FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   SkyMiles calculator tool (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/699457-skymiles-calculator-tool.html)

ttjoseph Jun 1, 2007 3:46 pm

SkyMiles calculator tool

I wasn't aware of a tool that calculates MQMs and regular miles accumulated on DL and partners, keeping track of elite status along the way, so that I could plan my travel to maximize miles and status without calculating everything by hand. I created such a tool and am making it publicly available in the hope that somebody might find it useful. It is web-based and available at:

http://fly.qux.us/smcalc

You can use it by entering your trips, one per line. Example: "JFK-ATL-CVG-JFK". Here it assumes that you flew on the same fare class the entire way - U by default.

But let's say you flew in full Y for the JFK-ATL segment. So, you'd enter "JFK-Y-ATL-CVG-JFK". It also knows how to deal with flights on other SkyTeam carriers. Let's say you actually flew the CVG-JFK segment on NW in J and ATL-CVG on a DL codeshare on CO metal on a T fare: "JFK-Y-ATL-DLCO.T-CVG-NW.J-JFK". The output from this contrived example, assuming you are an FO:

JFK-ATL: 760 miles on DL in Y. As a Silver, earned 1140 MQM and 1330 redeemable miles.
ATL-CVG: 373 miles on DL on CO metal in T. As a Silver, earned 250 MQM and 625 redeemable miles.
CVG-JFK: 589 miles on NW in J. As a Silver, earned 884 MQM and 1031 redeemable miles.

Miles flown: 1722 this trip, 1722 so far
MQM earned: 2274 this trip, 2274 total so far
Redeemable miles earned: 2524 this trip, 2524 total so far

You can also specify how many MQMs and redeemable miles you started with. Also, if you received bonus miles, say the 500 mile bonus for booking online, just type in the number of miles received, either as part of a trip or on its own line - e.g. "JFK-ATL-JFK 500".

Disclaimer: I'm not Delta. Though I'm not aware of any major problems with the calculations (except as listed on the site), I've only verified that it works properly for my own travel history and plans. If you find an error or omission, I'd really appreciate hearing about it. Enjoy!

vasantn Jun 1, 2007 3:50 pm

Nice of you to share; thank you! ^

obscure2k Jun 1, 2007 3:52 pm

Webflyer has a pretty nifty tool

http://www.webflyer.com/travel/milemarker/

GaryO3 Jun 1, 2007 4:44 pm

Error? Or don't I know what I'm doing?....

bhm-dl.k-atl-dl.k-clt-dl.b-atl-dl.b-bhm is what I entered (BHM-ATL-CLT on K fare) and CLT-ATL-BHM on B fare as PM.

Here's what I got back

BHM–ATL: 134 miles on DL in K. As a platinum, earned 500 MQM and 1000 redeemable miles.
ATL–CLT: 227 miles on DL in K. As a platinum, earned 500 MQM and 1000 redeemable miles.
CLT–ATL: 227 miles on DL in B. As a platinum, earned 750 MQM and 568 redeemable miles.
ATL–BHM: 134 miles on DL in B. As a platinum, earned 750 MQM and 335 redeemable miles

CLT-ATL and ATL-BHM are minimum 500, and PM bonus is 500. Total redeemable miles should be 4,000 (1,000 per segment).

Otherwise, looks nice.

ttjoseph Jun 1, 2007 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by GaryO3 (Post 7834899)
bhm-dl.k-atl-dl.k-clt-dl.b-atl-dl.b-bhm is what I entered (BHM-ATL-CLT on K fare) and CLT-ATL-BHM on B fare as PM.

Here's what I got back

BHM–ATL: 134 miles on DL in K. As a platinum, earned 500 MQM and 1000 redeemable miles.
ATL–CLT: 227 miles on DL in K. As a platinum, earned 500 MQM and 1000 redeemable miles.
CLT–ATL: 227 miles on DL in B. As a platinum, earned 750 MQM and 568 redeemable miles.
ATL–BHM: 134 miles on DL in B. As a platinum, earned 750 MQM and 335 redeemable miles

CLT-ATL and ATL-BHM are minimum 500, and PM bonus is 500. Total redeemable miles should be 4,000 (1,000 per segment).

Otherwise, looks nice.

Thanks very much for the bug report! It was only giving you the segment minimum miles if you were traveling on fares lower than YBM - which is how I read the rules as posted on delta.com - but apparently my reading was wrong. It's now fixed.

