Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Skymiles - no extra benefits for people who fly 150k MQMs a year??

Old Jun 13, 2007, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Good afternoon everyone,

Last year I moved from Flying Blue to Delta SkyMiles and switched carriers. I wanted to give the new Delta a chance even though the service on Air France in economy is far more superior than Delta. In a span of three months I have managed to fly 72,000 MQMs (that's right, three months). At this rate, I will end the year with 150,000 - 180,000 MQMs. While Platinum Medallion members (75k MQM threshold) get 6 upgrade certificates, Delta does not have ANY extra benefits for people who fly 150k MQMs a year. Is this true?? Why should I fly Delta any more than the 75k required to maintain Platinum. 90% of my travel is international, with a majority of it in Europe. I'm going back to Air France.

Please see below the e mail trail I have had with Delta SkyMiles... any comments and suggestions are welcome.

----------------
----------------

Good afternoon Sir/Madam,

I am a Gold Medallion member with 72,418 MQMs year to date in my
account. As you can see from my account activity, these MQMs have been
earned in roughly a three month period. I already have an international
itinerary booked with Delta on June 29th which will definitely push me
over the 75,000 MQM threshold for Platinum Medallion. I understand that
once I am Platinum, I will get six systemwide upgrade certificates from
Delta.

However, with the amount of flying I am currently doing, I will easily
end the year with 150,000 - 180,000 MQMs. From what I understand, I do
not get any additional upgrade certificates from Delta. In essence, if I
fly 75,000 miles or if I fly twice that, I still get 6 international
upgrade certificates. To me, there is no added benefit to continue
flying Delta (I switched to Delta from Air France this year) in excess
of the 75,000 miles required to maintain Platinum status.

Is there any change in the Medallion program planned for the very few
like me who do indeed fly a considerable amount internationally in
excess of Platinum benefits? One suggestion would be to award two
additional certificates every 20,000 MQMs flown in excess of Platinum
threshold.

As a loyal Delta flyer who has come to like Delta in the past year, I am
requesting you make the change to the SkyMiles program or consider my
case as a one-off. I do fly Delta for the great service and the
fantastic people who work for you, but being in BusinessElite on a 10 hr
flight is a very compelling reason to continue flying Delta as well.

Thank you.
Best regards,
XXX

------------------------

Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

Upon Platinum Medallion qualification, members will receive 6
complimentary one-way Platinum Medallion Upgrade Certificates valid on
most Delta flights worldwide. For all the details about these upgrade
certificates, visit our website at the following link:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_....jsp#medallion

While we would like to offer special consideration in cases such as
yours, we are unable to honor the many similar requests that we receive
from others in equally deserving situations. We follow a consistent
policy to ensure the integrity of the SkyMiles program, as well as be
fair everyone who accrues as many miles. Accordingly, we hope you
understand that we are unable to grant your request.

Nevertheless, we thank you very much for taking the time to offer us
your feedback. Delta is continually seeking ways to bring about
improvements and enhancements to our Elite SkyMiles members. Your
comments will help us identify and improve the programs you value most,
and will help shape the programs we develop in the future, for your
enjoyment.

Mr. XXX, thank you again for giving us an opportunity to respond to
your concern. We very much appreciate your Medallion loyalty to Delta
and look forward to the privilege of serving you again soon.

Sincerely,

Ms. Xxx Yyy
Medallion Desk
www.delta.com

------------------

Dear Ms. Xxx Yyy,

It is quite unfortunate that Delta Air Lines does not have a process in place to reward its most loyal customers - those that are reaching out to you to compliment Delta Air Lines for their excellent job and service and to pledge their continued support to your airline. As you probably already know, Platinum medallion members generate a huge amount of revenue for the company as a whole. This is true with any loyalty program. I work for Starwood Hotels & Resorts, our frequent stay program, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) has won Freddie awards for 6 years in a row. Thinking about our most loyal customers and enticing them with continuous benefits we have managed to ensure a constant and substantial stream of revenue.

Frankly, I am quite disappointed that your reply is contrary to the 'can-do' attitude and a refreshing look at air travel that Delta Air Lines is pioneering. The explanation you have given me, which in my mind and any traveler who travels these many miles, comes down to the letter of the law and a policy which perhaps may be outdated or needs serious reconsideration if Delta Air Lines is to grow its revenues from loyal customers like us.

It is truly going to disappoint the customer service agents in Atlanta this morning who profusely thanked me for flying Delta as much as I do, as I walked off my flight from Buenos Aires. It is truly going to disappoint the flight attendants who worked so hard to make my flights so enjoyable and comfortable for the past 70,000 miles, that they may not enjoy my loyalty in the future. All that Ms. Yyy, down to a policy that does not incrementally reward your loyal customers who fly 75,000 miles or 150,000 miles.

