Search

More Answers To Questions - RealDLInsider

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:48 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

More Answers To Questions - RealDLInsider

All,

Continued thanks for the feedback around various efforts underway, as well as the products and services we have out there. I believe it was someone who wrote recently that “I” avoid tough subjects. That person doesn’t know me. Here we go …

PMUs

They absolutely aren’t perfect, but for a large subset of customers, they really like them. We survey our customers often, and according to a January survey of 2,000 Medallions, 80% are somewhat or very satisfied with the current PMUs. For those 20% dissatisfied, one-half of them said the primary reason for their disappointment was that they wanted more of them, and another one-third said they wanted to upgrade on the day of departure and make them paperless.

The PMUs are being looked at this year, and are a technology priority for 2007, in fact, one of the top three priorities. In addition to automating the PMUs, we will improve the mileage upgrade experience and automate the paper companion certificates received with usage of our co-brand credit card. As part of this automation, various aspects of the certificates are being looked at, including the fare requirements, the timing of when upgrades are confirmed and usable, and whether or not they are transferable to a companion. We truly are aware of what is important and what you all want fixed, and I absolutely commit, will all be considered as we automate. In fact, one of the reasons we didn’t launch automation in December around PMUs, is that it would have made the ability to transfer them to someone else almost impossible. In essence, the downside wasn’t worth the upside.

CVG Event

Wow! I’m impressed at the effort you all are putting around this event, and I’m glad to see you are having success in working with our Crown Room Club organization. They are fantastic team, and good to see progress there. The scheduled date looks like it’s in early June, and currently I’m scheduled to be spending some time in Paris at the French Tennis Open. Many of you don’t know me, but I’m a huge tennis fan, and getting tickets and a hotel for this event were hard to come by. I really appreciated the invite, and did want to come, but the timing was just bad. I love my job and our customers, but not over a “once in a lifetime opportunity” (smile here)

Upgrade Notification

Understand there is some confusion around the 14-day window for upgrade notification. We decided on only notifying customers beginning 14-days before departure, because of the number of customer-driven ticket changes, and our own automated network schedule changes, that occur outside of 14-days. The fear was over-communicating the upgrade and beginning to create an “annoyance” rather than a good guy for the customer. The reality also is that 97%+ of all of our upgrades are confirmed within 14 days anyway.

Medallion Credentials

Platinum Medallion credentials dropped 5-7 days ago, Gold Medallion Credentials this past week, and Silver Medallion credentials are dropping now. These credentials have a new “look and feel” and have been dramatically improved. They include key fobs which many customers have liked, and now have bar codes on all bag tags, cards and key fobs, that will allow us to better track lost bags or assist customers in checking in. Additionally, the processing time has been improved in sending customers new credentials when reaching elite status, from 4-5 weeks, down to 2-3 weeks. There were many things we had to do to accomplish this, and one of them was to remove the bag tag loopies that we historically sent. The “bulkiness” of them was causing a disruption during the postage machine processing, that was causing days of delays. We found that other airlines stopped issuing these for this particular reason, so we decided to do the same, but have thousands on hands for customers who still want them. All they have to do is request them, and we’ll mail some out.

Mileage Expiration Change

The change from 3 to 2 years was made to remove a sizable mileage liability off the books, and in turn, will give more active customers better award seat access in the long-run. Also, as you might suspect, regardless of how “loyal” someone may be to us, anyone who hasn’t had activity with Delta in anyway in the last two years, is not all that valuable to us. It’s a somewhat harsh statement, but also a reality (hey – I’m blunt).

Soft Landings

We did them this year. It was the right thing to do. Let’s be honest – it was a tough year last year for all of us

Question For You All

There has been some discussion internally around what “one thing” we do best, and what “one thing” we do poorly as an airline. What do you all think:

For example (my opinion only):

Best – Airport Automation (Check-In, Gate Information Displays, etc.)
Worst – The Overall Delta Connection Experience
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Wow, Thank you Jeff, we will miss you at the DO but have fun at the Open.

Being blunt to us is a good thing, most people get what you have said here (okay I do). I haven't had the experience with PMU's yet, but when i get home tonight I will check my mail and hope to see some new Creds. Have to see how I can use PMU's this year and I am sure to give some feedback once I have tried or get to use them.

As far as best/worst:

Best - overall customer experience.

Worst - International travel changes/questions can't be handled by the SMS desk and the wait/hold time has been LONG in the past.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Thanks for the answers, RealDLInsider

As to your question, here are my thoughts:
Best - I'd have to agree with the airport experience. Check in has always been painless for me; my only gripe is the lack of Medallion lines at some airports (I've complained about it at MHT but my concerns have just been brushed aside). GIDS screens are the best concept out there - I love knowing exactly where I am on the upgrade list, knowing that I've cleared, etc. The only thing I wouldn't mind seeing is the elite carpet - I know NW and CO both have one, and UA is starting to roll them out (I know SFO has them for UA). I wouldn't mind seeing it at DL as well.

