Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Flying Colors" Identity Theme Going Away? Upcoming New Livery...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Flying Colors" Identity Theme Going Away? Upcoming New Livery...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:41 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Lehava
I think you are right but at least on the tail it looks like they went too far on the difference between the shades and lost the shadowed look and truly it looks like another color. They overdid the difference
That could be possible.

My guess is that the distinct shade difference is to evoke the sun shining on the “widget”, creating the shadow effect. Note how the lighter portion of the “widget” is “facing” the sun as though it were exposed to it.

Of course, for most of a flight, the “widget” will be “exposed to the sun”. This effect may not work as well on a cloudy or rainy day while the aircraft is at the gate...
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Hmm. I'm not totally opposed to it, but I'd say keep that one in mind and keep looking for a bit.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I just dont see how this is in line with the new marketing look of the ticket jackets, ads, signage, etc. that has been rolled out recently. Im almost in disbelief that this is what the creative design team came up with...it looks gloomy and unfinished. (which Im hoping it is, at least the latter!)
either its unfinished or a photoshop exercise by the creative team.

Last edited by idtm; Apr 6, 2007 at 8:44 pm Reason: Claification
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
That tail has GOT to GO...why are airlines now into mutilating their logos on tails (is this the new "Eurowhite" trend?) Air India's new tail on their 777s chops off part of the logo; UA's new one chops off parts of the "U", and now we have this mutilated Widget...except for us FFers and other die-hard DL fans who instantly recognized the Widget on the tail, how does the casual flyer even know, just by looking at the tail that that red thing is supposed to be a widget? The whole point of a tail design on an airplane is to inspire immediate recognition of a brand....this half-inverted chopped-off widget on the tail does no such thing, I'm afraid....
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:51 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by Canarsie
That could be possible.

My guess is that the distinct shade difference is to evoke the sun shining on the “widget”, creating the shadow effect. Note how the lighter portion of the “widget” is “facing” the sun as though it were exposed to it.

Of course, for most of a flight, the “widget” will be “exposed to the sun”. This effect may not work as well on a cloudy or rainy day while the aircraft is at the gate...
I agree with you that that is the concept it looks like they are going with, but you have to do that subtly to get it to work well and "pop" as sort of 3 d, they went too far and the effect is going to be lost on many I would think.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I agree with you that that is the concept it looks like they are going with, but you have to do that subtly to get it to work well and "pop" as sort of 3 d, they went too far and the effect is going to be lost on many I would think.
Well, I can tell you that, like you and others, I did not get the “three-dimensional” look at first glance.

All I saw was a “widget” split into two different colors — not just shades.

For what it is worth, I do like the new look, but I am reserved about it. The observations that I am imparting about the new look are just that: observations based on a cursory look on my part. I do not necessarily agree with everything about the new look, but I do believe it is a step in the right direction.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:13 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Well, I can tell you that, like you and others, I did not get the “three-dimensional” look at first glance.

All I saw was a “widget” split into two different colors — not just shades.

For what it is worth, I do like the new look, but I am reserved about it. The observations that I am imparting about the new look are just that: observations based on a cursory look on my part. I do not necessarily agree with everything about the new look, but I do believe it is a step in the right direction.
I think the flat (solid) blue behind it also hurts the concept. There wouldnt be a light/shadow on the widget without there also being a difference on the blue where light was hitting it
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
That tail reminds me of NW. Maybe there's stuff cooking as always..
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I think the flat (solid) blue behind it also hurts the concept. There wouldnt be a light/shadow on the widget without there also being a difference on the blue where light was hitting it
Not if the 3-dimensional widget was resting on a solid blue background.

Actually, I love the new scheme. The only thing I would change (as I said in the other thread) is the widget "pointing" "NorthWest". I'd have gone with a straight-up widget, bleeding off the edges of the tail. Otherwise, it's very classy and elegant (and thank GOD they got rid of the stupid "typewriter" font!)
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:24 pm

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Dang, the photo's gone. Could someone repost?
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drbond
Ok, the video was kinda neat and the Russian dancer was attractive, but still - The lyrics of the song are in Welsh! How many Americans speak Welsh? For that matter, how many peoiple in the world speak Welsh? Heck, how many people in Wales routinely speak Welsh?

The song alone, still sounds like a funeral dirge to me.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

I agree — especially on the old Boeing 747 aircraft, as the “widget” looked awkward on the tail.Due to the shape of the tail, the bleed effect that you like would not work nearly as well on the tail had the new “widget” been in its proper orientation.

Trust me on this one...
Thinking about it for a bit, I see what you mean. If you put the widget in a "normal" orientation, you'd end up bleeding too much of the widget off the back end of the tail and it wouldn't be recognizable at all. Pity.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 2:44 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
After spending some time digesting the new livery, I sorta like it. I think it looks sharp. I would really like to see it in real life though.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 4:35 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Originally Posted by BostonGuy
Dang, the photo's gone. Could someone repost?
Yes, please!!! I'd like to see what all the fuss is about. For the record, I also liked the Flying Colors motif--I thought it was VERY classy, unfussy, understated and original. I await a glimpse of this new livery with fear and trepidation--seems like no one likes it!

PS. At least I gather from what it being said that it is not a predominantly blue tail--I've noted at international airports around the world that blue tails seem to be all the rage--I find them boring.

PPS. I like the "adieumus" song (the dancer is gorgeous) but I'm not sure it says "air travel" to me...it has a slightly upscale hotel-chain feel about it. Rhapsody in Blue was a brilliant choice for United, I thought. Slightly frenetic...very American...really evoked business travel for me.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 6:33 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
What a disappointment to wake up to.....I'm hoping this is just the first in a series of design models.

A giveaway is there's no registration number on the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.