Poor Handling of Cancelled Flight

Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No More Loyalty
Poor Handling of Cancelled Flight

Got a message from DL that my cross-country flight tomorrow AM was cancelled and that I was put on the next flight. The notice was nice, the rest, not so nice.

Web site wouldn't let me do anything with my supposed new flight. Guy in India told me he couldn't give me one of the few remaining window seats (there were no aisle seats left, which I booked early on to avoid the dreaded middle on this long flight) b/c I was actually on standby. Didn't believe him so got hold of a domestic agent. She said I was not on standby but was actually booked on the later flight, and further that I was assigned a seat but it wouldn't be disclosed to me until I got to the airport. When I questioned the new "secret seat" regimen, she acknowledged that I didn't really have a seat.

No one would divulge the reason for the cancellation. Pretty obvious it was fully discretional on DL's part.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I wouldn't waste time obsessing over the reason for the original flight cancellation. What would bother me is the seat assignment secrecy. After she told you that you didn't have a seat assignment, was she able to offer you a seat assignment? If not, did you ask her why she couldn't do a seat assignment?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
If it's cancelled on a day's notice, a flight today likely was also cancelled or changed such that the plane will not be in position for your flight tomorrow.

Second possibility is that a plane went mechanical or was delayed on another route (perhaps served by fewer flights/day), and it made economic sense to DL to pull a plane (and cancel a flight) from your route.

Whatever, the reservations desk is unlikely to be aware of the details. I think it's great that you were notified (beats finding out at the airport, which also limits your options somewhat). I'd email DL & complain about the seat-assignment run around.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:30 pm

Most likely all the pre-assignable seats were gone. A certain number are always held for airport assignment.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
How can the reservations desk be unaware of the reason for the cancellation? It's right there in the flight information.

I would not accept standby, if I were you. Furthermore, if you don't like leaving later, see if there is another way to get to your destination that is more appealing to you and ask for that routing instead.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Spiff
How can the reservations desk be unaware of the reason for the cancellation? It's right there in the flight information.
And if it only says "ain't got no plane"? Since the cancellation is tomorrow, the OP can try to look it up himself on http://www.delta.com
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:37 pm
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
Here's the deal. There is a software program that is run when a flight is cancelled called Auto Restore. It makes all the necessary changes to the reservation to relect all the new information. It also will add unseated passengers to the top of the standby list with a code (HK) that shows the passenger is confirmed without a seat assignment. HK stands for holds confirmed. This is normally only done after you've arrived at the airport.

Once you are added to the HK list there is an indicator next to the segment in your reservation STBY. This is probably where the agent got it that you were on stand by. You are only standing by for a seat assignment not the flight.

AGENTS HATE THIS PROGRAM. Although some of the things the program does are very helpful there are a couple of pieces to it that are not working well and create way too much extra work for the airport agents.

As you can tell it inhibits you from being able to assign a seat should one become available. Agents can't assign one either. It also inhibits you from being able to check in at the airport without having to see an agent. We've had gate agents clear passengers into seats when the people never even showed up at the airport. It has caused us delays looking for the passengers that were no place to be found. This program will also check people in for a flight which causes a whole list of other difficulties. Once this program is run it allows an agent to check you and your bags in 24 hours in advance rather than our standard six hours. We've had people auto restored to the same itinerary for the next day. The passengers and bags get checked in and sent to the gate. It's not until they actually attemt to board the flight that its noticed they've been rebooked for the next day. Usually we can't get their bags back because they aircraft has been loaded. These are not isolated incidents either. They happen over and over.

There is always griping about the hassles this program causes on our internal message board...sigh

I hope you'll let the Delta HQ's know how you feel about this program!!!
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Originally Posted by BFG
Here's the deal. There is a software program that is run when a flight is cancelled called Auto Restore. It makes all the necessary changes to the reservation to relect all the new information. It also will add unseated passengers to the top of the standby list with a code (HK) that shows the passenger is confirmed without a seat assignment. HK stands for holds confirmed. This is normally only done after you've arrived at the airport.

Once you are added to the HK list there is an indicator next to the segment in your reservation STBY. This is probably where the agent got it that you were on stand by. You are only standing by for a seat assignment not the flight.

AGENTS HATE THIS PROGRAM. Although some of the things the program does are very helpful there are a couple of pieces to it that are not working well and create way too much extra work for the airport agents.

As you can tell it inhibits you from being able to assign a seat should one become available. Agents can't assign one either. It also inhibits you from being able to check in at the airport without having to see an agent. We've had gate agents clear passengers into seats when the people never even showed up at the airport. It has caused us delays looking for the passengers that were no place to be found. This program will also check people in for a flight which causes a whole list of other difficulties. Once this program is run it allows an agent to check you and your bags in 24 hours in advance rather than our standard six hours. We've had people auto restored to the same itinerary for the next day. The passengers and bags get checked in and sent to the gate. It's not until they actually attemt to board the flight that its noticed they've been rebooked for the next day. Usually we can't get their bags back because they aircraft has been loaded. These are not isolated incidents either. They happen over and over.

There is always griping about the hassles this program causes on our internal message board...sigh

I hope you'll let the Delta HQ's know how you feel about this program!!!
Thank you for this useful information.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by BFG
Here's the deal. There is a software program that is run when a flight is cancelled called Auto Restore...
Last year, I had my initial outbound flight canceled, and was rebooked on a different routing. Lots of extra typing when I checked in for the outbound, but my favorite was checking in for the return flight. After pulling up my record, the agent said to me "How would you like to pay for this ticket, Mr. clarence5ybr?". I said I'd already paid for it, did she perhaps think I hadn't because I'd had IRROPS on my outbound flight and had been rebooked? With that explanation, she typed for quite a while, and I was fine (no need to pay for my ticket a second time!).
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:41 am
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Last year, I had my initial outbound flight canceled, and was rebooked on a different routing. Lots of extra typing when I checked in for the outbound, but my favorite was checking in for the return flight. After pulling up my record, the agent said to me "How would you like to pay for this ticket, Mr. clarence5ybr?". I said I'd already paid for it, did she perhaps think I hadn't because I'd had IRROPS on my outbound flight and had been rebooked? With that explanation, she typed for quite a while, and I was fine (no need to pay for my ticket a second time!).
Your electronic ticket probably got unhooked from the reservation. At first glance by an agent the reservation looks unticketed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.