Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Which would you like in the CRC, free wireless or a fee with tech support?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Which of the following options would you prefer in the Crown Room Club?
Free wireless internet access with no technical support.
100.00%
Fee-based wireless internet access with technical support.
0%
Not sure.
0%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Which would you like in the CRC, free wireless or a fee with tech support?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
The absurd thing is that there is a definite correlation between the price of a hotel and the price of WiFi! The cheapest hotels give you free Internet, and the more expensive the hotel is, the more extra you have to pay for it. I personally boycott hotels who do this as much as I can. Just too absurdly overpriced.
You ask for a room in a higher-end hotel that is closest to the nearest hotel with free wifi.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 1:21 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Free as almost all have said. Little reason to pay for tech support as few have problems with a wirless connection, and the few that do, probably not resolvable by a generic tech support. Probably related to configuations of corporate laptop settings or hardware problems.

Queston, why even start this post? Seems a no brainer. Is this an option DL is acutally considering, or just amusing yourslelf? I would think the few who would need technical support for accessing a wirless connection would be inexperinced/infrequent travlers. Generally not the targeted passengers for the CRC.

The only issue in recent memory I've seen with wirless in a lounge was with a traveling family that was stuggling to get a connection on their son's laptop. Tried to help, but quickly realized that it was an older laptop without a wirless card. Not much tech support can do about this.

Last edited by grahampros; Feb 10, 2007 at 1:32 am
Old Feb 10, 2007, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
As a current CRC member, I vote for free wifi without tech support, often choosing a PC over CRC where there is a choice.
Prefer CRC and have only had a few connectivity issues, those being outside the US.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 6:40 am

free wireless
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:07 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Ummm....let me think......gee, I guess "free" wins out!
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta DM
I guess I will go with the masses and say Free internet, some of us have wireless broadband cards that work anywhere. (A true Road Worrior)
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:29 am

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Free Internet

Flying in and out of FLL with free airport wireless spoils you when you are in ATL or other airports.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaCustomerInsights
OK--Let me ask everyone about this. Which of the following options would you prefer in the Crown Room Club?

Free wireless internet access with no technical support - Wireless internet access that would have no connection fee, but would have no technical support in case of connectivity issues. The connection would be available within the Crown Club only.
OR
Fee-based wireless internet access with technical support - Wireless internet access that would have a connection fee, but would have technical support available in case of connectivity issues. The connection would be available at venues outside the Crown Room Club, or even outside of the airport.

Frank Wrenn
Delta Customer Insights
Both are free in Northwest Worldclubs and Continental President's Clubs...Why cant DL do the same?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Free the internet!
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
The day Delta announces they are putting in free wireless is the day I buy a membership. It's a dealbreaker for me.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Free all the way
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, Starwood Gold, HHonors Gold
Indufan's suggestion re secure login using one's SkyMiles number is a great idea. That keeps down the number of 'wardrivers' trying to connect from outside the CRC, plus may allow easier use of some level of encryption. Those of us connecting to do work (and those trying to deal with personal finance) will appreciate it, Delta. This should also be FREE. Not just for the nickel-and-diming, but for the reduced complexity and freedom from dealing with yet another provider. When I'm traveling above all I crave simplicity.

Of course, adding encryption and login with unique passwords means the liklihood of actually needing tech support becomes far more real. Whenever my home wifi has an issue it is invariably related to encryption and login hiccups...
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Cholula
It's the norm for even low-budget hotels to offer free wireless access and I hope to see it in the CRC's in the near future.
My personal speculation is that they got into a contract with T-Mobile that isn't easy to get out of. However, you would think that they could get a judge to cancel that in a second. I still haven't signed up for CRC yet. I might, just might, do it without free Wi-Fi but I certainly will if it comes up.
Originally Posted by mtparadis
Free is great, but I second the need to control access to those inside the club. Maybe require people to log on with their SkyMiles #.
I think that is a silly added cost. How many people are going to hang around the outside of a CRC to get access...and if they do, why does it matter? OK, sure there is a limited amount of bandwidth but that hasn't really been a problem so far.

Originally Posted by keeton
Those who remember those HP computers in the CR that became really bad really quickly can attest to that.
Amen
Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
I guess I will go with the masses and say Free internet, some of us have wireless broadband cards that work anywhere. (A true Road Worrior)
You obviously are NOT a true road warrior if you think you have a broadband card that works anywhere.

Originally Posted by dane1
Indufan's suggestion re secure login using one's SkyMiles number is a great idea. That keeps down the number of 'wardrivers' trying to connect from outside the CRC, plus may allow easier use of some level of encryption. Those of us connecting to do work (and those trying to deal with personal finance) will appreciate it, Delta. This should also be FREE. Not just for the nickel-and-diming, but for the reduced complexity and freedom from dealing with yet another provider. When I'm traveling above all I crave simplicity.
It isn't my idea and in fact, I think that idea is silly.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:26 am

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
Free, Free!
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM,MM; AS; USeless Air, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
You obviously are NOT a true road warrior if you think you have a broadband card that works anywhere.

Hate to disagree, but I also have a broadband card and except for Greensboro, NC, it does work EVERYwhere I have been in North America in the past 2 years since I got it -- and that's a lot of places.

And I also vote for free CRC wireless -- it's more convenient than inserting my broadband card, but I can live without it too. I'd rather see DL spend the $$$ on snacks a la CO or NW clubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.