, 2007, 7:48 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
My daughters and I always order the vegetarian meals. Sometimes we are pleasantly surprised. On an flight last year, my daughter and a friend were in coach and I was in First, her meal was the same as mine yet the regular fare was quite different between cabins.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:22 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by jackplum
My daughters and I always order the vegetarian meals. Sometimes we are pleasantly surprised. On an flight last year, my daughter and a friend were in coach and I was in First, her meal was the same as mine yet the regular fare was quite different between cabins.
Coach had a meal in domestic?
Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by jackplum
On an flight last year, my daughter and a friend were in coach and I was in First, her meal was the same as mine yet the regular fare was quite different between cabins.
Way back when there was a marked difference between the FC and coach vegetarian meal.
The last time I had a vegetarian mean on DL domestic FC I believe they were the same, or at least the FC version had been downgraded to coach level.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
I requested vegetarian meals in F earlier this month and was served a breakfast of an omelette with mushrooms and cheese, a bagel with cream cheese, a fruit salad, and some sort of breakfast meat.
My vegetarian lunch consisted of a chicken breast fillet, a cheese-filled manacotti, a salad (with Romaine ^), and some sort of caramel cake.
I will say the breakfast was surprisingly good (of course I didn't eat the meat). When noticing my uneaten chicken fillet I joked to the FA that I was the worlds only 200 pound vegetarian. He quickly asked if I would like anything else but honestly I wasn't still hungry. On the return I had moved my flight up by a day so I didn't expect my veggie meal and was served the same lunch/dinner. I believe there are several veggie meal options. Pure veggie is probably the least tasty. There is also a cold seafood option for those of you, such as myself, that consider fish to be fast moving vegetables.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Juiceman
I requested vegetarian meals in F earlier this month and was served a breakfast of an omelette with mushrooms and cheese, a bagel with cream cheese, a fruit salad, and some sort of breakfast meat.
My vegetarian lunch consisted of a chicken breast fillet, a cheese-filled manacotti, a salad (with Romaine ^), and some sort of caramel cake.
I will say the breakfast was surprisingly good (of course I didn't eat the meat). When noticing my uneaten chicken fillet I joked to the FA that I was the worlds only 200 pound vegetarian. He quickly asked if I would like anything else but honestly I wasn't still hungry. On the return I had moved my flight up by a day so I didn't expect my veggie meal and was served the same lunch/dinner. I believe there are several veggie meal options. Pure veggie is probably the least tasty. There is also a cold seafood option for those of you, such as myself, that consider fish to be fast moving vegetables.
I saw the seafood option, but I don't eat fish. I may call back at some point during the week and see if there actually is a lacto-ovo option.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by The Juiceman
No vegetarian meal includes any meat. There are usually two primary choices Vegan/Pure/Strict Vegetarian (Code: VGML) which means no dairy (including cheese, milk, creams,and eggs), no animal products, and no meat. Then there is Lacto-Ovo Vegetatian (Code: VLML) which is no meat but can contain dairy. I can voch that the VGML is usually delicious on Delta, coach or first. The most common thing served is rice pilaf, seasoned vegetables, a salad and a fruit tart or salad.

I do not recommend the VGML on flights to/from Asia or Africa, on those flights I always select the Indian or African based meals. I once had VGML from China, it wasn't very appetizing (plain rice and boiled peas) and yet the person next to me had a very delightful fried tofu with carrots in a sauce over veggie fried rice and a spring roll dinner. For dessert I had an apple, he had what looked like a sweet pistachio custard. He told me he went with the Asian Veggie meal, and for me it was a lesson well learned. On my next trip on Singapore Airlines, I went with the Indian meal in Raffles, and was very impressed. Absolutely delicious, reminded me of the aloo gobi I had in Malaysia at Bombay Palace.

On some flights, mainly to Asian destinations, you will see Indian and Asian Vegetarian options, both strict and dairy, and even Jain.

Last edited by MaisonUnitas; Jun 18, 2007 at 3:13 am
Old Jun 18, 2007, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaisonUnitas
No vegetarian meal includes any meat. There are usually two primary choices Vegan/Pure/Strict Vegetarian (Code: VGML) which means no dairy (including cheese, milk, creams,and eggs), no animal products, and no meat. Then there is Lacto-Ovo Vegetatian (Code: VLML) which is no meat but can contain dairy. I can voch that the VGML is usually delicious on Delta, coach or first. The most common thing served is rice pilaf, seasoned vegetables, a salad and a fruit tart or salad.

I do not recommend the VGML on flights to/from Asia or Africa, on those flights I always select the Indian or African based meals. I once had VGML from China, it wasn't very appetizing (plain rice and boiled peas) and yet the person next to me had a very delightful fried tofu with carrots in a sauce over veggie fried rice and a spring roll dinner. For dessert I had an apple, he had what looked like a sweet pistachio custard. He told me he went with the Asian Veggie meal, and for me it was a lesson well learned. On my next trip on Singapore Airlines, I went with the Indian meal in Raffles, and was very impressed. Absolutely delicious, reminded me of the aloo gobi I had in Malaysia at Bombay Palace.

On some flights, mainly to Asian destinations, you will see Indian and Asian Vegetarian options, both strict and dairy, and even Jain.
Thanks for vouching for it. I called up again, and asked about lacto-ovo -- still nothing. The rep I talked to said she'd never heard of/seen lacto-ovo on DL flights. She mentioned that partners could have them, but she hadn't seen them on DL. I thought about going with the Asian veg, but seeing as this is domestic... I think (hope) the regular veg meal will be fairly edible
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by MaisonUnitas
No vegetarian meal includes any meat.
My description of what Delta served me as a vegetarian meal was an attempt at humor. I guess I was 'ribbing' Delta. (ribbing, vegetarian. Get it? ). I was so happy to snag a seat to Alaska in F with SkySavers I really didn't care what they offered. I wasn't going to starve to death on a transcon; that much I knew. FTR most India based agents are themselves vegetarian and will go out of their way to assist you in that regard.

Last edited by The Juiceman; Jun 18, 2007 at 10:59 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.