Wiki Posts
Search

Delta vs Air France

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2002, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Delta vs. Air France award ticket

Hello everyone,

I am planning to book an award ticket using my Delta miles. The flight originates at LAX and will connect at CDG to another flight going to BOM.

If I fly Delta from LAX, it seems like I will need to make a connection through Cincinnati, ATL, or JFK. If I take Air France, I can go nonstop.

Does anyone know if Delta will permit this? If so, are the mileage redemption levels different for using Air France?

I plan to stay in Paris a couple of days before going onward, so there shouldn't be any timing issues with regards to catching the connecting flight.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 5, 2002, 9:13 am

Yes, this is permitted. You would request an AF award ticket using DL miles. The award to India is 120k in coach (F151), 185k in biz (F251). You cannot make the same-day connection eastbound, so an overnight in Paris is required.

The DL awards are cheaper, at 80k coach (D151) and 100k biz (D251) but will require a connection in JFK. The JFK-BOM service is one-stop (CDG), same-plane. IMO, the DL award is the way to go - a lot fewer miles and B/E all the way. You should also be able to do the stopover in Paris, if desired.
Old Apr 5, 2002, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the tips. I discovered this unpleasant surprise that AF tickets are 85000 miles extra per ticket, so I think a stopover at JFK is worth the 85000 miles I am saving.

BTW - What's Paris like in November? Stopping over in Paris sounded like a much more appealing option than going the UAL route and stopping in Frankfurt

My mother would rather see the Eiffel Tower than the Autobahn...
Old Apr 5, 2002, 4:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
Paris is a great place to visit in November. It hasn't gotten too terribly cold yet, but you could get a bit of drizzly rain. A taxi to downtown should be less than $40 each way.

Be sure to stop by the Air France ticket counter before heading out. They have an assortment of maps available for free. My favorite is the Walks through Europe - Paris by Bert Lief. In it they describe four different walks beginning and ending at well known landmarks.

Of course, if nothing else, dinner by the Eiffel Tower is always a great treat - and there are many magnifique restaurants in the area to choose from. Too bad you won't be able to stop over for a few days

GMF
Old Apr 5, 2002, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Paris is wonderful in November--great walking weather. Hope you have the time to enjoy it. I believe you mentioned that you are going to be there overnight. Will you be staying in the city or at an airport hotel? I would be curious to know what time you arrive & than depart as rush hour traffic between Paris & CDG can just be brutal. IF you don't have the time to make it into the city, you can best see, on approach, the Eiffel Tower from the left side of the airfcraft. Just re-read your initial post--see that you'll be there a couple of days. That's great!

[This message has been edited by obscure2k (edited 04-05-2002).]
Old Apr 5, 2002, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
I would actually recommend taking the RER from CDG into Paris, rather than a taxi during high-traffic hours. It's quite convenient from where the AF flights wind up, and it connects fairly easily to the metro as well...

I made great use of a 4-hour layover last year that way.

Dan
Old Apr 5, 2002, 11:22 pm

Programs: Skymiles GOLD, Frq +, Klm GOLD, Miles & More, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, MilleMerci (Avis FR)
thee is a code shared flight with Delta on AF between LAX and CDG.
I was on waithlist for an upgrade on it one month ago, so you can request from Delta an reward on this flight too.

If you fligh coach, youshould not have to much difficulty, but on biz, I suspect they only have 2 or 4 seats, so you should ne on the waitlist up to the last week.

Otherwise, flying through CVG would be probably better than through JFK, and it always better to enjoy an 8 hours night han a 7 one.

If you fligh through CVG, you'll arrive at 8h20, and, depending if you have carry-on on registred luggages, you be outside between 9:00 and 9:30.

The best is to walk to the RER (5 minutes walking, BTW there is a free excelelnt coffee just BEFORE the 'douane', and the RER will drop you off 35 minutes later downtown very convenienetly and cheap (around 5 euros)

Direct flight leave in the evening but lands at midday.
Old Apr 7, 2002, 9:51 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by danM:
I made great use of a 4-hour layover last year that way</font>
Clearly pre-9/11
Old Apr 7, 2002, 10:08 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

LAX/CDG codeshare upgrade is about the toughest ticket I am aware of. At times, I have looked for this 9 months out with no success. A couple of times I have lucked out at the last minute--however, I had confirmed upgrade res via CVG. When the AF space cleared, I was delighted, as it really is nice to take the non-stop from LAX. However, bear in mind, that if that non-stop AF space clears, you will have to pay (I think) $150 for the itinerary change. On the other hand, the Lax/cvg/cdg connection is quite nice. DL 44 CVG/CDG is quite nice; good crew and service.
Old Apr 8, 2002, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your tips! I ended up doing the following itinerary:

LAX-JFK, JFK-CDG, (layover), CDG-BOM

I get into Paris Thursday morning and then fly onward to Bombay on Sunday (3 days later).

I got biz tickets on Delta. It was 100k miles versus the 185k miles on Air France. I figured the 3 hour layover at JFK was worth saving 85k miles per ticket.

I plan on staying at the Prince de Galles hotel, since I have some Starwood miles that would cover the stay. I've heard it's a nice hotel, and you can't beat the price - $0!

Please let me know if you all need anything from Paris in November

[This message has been edited by juanvaldez (edited 04-08-2002).]
Old Apr 9, 2002, 3:47 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by juanvaldez:
I got biz tickets on Delta. It was 100k miles versus the 185k miles on Air France. I figured the 3 hour layover at JFK was worth saving 85k miles per ticket.</font>
I don't know which flights exactly you are on, but assuming you are on the later JFK-CDG flight - you can standby with for the earlier JFK-CDG flight...
Old Apr 9, 2002, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Can you still stand-by for the earlier flight if your luggage is checked on the later flight? I'm wondering if the airline will have enough time to move the bags over if the flight clears?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rcs85551:
I don't know which flights exactly you are on, but assuming you are on the later JFK-CDG flight - you can standby with for the earlier JFK-CDG flight...</font>
Old Apr 9, 2002, 9:37 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Sure, you can. All you have to do is tell the agent before your bags are being checked. They receive a special standby tag and are only cleared onto the flight if you are.
Old Jul 2, 2002, 1:57 pm

Delta vs Air France FFP

Hi,

I will be traveling between Los Angeles and Paris (Business Class) and then onto Geneva Italy a few times during the next year.

Q. Should I join Air France's frequent flyer program or Delta's?

Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2002, 2:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
First off, let me extend you a welcome to Flyer Talk! I think you'll find most of the regulars here to be quite willing to share info.

As to your question, a lot would depend on if you plan to fly DL domestically in the US or not. With the number of trips you mention, you will should make Gold status quite easily, and possibly Platinum.

If you were to make Plat on DL, and you plan to fly domestic US, the DL might be the better choice. If all of your travel will be intra-Europe except for the x-pond flights, the AF might be the better choice.

Of course, ymmv ...

GMF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.