Wiki Posts
Search

More Big Sky To Boston

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:15 am
Original Poster

More Big Sky To Boston

http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/070409/116999.html

DL announces Big Sky from Boston to Allentown, Burlington and Islip. Also, more service from Boston to Albany.

Is this service to protect gates? Boston doesn't offer service internationally as of today. Just curious as to the reasons behind this new service.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Gold, Marriot Silver
Alitalia and AF have flights from Boston. Maybe they will put their codeshares on these new flights.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: DL DM
I don't understand all the new BOS service either. I can see coming from upstate New York via Boston. (Moreover, I think that service is government subsidized.) Going ABE/ISP-BOS-Anywhere, makes almost no sense when you can use CVG or ATL just as easily and have many more options.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
"Delta Connection carrier Big Sky Airlines will operate the new service using 19-seat Beechcraft 1900D aircraft, featuring stand-up cabins. "

Just what BOS doesn't need: additional congestion caused by 19-seat aircraft utilizing valuable slots.

Alright, I have to ask: what exactly is a "stand-up" cabin?
Old Apr 9, 2007, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OldRoyal
"Delta Connection carrier Big Sky Airlines will operate the new service using 19-seat Beechcraft 1900D aircraft, featuring stand-up cabins. "

Just what BOS doesn't need: additional congestion caused by 19-seat aircraft utilizing valuable slots.

Alright, I have to ask: what exactly is a "stand-up" cabin?
No slots in BOS... only ORD, JFK, LGA and DCA in the US. Agree with more needless congestion!

Stand-up cabin refers to the older generation of 19 seaters (Metros and the earlier 1900s) that were closer to cigar tubes (Metro especially) and required one to more or less crawl to your seat.....

If you have to be a 19 seater, these are way better.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mizzou miles
No slots in BOS... only ORD, JFK, LGA and DCA in the US. Agree with more needless congestion!
LGB and SNA also have slots.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sxf24
LGB and SNA also have slots.
Slightly different (these are mandated by the local government vs the DOT) but point well taken. I also dont think SNA and LGB are specific take-off and landing time windows but just overall caps on # of flights, no matter what time of day (outside of curfew, of course)
Old Apr 9, 2007, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by alb222
Is this service to protect gates?
Considering that DL has already agreed with Massport to give up a number of gates, no.

Boston doesn't offer service internationally as of today.
Bermuda, Cancun, Frederiction, Halifax, Mexico City*, Milan*, Paris*, Quebec.

Just curious as to the reasons behind this new service.
Rebuilding what the 2 sons-of-b!tches Allen and Mullin destroyed, and laying the foundation for a possible new home for some of their ex-TWA 757s.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta
I suppose DL must be doing alright considering they keep adding more Big Sky service out of BOS. DL should be able to do alright considering on most if not all these Big Sky routes, all they need to do is fill 19 seats 2 times daily to a lot of these cities.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by motormadness
I suppose DL must be doing alright considering they keep adding more Big Sky service out of BOS. DL should be able to do alright considering on most if not all these Big Sky routes, all they need to do is fill 19 seats 2 times daily to a lot of these cities.

My understanding is that these routes are being done at the financial risk of Big Sky and NOT Delta. This is a different financial relationship than DL has with SkyWest, for example, where DL pays SkyWest per departure and it is up to DL to fill the seats. In this case, through fares are pro-rated through some formula. Big Sky may be tapping into some regional or local travel banks for subsidies on some of these routes (I have no idea!).

Personally, for the amount of lift that is being offered, I am not looking forward to the ramp/taxiway congestion that might be created with two dozen Beech 1900 flights every day at BOS. Not to mention the runways and approach corridors. And what ever happened to those relatively pleasant 32 passenger jets that ACA used to fly out of BOS for DL?
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Personally, for the amount of lift that is being offered, I am not looking forward to the ramp/taxiway congestion that might be created with two dozen Beech 1900 flights every day at BOS. Not to mention the runways and approach corridors. And what ever happened to those relatively pleasant 32 passenger jets that ACA used to fly out of BOS for DL?
I think most, if not all, are sitting down at MYR in storage. ACA had to leave due to Independence Air operating A319s, so the FRJs were gone. I heard they were relatively expensive to operate, so it makes sense that they left the fleet.

As for Big Sky, the good news is that the Beech 1900s can operate on 14/32 (the new runway) and can definetely land on 15L/33R (that short 2500 ft runway that you taxi over to get to 22R/L; not sure if they can take off on that one), so that should help some congestion, especially when 33L/27 is the primary configuration (they'll be able to use the alternates). Now, when it's 22/27, 4/9 or just 4 or 22, then it doesn't help. But still, it seems like 27/33 is common in summer.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by mersk862
I think most, if not all, are sitting down at MYR in storage. ACA had to leave due to Independence Air operating A319s, so the FRJs were gone. I heard they were relatively expensive to operate, so it makes sense that they left the fleet.

As for Big Sky, the good news is that the Beech 1900s can operate on 14/32 (the new runway) and can definetely land on 15L/33R (that short 2500 ft runway that you taxi over to get to 22R/L; not sure if they can take off on that one), so that should help some congestion, especially when 33L/27 is the primary configuration (they'll be able to use the alternates). Now, when it's 22/27, 4/9 or just 4 or 22, then it doesn't help. But still, it seems like 27/33 is common in summer.
The new runway 14/32 is a "one-way" runway... landings only on Rwy 32 and takeoffs only on Runway 14. One cannot use 32 for takeoffs. This is because the airport Hyatt sits right at the end of the runway.

I can assure you that they would not use the short 2500 foot 15L/33R for takeoffs... that would lose all safety margins. They may be willing to accept takeoffs on 33L from taxiway G as that leaves approx 7000 feet remaining for takeoff.

I am fearful about the congestion on the taxiways in front of terminal B... DL mainline often waits for traffic to clear before proceeding in or out as it stands right now. Throw a couple of dozen Beech flights into the mix... well, we will just have to see.

Here is a detailed plan of LOgan runways and taxiways:

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0703/00058AD.PDF

Last edited by RobertS975; Apr 9, 2007 at 8:02 pm Reason: added the link
Old Apr 9, 2007, 8:12 pm

Don't forget the use of the new runway is limited to when the wind exceeds 10 knots per hour from the northwest.

Article
Old Apr 9, 2007, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by RobertS975

I am fearful about the congestion on the taxiways in front of terminal B... DL mainline often waits for traffic to clear before proceeding in or out as it stands right now. Throw a couple of dozen Beech flights into the mix... well, we will just have to see.
It's been getting worse too now that Air Canada has moved into the former DL Shuttle gates (B1-B3). In my two trips to BOS since they moved, I've had to hold both times for a departing AC A319 one time, a CRJ the other. With BOS being a fairly busy Air Canada station (around 20 daily departures), this does add up at times when they're trying to get out and a DL flight is trying to get in.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA *G
Wow, CO and DL both flying BTV-BOS with Beeches.. although CO only flies one daily with bad times, still...
They failed miserably with Comair, business express failed, us airways beeches failed on btv-bos. good luck delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.