Wiki Posts
Search

Is the India call center closing?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2007, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is the India call center closing?

There are some reports on the UA board that Delta is closing its India call center. Is that true?

It would be great news for Delta and its customers. I do not believe you can run a quality US airline with an India call center (at least with the type of miserable customer service that is so far typical of such centers). I haven't been bothered by the Delta ICC recently, though, because I usually only call Delta to make changes in my on-line reservations (usually due to Delta changing its schedule every month or so). Delta now gives you a prompt to "change your reservation" that seems to take you direct to a ticket-reissue desk in the US.

United offers no such service, and trying to "fix" your UA reservations is often as pleasant as a root canal.
Old May 16, 2007, 7:23 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
I don't know if they are shutting down all of them but I know that they have closed or will be closing one or some of them...
Old May 16, 2007, 8:51 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
They are from what I've heard. They are however replacing it with a call center in Jamaica. The India centers will however still be doing email replies.

They really should start doing smart shoring someplace like El Paso or something.
Old May 16, 2007, 8:59 am

They aren't all closed yet, or at least were not as of 2 weeks ago. The last time I dealt with them I got an agent who was both skilled and helpful and that was the first positive experience I've had with an Indian call center.

Could it be that they are closing them down now that the agents are finally getting trained? Or maybe it's that downsizing has caused only the better agents to be kept on.
Old May 16, 2007, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
They still had at least one person answering the phones yesterday (when was given some questionable answers to award travel related questions).
Old May 16, 2007, 11:50 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
This is becoming a trend in the industry. India is feeling a big bubble burst because they cannot keep up with demand. Demand for labor is driving the price up and many call center employees are seeing big raises to just move from one company to another. There is no longevity pay-scale and so the overall costs are rising. In addition to that they are competing with english speaking developing countries all over the world that have realized they too can woo
American companies.

If Delta would just open a call center in Silver Bay Minnesota or some other depressed part of the country they could have US english speakers with a more moderate price tag than is seen in places like Atlanta.
Old May 16, 2007, 1:10 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Akulashark - that is called smart shoring - my company is doing it in Augusta, GA and El Paso, TX. I think the downsides of off shoring are starting to show themselves.
Old May 16, 2007, 1:12 pm

Uggghhh, not to discriminate, but I usually find Jamaicans harder to communicate with than Indians. A lot of Jamaicans are great though, with and excellent attitude, but then there are the others.... the lazy ones...
Old May 16, 2007, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, AA
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DeltaRIC
Uggghhh, not to discriminate, but I usually find Jamaicans harder to communicate with than Indians. A lot of Jamaicans are great though, with and excellent attitude, but then there are the others.... the lazy ones...

Hey Delta RIC, not to get all PC on 'ya but... that some people are great and some are lazy could be said about virtually any country or culture. I've certainly had employees right here in the good ole' USA who fit into both categories.

There has been much negative talk on this and other forums about the India call centers. Delta should have realized that they were routing their customer service calls to a place where there was a very limited pool of experienced employees from which to recruit. The fault lies with DL for the decision and lack of necessary training. Simply moving the centers from India to Jamacia (or any other location) will not solve the problem. Wherever DL decided to put them, it seems that the call centers would benefit from effective management and more much comprehensive training for the rep's.
Old May 16, 2007, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
We can only hope so. I've had nothing but problems with those call centers...wouldn't be so bad if they knew ALL the rules regarding seats / SkyTeam benefits / upgrades / etc. Simply can't do a lot for us. Hope DL learned from the numerous complaints it's received and will bring everything back on shore here.
Old May 16, 2007, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gilpin
They aren't all closed yet, or at least were not as of 2 weeks ago. The last time I dealt with them I got an agent who was both skilled and helpful and that was the first positive experience I've had with an Indian call center.

Could it be that they are closing them down now that the agents are finally getting trained? Or maybe it's that downsizing has caused only the better agents to be kept on.
Maybe you spoke to a US based agent who happened to be Indian? Hey...it could happen!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.