While I thank you for your response, the explanation does not satisfy me and I am being forced to write to the office of Mr. Grinstein to ascertain his views and perhaps persuade him to reconsider. What you have here, is a serious Delta fan, saying, I want to fly you, just make it my worthwhile.

Thank you,
Best regards,
XXX

Comments?
Old Jun 14, 2007, 3:59 am

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Why is this a surprise?

It is clearly stated in the membership write-ups on the DL website and in any materials you may have received upon gaining status.

However, there are some added perks for revenue based amounts, I believe, but only by invitation. See threads on white envelope or EP.

Additionally, I think there are annual Platinum Threshold bonuses, again searchable in the forums.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:55 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
You didn't mention what type fares you buy, but be advised that the 6 PMUs you will receive after making Platinum are only good on international fares booked in Y, B or M. If you're not booking these higher coach fares, this may further dilute the overall value of Delta's program in your case.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 6:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jackplum
Why is this a surprise?

It is clearly stated in the membership write-ups on the DL website and in any materials you may have received upon gaining status.

However, there are some added perks for revenue based amounts, I believe, but only by invitation. See threads on white envelope or EP.

Additionally, I think there are annual Platinum Threshold bonuses, again searchable in the forums.
The Platinum threshold bonuses are not a published benefit, so while it has been recurring for a number of us each year in recent years, there is no guarantee that such a thing will occur again. And even when expecting a recurrence, it may make sense to stay well below the 125k or 150k MQM level until that registration notice comes out.

EP is mostly granted by purchase of higher fare DL flights credited to DL's program. (Since I credit most of my DL flights to other SkyTeam frequent flyer programs, EP won't be in my picture even as I do substantially more than 75k SkyTeam elite qualifying miles per quarter and requalify for DL PM usually in the first quarter of a year.)

If I were in the OP's situation, I'd do what I do -- go for NW Platinum and the extra perk selection that they publish for those who fly substantially more than the mere 75k elite qualifying miles a year.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 7:31 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
I think there are benefits. They are just unstated / unpublished. Like all the FAs and GAs who will know you and personally treat you better. Like the res agent who will see that you have 150k miles and bend the rules. Etc.

P.S. Any letter that says the service on AF is better than DL leads me to wonder if they are in a different universe. IMHO, the FAs on DL stick around for the whole flight. On AF there was no service because the FAs went and hid.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stc
I think there are benefits. They are just unstated / unpublished. Like all the FAs and GAs who will know you and personally treat you better. Like the res agent who will see that you have 150k miles and bend the rules. Etc.
DL bend the rules when it comes to reservations agents were they to notice that I do well over 150k miles? Not on an award ticket, not on my multi-airline paid tickets, at least no more than before.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
I got some nice Hartmann luggage 2 years ago from DL for 125K MQMs and extra bonus FF miles last year (i think 50 K) for making 150K MQMs last year, but these are non-recurring threshold bonuses.

I have also had DL employees bend rules and do favors for me, but I don't know if that is due to status, or just because they are nice people.

There was some hints that the threshold bonuses and MM perks would be improved this year after the BK exit, but I have not heard anything definitive yet.

I would expect an announcement in August/September.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by G-VFAB
Good afternoon everyone,

Last year I moved from Flying Blue to Delta SkyMiles and switched carriers. I wanted to give the new Delta a chance even though the service on Air France in economy is far more superior than Delta. In a span of three months I have managed to fly 72,000 MQMs (that's right, three months). At this rate, I will end the year with 150,000 - 180,000 MQMs. While Platinum Medallion members (75k MQM threshold) get 6 upgrade certificates, Delta does not have ANY extra benefits for people who fly 150k MQMs a year. Is this true?? Why should I fly Delta any more than the 75k required to maintain Platinum. 90% of my travel is international, with a majority of it in Europe. I'm going back to Air France.

Please see below the e mail trail I have had with Delta SkyMiles... any comments and suggestions are welcome.

----------------
----------------

Good afternoon Sir/Madam,

I am a Gold Medallion member with 72,418 MQMs year to date in my
account. As you can see from my account activity, these MQMs have been
earned in roughly a three month period. I already have an international
itinerary booked with Delta on June 29th which will definitely push me
over the 75,000 MQM threshold for Platinum Medallion. I understand that
once I am Platinum, I will get six systemwide upgrade certificates from
Delta.

