FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Airports Where Delta is the ONLY operating carrier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/687959-airports-where-delta-only-operating-carrier.html)

CMHFlyerOH Apr 29, 2007 7:45 pm

Airports Where Delta is the ONLY operating carrier

Are there any airports where Delta is the only operating carrier?

joejones Apr 29, 2007 7:49 pm

ILG comes to mind, but that's actually ASA.

There are a bunch of feeder airports in the Southeast which are basically split between DL and US. GNV and ILM come to mind.

jimrpa Apr 29, 2007 7:49 pm

A few years ago, DL was the only carrier at DAB. Then CO came in with 1 RJ per day. Then UA came in with one RJ per day for a while and left. Now Airtran is there as well. Basically, it breaks down as 6-7 DL flights/day, 1 CO RJ flight/day (sometimes 2 RJ flights/day), and 1-2 Airtran flights/day.

Traveller Apr 29, 2007 7:54 pm

MLB only has DL.

There is some no name airline that flies to the Bahamas once or twice a day.

mersk862 Apr 29, 2007 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 7660274)
A few years ago, DL was the only carrier at DAB. Then CO came in with 1 RJ per day. Then UA came in with one RJ per day for a while and left. Now Airtran is there as well. Basically, it breaks down as 6-7 DL flights/day, 1 CO RJ flight/day (sometimes 2 RJ flights/day), and 12 Airtran flights/day.

12 AirTran flights a day? That's a big jump in capacity.

Anyways, here are cities where DL is the only airline:

Massena, NY (Big Sky to Watertown)
Ogdensburg, NY (Big Sky to Watertown)
Watertown, NY (Big Sky to ALB, BOS)
Trenton, NJ (Comair to ATL, BOS)
Southern Pines, NC (ASA to ATL)
Brunswick, GA (ASA to ATL)
Valdosta, GA (ASA/ATL)
Albany, GA (ASA/ATL)
Macon, GA (ASA/ATL)
Columbus, GA (ASA/ATL)
Dothan, AL (ASA/ATL)
Marathon, FL (ASA/ATL)

bosnyc Apr 29, 2007 7:59 pm

Does anyone else serve TTN?

mersk862 Apr 29, 2007 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by bosnyc (Post 7660314)
Does anyone else serve TTN?

Nope - just Comair to BOS and ATL. PHL is about 30 miles away, EWR about 40 miles away.

Other cities that are DL-only are Elko, NV (SkyWest/SLC), Wilmington, DE (ATL, forget which DLC carrier), and West Yellowstone, MT (SkyWest/SLC).

sxf24 Apr 29, 2007 8:11 pm

Pocatello-PIH, now that GQ has pulled out.

DLfan Apr 29, 2007 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller (Post 7660289)
MLB only has DL.

So DL is NOT the only carrier at MLB.

MuAT Apr 29, 2007 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 7660274)
A few years ago, DL was the only carrier at DAB. Then CO came in with 1 RJ per day. Then UA came in with one RJ per day for a while and left. Now Airtran is there as well. Basically, it breaks down as 6-7 DL flights/day, 1 CO RJ flight/day (sometimes 2 RJ flights/day), and 12 Airtran flights/day.

I believe Airtran is currently at 6 flights/day, not 12.

TTT Apr 29, 2007 9:33 pm

WYS only has DL/OO to SLC. It is summer only though.

PDX-RDM-AVL-TPA Apr 29, 2007 10:01 pm

The only one that I've found in my travels is MCN (Macon, GA), which has already been mentioned.

Starting June 7, Delta will start serving SLE (Salem, Oregon), and it will be the only carrier at least for a while. SkyWest will serve the airport for Delta Connection with two flights per day to and from SLC.

Commercial flights ended from SLE in 1993 as too many passengers went to nearby PDX and EUG (mainly PDX). I remember occasionally flying out of SLE as a child. But not often, we usually went to PDX since it was closer.

I may get the chance to try out the new service in late June.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see other carriers follow if Delta has success. Particulary Horizon Air (Alaska), which services a lot of smaller airports in Oregon.

WBurcham Apr 29, 2007 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller (Post 7660289)
MLB only has DL.

That'd be Baer Air which is actually run by a family that I know very well (coincidentally the Baer's, the father is an ex-United pilot). They are a charter carrier more than a scheduled passenger service airline.

indufan Apr 30, 2007 12:50 am

I thought that CDC was one but it looks like it's now US Air Express. What is up with that anyway? US Air Express also serves Vernal UT out of SLC. I realize that these are probably the mandatory air service thing but if the government was going to make someone fly it, wouldn't it make sense to make it be SkyWest? St George only has SkyWest but they fly under both the UA and DL colors there.

Is MLB the only airport that has Delta mainline and no other scheduled service?

Originally Posted by PDX-RDM-AVL-TPA (Post 7660807)
Starting June 7, Delta will start serving SLE (Salem, Oregon), and it will be the only carrier at least for a while. SkyWest will serve the airport for Delta Connection with two flights per day to and from SLC.

Didn't David Lightman fly Horizon into Salem in 1983?

MastaHanky Apr 30, 2007 1:03 am

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 7661239)
I thought that CDC was one but it looks like it's now US Air Express. What is up with that anyway? US Air Express also serves Vernal UT out of SLC. I realize that these are probably the mandatory air service thing but if the government was going to make someone fly it, wouldn't it make sense to make it be SkyWest? St George only has SkyWest but they fly under both the UA and DL colors there.

CDC was a Skywest EAS airport forever ... I think it was over 30 years.

Just this last year, the government decided to award the EAS contract to Mesa ... they were about 10% cheaper. When the contract was first awarded, there was a large uproar from CDC. Over 50% of the traffic from CDC is destined for SLC, and nobody wanted to connect in Vegas or Phoenix. They relented and now fly CDC-SLC, along with Vernal and I believe Ely, Nevada.

The residents of CDC still complain about the new carrier ... they say the service isn't anywhere as good as it was with Skywest. Not to mention having to make the drive to SGU if you want to earn or use Skymiles...