Does this mean that there is no way you could be awarded less than 500 redeemable miles on a DL revenue fare class? (Excluding consolidator fares etc.)

BOISJC744 Jun 1, 2007 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by ttjoseph (Post 7834987)

Does this mean that there is no way you could be awarded less than 500 redeemable miles on a DL revenue fare class? (Excluding consolidator fares etc.)

Yes, this is correct.

boazs Jun 1, 2007 5:43 pm

There's also www.MileCalc.com, which supports Delta's booking class bonuses & elite level bonuses.

Also, MileCalc's distance calculations are done using the precise "great circle distance", used by most North American FFPs.

Click here http://www.milecalc.com/schmutzig/?p...FK-ATL-CVG-JFK and then play with the options: Select "Delta SkyMiles", and then select the booking class and elite level.

Bonzz Jun 2, 2007 1:11 am

Thanks for the tool....I actually wrote Delta.com an email a year ago asking them to reinstate the MQM calculator tool that used to be on the website....I don't understand why it isn't there anymore.

GaryO3 Jun 2, 2007 8:33 am

Originally Posted by ttjoseph (Post 7834987)
Thanks very much for the bug report! It was only giving you the segment minimum miles if you were traveling on fares lower than YBM - which is how I read the rules as posted on delta.com - but apparently my reading was wrong. It's now fixed.

As previously mentioned, yes 500 is the minimum you can earn on any DL flight. Wonder why it worked on the outbound K segments?

ttjoseph Jun 2, 2007 1:30 pm

I had just interpreted the rules incorrectly, thinking that B fares were ineligible for the 500-mile minimum. From delta.com:

* Discounted fares: 500 miles minimum or actual miles flown, whichever is greater, or
* Y, B, or M class of service: 150% of mileage

Because of the bolded "or" (emphasis not mine), it sure looks to me like YBM fares give you 150% of actual flown miles, without the 500-mile minimum. But that is not actually the case, as you said, and a dummy booking I just tried confirms.

Marq Aug 25, 2007 4:15 am

Question Regarding YBM Fare Skymiles Bonus

It has been almost 10 months since I have flown DL and I think all knowledge I have had about skymiles has been seeping away.

I am looking to book NRT - LAX with return LAX - ATL - NRT using M fare class. Delta.com says that I will earn 14249 Skymiles and 21374 MQM (using KE instead of NW so get 150% MQM). However, from what I can see on delta.com and what is reported earlier on this thread, I should get 21374 Skymiles instead of 14249 (plus 14249 skymiles for PM bonus). Or, do I just get 150% MQM on KE and not 150% of skymiles thus lower total to 18,649?

I can see online my records from last year where I did get 150% for M and B fares; I just don't know if there has been a change or whether delta.com is just wrong.

thanks,
Marc

RSSrsvp Aug 25, 2007 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Bonzz (Post 7836168)
Thanks for the tool....I actually wrote Delta.com an email a year ago asking them to reinstate the MQM calculator tool that used to be on the website....I don't understand why it isn't there anymore.

I had also emailed them concerning this tool. Perhaps Randy can get Jeff Robertson to do a live chat in the near future and we can suggest this to him.

DLfan Aug 25, 2007 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Marq (Post 8291634)
I can see online my records from last year where I did get 150% for M and B fares; I just don't know if there has been a change or whether delta.com is just wrong.

(If I understand your question correctly) Delta coded flights still earn 150% for YBM fares on both MQMs and SMs.

lmurgia Aug 25, 2007 12:14 pm

I got a cheap rate for a mileage run SYR-EWR-SAN-ATL (less than $200 - almost unheard of out of SYR. Imagine my surprise when the first 2 legs earned only 50% MQM because they were on Continental metal. I had thought (and previously experienced) full MQM on all Delta coded flights!

boazs Oct 29, 2009 11:07 am

Originally Posted by boazs (Post 7835143)
There's also www.MileCalc.com, which supports Delta's booking class bonuses & elite level bonuses.

Also, MileCalc's distance calculations are done using the precise "great circle distance", used by most North American FFPs.

Click here http://www.milecalc.com/schmutzig/?p...FK-ATL-CVG-JFK and then play with the options: Select "Delta SkyMiles", and then select the booking class and elite level.

All future Diamonds: MileCalc.com now supports all four elite levels.