However, with the amount of flying I am currently doing, I will easily
end the year with 150,000 - 180,000 MQMs. From what I understand, I do
not get any additional upgrade certificates from Delta. In essence, if I
fly 75,000 miles or if I fly twice that, I still get 6 international
upgrade certificates. To me, there is no added benefit to continue
flying Delta (I switched to Delta from Air France this year) in excess
of the 75,000 miles required to maintain Platinum status.

Is there any change in the Medallion program planned for the very few
like me who do indeed fly a considerable amount internationally in
excess of Platinum benefits? One suggestion would be to award two
additional certificates every 20,000 MQMs flown in excess of Platinum
threshold.

As a loyal Delta flyer who has come to like Delta in the past year, I am
requesting you make the change to the SkyMiles program or consider my
case as a one-off. I do fly Delta for the great service and the
fantastic people who work for you, but being in BusinessElite on a 10 hr
flight is a very compelling reason to continue flying Delta as well.

Thank you.
Best regards,
XXX

------------------------

Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

Upon Platinum Medallion qualification, members will receive 6
complimentary one-way Platinum Medallion Upgrade Certificates valid on
most Delta flights worldwide. For all the details about these upgrade
certificates, visit our website at the following link:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_....jsp#medallion

While we would like to offer special consideration in cases such as
yours, we are unable to honor the many similar requests that we receive
from others in equally deserving situations. We follow a consistent
policy to ensure the integrity of the SkyMiles program, as well as be
fair everyone who accrues as many miles. Accordingly, we hope you
understand that we are unable to grant your request.

Nevertheless, we thank you very much for taking the time to offer us
your feedback. Delta is continually seeking ways to bring about
improvements and enhancements to our Elite SkyMiles members. Your
comments will help us identify and improve the programs you value most,
and will help shape the programs we develop in the future, for your
enjoyment.

Mr. XXX, thank you again for giving us an opportunity to respond to
your concern. We very much appreciate your Medallion loyalty to Delta
and look forward to the privilege of serving you again soon.

Sincerely,

Ms. Xxx Yyy
Medallion Desk
www.delta.com

------------------

Dear Ms. Xxx Yyy,

It is quite unfortunate that Delta Air Lines does not have a process in place to reward its most loyal customers - those that are reaching out to you to compliment Delta Air Lines for their excellent job and service and to pledge their continued support to your airline. As you probably already know, Platinum medallion members generate a huge amount of revenue for the company as a whole. This is true with any loyalty program. I work for Starwood Hotels & Resorts, our frequent stay program, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) has won Freddie awards for 6 years in a row. Thinking about our most loyal customers and enticing them with continuous benefits we have managed to ensure a constant and substantial stream of revenue.

Frankly, I am quite disappointed that your reply is contrary to the 'can-do' attitude and a refreshing look at air travel that Delta Air Lines is pioneering. The explanation you have given me, which in my mind and any traveler who travels these many miles, comes down to the letter of the law and a policy which perhaps may be outdated or needs serious reconsideration if Delta Air Lines is to grow its revenues from loyal customers like us.

It is truly going to disappoint the customer service agents in Atlanta this morning who profusely thanked me for flying Delta as much as I do, as I walked off my flight from Buenos Aires. It is truly going to disappoint the flight attendants who worked so hard to make my flights so enjoyable and comfortable for the past 70,000 miles, that they may not enjoy my loyalty in the future. All that Ms. Yyy, down to a policy that does not incrementally reward your loyal customers who fly 75,000 miles or 150,000 miles.

While I thank you for your response, the explanation does not satisfy me and I am being forced to write to the office of Mr. Grinstein to ascertain his views and perhaps persuade him to reconsider. What you have here, is a serious Delta fan, saying, I want to fly you, just make it my worthwhile.

Thank you,
Best regards,
XXX

Comments?
I hate to say it, but your note sounds really whiny. If I were Grinstein and received such a note, I'd probably drop it into the shredder after the first sentence.

You know Delta's published program and rules. If you're not happy with the published program and rules, there are a number of other airlines out there. You might see if one of them better suits your needs.

You could also do a search on "white envelope" in this forum to see that Delta DOES try to recognise some of their very high revenue customers with some extra perks. I've no idea whether the program will exist next year, or what it will offer. This year, it did not offer any additional upgrades.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 2:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Starwood Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I hate to say it, but your note sounds really whiny. If I were Grinstein and received such a note, I'd probably drop it into the shredder after the first sentence.

You know Delta's published program and rules. If you're not happy with the published program and rules, there are a number of other airlines out there. You might see if one of them better suits your needs.

