Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-LAX-SBA Options (mostly) Gone

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2007, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DM/3MM
JFK-LAX-SBA Options (mostly) Gone

I should know this, but...are there any other codeshares aside from American Eagle from LAX to SBA? I fly JFK-LAX-SBA often, and, it appears, that due to AE dropping their last flight of the day, it's no longer possible to travel on the late afternoon/early evening JFK-LAX flights and connect into SBA. (Well, there is one that has a 35 min connection, which is not feasible from T5/6 to the T4 satellite, and that's the last flight of the day.) There is the loathsome CRJ option at SLC, but it's a tight connection, and if you miss it, you don't get into SBA until 12:30pm the following day. (AE has early am flights if you get stuck overnight.) I always leave from work so can't travel before 3pm, and was wondering if DL ties into any other codeshares at LAX...checked the online schedule, but for some reason that doesn't always display all options.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 2:53 pm

The only other airline that flies LAX-SBA is UAX. UAX is not a DL partner.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 3:17 pm

Programs: Sky Miles Gold Medallion, American Airlines Platnium, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I should know this, but...are there any other codeshares aside from American Eagle from LAX to SBA? I fly JFK-LAX-SBA often, and, it appears, that due to AE dropping their last flight of the day, it's no longer possible to travel on the late afternoon/early evening JFK-LAX flights and connect into SBA. (Well, there is one that has a 35 min connection, which is not feasible from T5/6 to the T4 satellite, and that's the last flight of the day.) There is the loathsome CRJ option at SLC, but it's a tight connection, and if you miss it, you don't get into SBA until 12:30pm the following day. (AE has early am flights if you get stuck overnight.) I always leave from work so can't travel before 3pm, and was wondering if DL ties into any other codeshares at LAX...checked the online schedule, but for some reason that doesn't always display all options.
I would imagine there is a JFK-SFO-SBA that is also served by AE but I am not sure. I have a bunch of flights booked BOS-SLC-SBA which I am not looking forward to. I have yet to miss the tight connection but the last time through the SBA flight was delayed 30 mins or I would have missed it. There really are not a lot of options for getting to SBA. You could connect in ATl to OXR can't you?
Old Mar 28, 2007, 5:04 pm

Programs: Delta
The DL/American Eagle code share is only valid through LAX. SFO-SBA would not be valid on a DL ticket.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:14 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
SBA Options

SBA is a tough airport.

When it was my home airport, I always made a point of avoiding the SBA-LAX flights, as they had a fairly high likelihood of canceling them (weather, lack of pax, etc) and putting everyone in a van.

That's how I went from being an AA guy when I moved to Santa Barbara to being an HP guy after I moved. The HP flights to PHX and LAS were almost never canceled.

As for this particular problem, I'm not sure what's happening, because the late AE flight is still on the AE schedule, it's just not coming up on DL itins.

It is coming on CO itins...if it's that important to you.

Now that I've moved east, I've actually done the JFK-SLC-SBA trip and the 4:20 departure gives more than hour to connect in SLC.

If this is your most common routing, it may be time to say adios to DL though, since between UA and US, *A have the most options into and out of SBA.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DM/3MM
I think that AE is getting rid of the late flights in April or May, and that the last flight will be 8:45pm. (Fyi, found out about the codeshare changes when I saw the schedule changes on itineraries this summer.) Please let me know if there's a later flight.

Good to know that CO is an option, but EWR is worse than JFK, plus can't get upgraded. I generally don't have problems with LAX-SBA cancellations, but I never do that routing Jan - Apr when weather can be a problem. Though AE's handling of irrops at SBA makes JetBlue during irrops look like a model of communication and efficiency...

Given the JFK delays, there's a good chance (even with padded schedules) of missing the SLC connection. Might be back to UA for these runs if I think I can get status again (hard now though without JFK-LHR and JFK-NRT, especially the latter).

None of these are great solutions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.