Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Flying Colors" Identity Theme Going Away? Upcoming New Livery...

"Flying Colors" Identity Theme Going Away? Upcoming New Livery...

Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rcherskov
That's too bad. I think Delta has some of the prettiest tails of any plane!
Originally Posted by BOISJC744
While I am a fan of the current wavy scheme (and think that the tail is pretty now ), I am a big fan of the simplicity of the widget.
I agree but Jerry G doesn't. He said from the beginning that he never liked it. He probably felt like they didn't have the money to shitcan it before but might in the fairly near future. Of course, all of this is all about the every 3 year new livery that it seems like every airline goes through.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:55 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by indufan
I agree but Jerry G doesn't. He said from the beginning that he never liked it. He probably felt like they didn't have the money to shitcan it before but might in the fairly near future. Of course, all of this is all about the every 3 year new livery that it seems like every airline goes through.
If they do change it, I bet we can expect a lot of years before the fleet is finished. I think there are still a few of the Ron Allen era paint schemes flying around.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTT
If they do change it, I bet we can expect a lot of years before the fleet is finished. I think there are still a few of the Ron Allen era paint schemes flying around.
I think there are too. Sooner or later, they will end up with a dozen schemes in existence. Don't forget we still have Song painted planes flying around. I do understand the wave tail is quite expensive to paint since the rudder is weight sensitive.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA,CO, DL,FL,WN.US
"New" widget?

I'm hoping it's true, in a letter to Grinstein and I believe a post here also, I have called for the widget's real return, as well as some form of the old "redcoats".They sure did get things done when they needed to be done!
Those of us whose families feel for many reasons that Delta was their airline, have a special place in their hearts for the widget.So "Delta is ready when you are" probably won't be back, but it sure sounds good. Much better than "we know why you fly".(That would really upset Lewis Grizzard!!)Here's hoping the new revised Delta can bring back a mix of the old and new and move forward.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:41 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by TTT
I think there are still a few of the Ron Allen era paint schemes flying around.
They're probably holding out on repainting those until the new scheme is introduced - would be a waste now to repaint them into the "DeltaFlot" or "Wavy-Gravy" Mullin livery when a new look is imminent....
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:13 am

The tri-color "drape" on the tail is going bye-bye.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:13 am

...I don't know why this is bothering me so much, but it seems few-to-none here seem to be aware of the livery's actual name: Colors In Motion.

That said, whatever iteration of the Widget they bring back, pleeeeaaaase take a page from UA's advertisement success and bring back; and keep Adiemus as DL's official theme song!!!
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ConcordeBoy
That said... pleeeeaaaase ... bring back; and keep Adiemus as DL's official theme song!!!
I remember that song. It was o.k., but it just didn't seem to work for me. It sounded too sonorous and dirge-like. United's Rhapsody in Blue is much more upbeat and cheerful.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I don't know why this is bothering me so much, but it seems few-to-none here seem to be aware of the livery's actual name: Colors In Motion.
I am not sure why it bothers you so much either. Why is it important that we know the actual name and maybe just as important, why does it even have a name?
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta, SPG

That said, whatever iteration of the Widget they bring back, pleeeeaaaase take a page from UA's advertisement success and bring back; and keep Adiemus as DL's official theme song!!!
hey somebody finally picked up on it, however I still prefer the term "wavy-gravy"

that being said, the widget will look nice. altho i don't expect everyone to be pleased.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott, United, Enterprise
I just wonder if DL's new paint job will be NW's, too...
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:49 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
... whatever iteration of the Widget they bring back, pleeeeaaaase take a page from UA's advertisement success and bring back; and keep Adiemus as DL's official theme song!!!
Amen to that! ^
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:06 am
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
Delta has already gone back to using the traditional Widget. It's the triangular shaped one. Mullins changed it to look more like the curve of the horizon. In 2004 it was changed back because of employee feed back and nostalgia.

This is the traditional Widget http://www.museumofflight.org/Collec...E-296098AF095B

There is a picture of the Mullins version on this site
http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/con..._ship_get.html
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:09 am
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
The story of the Widget.

Jets Inspire “The Widget” Design

Today the triangle is a registered image used in Delta's aircraft livery, advertising, printed material, at airports and on ground equipment and Delta facilities. The first red, white and navy blue triangle emblem was introduced in 1959, when Delta entered the jet era with the introduction of the DC-8. Its shape resembles the swept wing appearance of a jet seen overhead.

Delta's advertising department described the trademark colors of red, white, and blue: “Within the strong outline of the triangle, the blue portion points to the sky where we fly—the point represents the pinnacle of professional achievement. Just entering the blue is the swept wing of the jet, represented by the broad white ‘V.’ The flat broad base suggests Delta's solid foundation. Colored red, it can be regarded not only as the exhaust behind the jet but also the flame of leadership that keeps the point headed upward.”
Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BFG
The story of the Widget.

Jets Inspire “The Widget” Design

Today the triangle is a registered image used in Delta's aircraft livery, advertising, printed material, at airports and on ground equipment and Delta facilities. The first red, white and navy blue triangle emblem was introduced in 1959, when Delta entered the jet era with the introduction of the DC-8. Its shape resembles the swept wing appearance of a jet seen overhead.

Delta's advertising department described the trademark colors of red, white, and blue: “Within the strong outline of the triangle, the blue portion points to the sky where we fly—the point represents the pinnacle of professional achievement. Just entering the blue is the swept wing of the jet, represented by the broad white ‘V.’ The flat broad base suggests Delta's solid foundation. Colored red, it can be regarded not only as the exhaust behind the jet but also the flame of leadership that keeps the point headed upward.”
Reading that description, I'm even more convinced that serious drug use isn't just a phenomena of the late 20th and 21st centuries, but was occurring as far back as the 1950s

Seriously though, whatever the symbolism (or no matter how many tabs of LSD one must consume to understand the symbolism), I do think that the widget is a cool logo for Delta, and am glad to see that it's coming back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.