You could also do a search on "white envelope" in this forum to see that Delta DOES try to recognise some of their very high revenue customers with some extra perks. I've no idea whether the program will exist next year, or what it will offer. This year, it did not offer any additional upgrades.
Seems more reasonable than whiny to me, especially as he could just as well have kept on flying AF (and they indeed have a better international coach product than Delta, missing FA's aside). Perception is very important, and if the message DL is sending is one of not valueing best customers then that should have top-level attention.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dane1
Seems more reasonable than whiny to me, especially as he could just as well have kept on flying AF (and they indeed have a better international coach product than Delta, missing FA's aside). Perception is very important, and if the message DL is sending is one of not valueing best customers then that should have top-level attention.
Woah! Wait up a moment there - just what is PM? Chopped Liver? There is a top-end at Delta - Platinum Medallion. That's it! The pinnacle. The ultimate achievement. Nothing else, nothing beyond. Even EPs are PMs. If PM isn't enough and you want even more, then Delta isn't the airline for you. How many classes do you want? Should Delta introduce Titanium? Then we'll have some group who whines that they've made Titanium and there's nothing beyond. Eventually we'll be into the trans-uranium elements? And what do we do when we run out of the manmade elements? What level will be beyond Ununseptium Medallion?
Old Jun 14, 2007, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by PMMMDL
I got some nice Hartmann luggage 2 years ago from DL for 125K MQMs and extra bonus FF miles last year (i think 50 K) for making 150K MQMs last year, but these are non-recurring threshold bonuses.

I have also had DL employees bend rules and do favors for me, but I don't know if that is due to status, or just because they are nice people.

There was some hints that the threshold bonuses and MM perks would be improved this year after the BK exit, but I have not heard anything definitive yet.

I would expect an announcement in August/September.
I can bet that is due to your status, MQM to date or MM. I for one, as nice as I'm Will be more inclined to waive a fee for you than a John Doe.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by G-VFAB
Good afternoon everyone,

I too am not sure why it's a surprise either. I am in a similar bind with Continental. I hit Platinum at the end of February. Last year, I decided that my opportunity cost of loyality was too much. I switched to AA in the summer and earned EXP--and ten SWU's. This year, I switched in March--I did fly DL for three weeks in April. In July, when I hit EXP, I'll switch to DL and earn Platinum there too.

That's your solution. Don't fly more than 75k with Delta. When your benefits run out, you should too.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Gold, Marriot Silver
I think it's completely reasonable for someone to try and negotiate for better service since he's a very valuable customer. Whether or not he'll receive a positive response... that's another story.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
This type of thread usually doesn't surface until August or September and is almost as fatiguing to read as the "SkySaver Sucks" threads. If the OP doesn't like the top level at DL, he should go back to Air France. Why did he leave AF anyway? Were there problems there?

My reasoning to stay with DL after reaching the top level is to continue to accrue miles and to enjoy the perks, but I'm "only" a domestic flyer so YMMV. Why was I number 3 or 4 out of 75 elites on the upgrade list LGA-ATL for the past two Thursday evenings? Maybe because I continue to fly DL instead of scattering my miles between 2 or 3 airlines. Maybe MM's are a higher category on the upgrade list? Who knows. Only you as the flyer can know what's best when flying/accruing and which airline(s) to credit your miles to.

By all means, if the OP is not happy with Delta, there is nothing keeping him at the airline and should move to one that makes him happier.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Starwood Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Woah! Wait up a moment there - just what is PM? Chopped Liver? There is a top-end at Delta - Platinum Medallion. That's it! The pinnacle. The ultimate achievement. Nothing else, nothing beyond. Even EPs are PMs. If PM isn't enough and you want even more, then Delta isn't the airline for you. How many classes do you want? Should Delta introduce Titanium? Then we'll have some group who whines that they've made Titanium and there's nothing beyond. Eventually we'll be into the trans-uranium elements? And what do we do when we run out of the manmade elements? What level will be beyond Ununseptium Medallion?
Apologies if you misconstrued this as an argument for additional Medallion levels. I merely disagreed with your viewpoint that the OP was 'whining'. I think he was completely in his right to ask; as a later poster also pointed out, he certainly has no right to expect.

My personal view is that some kind of threshold bonus would be nice. I'll easily hit 150K plus with DL by Fall, unless I decide to put my post-75K mileage somewhere else. Delta does not give me any formal incentive to keep with their program past PM qualification. I'm a senior executive so its easy to get comped to mid-elite level on another carrier, thus the DL domestic upgrades by themselves won't necessarily keep my business. Would be great to see something like the old system that gave int'l upgrade certs every 20K flown.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.