Worst - Again, DL Connection. It's gotten better for me with the RJs with F, but still, a lot of inconsistency. RJ seats aren't the most comfortable, I've found that at many airports, there is no priority boarding (they just do an open boarding for RJ flights; this is very true in my experiences at BOS). There are times when time is not an issue for me, and I'd much rather route GSO-ATL-BOS over the GSO-BOS non-stop just to avoid the CRJ-200 - even if I'm in coach on a pair of MD-88s, it's that much more comfortable.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
Question For You All

There has been some discussion internally around what “one thing” we do best, and what “one thing” we do poorly as an airline. What do you all think:
Jeff:
In answer to your questions:

^Best – Your whole IT dept., especially when more advanced reward searches are made available soon. From booking to check-in the Delta system is the best of any airline I have used. The transparency of upgrades at the gate is one example of a feature not used by any other airline to my knowledge and everyone can calculate their chances for winning the "gate lottery" at a glance.

Worst – Without doubt all of the Delta Connection experiences rank at the very bottom of any satisfaction survey I have ever filled out (especially on ASA !)

Now my question:

What are the chances of returning the once a year Platinum reward exception (ability to book SkyChoice at SkySaver milage rates)?

Last edited by MM/PM widget; Feb 9, 2007 at 2:39 pm
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Lifetime Gold/SPG Platinum 100
Medallion Credentials

Platinum Medallion credentials dropped 5-7 days ago, Gold Medallion Credentials this past week, and Silver Medallion credentials are dropping now. These credentials have a new “look and feel” and have been dramatically improved. They include key fobs which many customers have liked, and now have bar codes on all bag tags, cards and key fobs, that will allow us to better track lost bags or assist customers in checking in. Additionally, the processing time has been improved in sending customers new credentials when reaching elite status, from 4-5 weeks, down to 2-3 weeks. There were many things we had to do to accomplish this, and one of them was to remove the bag tag loopies that we historically sent. The “bulkiness” of them was causing a disruption during the postage machine processing, that was causing days of delays. We found that other airlines stopped issuing these for this particular reason, so we decided to do the same, but have thousands on hands for customers who still want them. All they have to do is request them, and we’ll mail some out.
Is there any chance for those of us who already had our PM credentials come (prior to the end of 2006) to get the new 2007 credentials (key fob)?

Question For You All

For example (my opinion only):

Best – Airport Automation (Check-In, Gate Information Displays, etc.)
Worst – The Overall Delta Connection Experience
Best:

It's hard to say one thing, but I will say I have been ridiculously happy with the phone service as Platinum. The business class _staff_ has been very good, but I don't think the offering is as good as it could be in terms of seating.

Worst:

In my opinion the Atlanta gate agents have been very spotty.

RealDLInsider, i'd like to make one additional comment. DL has a fairly good inflight radio service. One thing some other airlines are still doing today (even after 9/11) is putting cockpit radio transmissions through on domestics (and most internationals IIRC). Can you please forward this suggestion up to management? It is one thing I miss compared to United. I also think it makes sense for the extreme top end of flyers for Skymiles to have a program similar to United's Global Services.

Also, can we get some clarification on the Air France relationship/changes to redemption?

Thanks.
tcbatl
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:10 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Best...customer service from most front line employees (yeah there are bad apples but most people go out of the way to be helpful and pleasant)

Worst (or at least close to worst)...Journey Control/Pricing schemes. There are way too many cities where Delta is just WAY out of line with market pricing (particularly smaller markets). I think the fact that so many people are having issues getting to the CVG Do is a great example. For me to find US Scareways to be cheaper to get to a DL hub than DL is worrisome.

Jeff I dont want to leave off commenting on what you said about DL connection though (as I live most of my life on connection flights). I do NOT think the entire DL connection system is broken, and as I have said before, I dont think you can look at it as one package - it is too variable by carrier!!!!. ASA s*cks there is just no way around that fact, they should be packaged up and given to Dougie Parker immediately. And no one BUT ME likes CRJ's but taking the plane out of the picture Comair offers really pleasant service on clean planes and meets many DL mainline quality guidelines (I was sad when we lost them from BGM). Shuttle America...great new planes, great service, wish they were in more places. Chautauqua...again, good planes great friendly service. Freedom air I have never used but will get back to you after they start in BGM.

And except for ASA (please fire them) I would say that the others are no worse than the regionals for other airlines. Regional flying is not fun no matter who you are dealing with (except maybe with Shuttle America and the 170's) but some are much worse than DL connection!!!!

I am sad to see that DL is backtracking and getting CRJ900's instead of ERJ 170's.....bad move *frown*.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
Jeff -

As always.. good information.

As far as your questions.

Best - Website, Airport systems (particually like the information provided at the Gates on the flat panel monitors). People.

Worst - Too many #$*&% Regional Jets where there shouldn't be. Why did I have to fly NW the majority of last year? Because DL offers one flight ATL-MSP on mainline jets.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Oh can I add a second worst (RNovak made me think of it) TOO much codesharing (especially since we cant upgrade on those codeshares). Last year at least 50% of my DL flights were on NW metal. I am a medallion because I like DL service, stop putting me on someone else's planes and in the back of them to boot!!! *smile*
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Jeff, thank you for your input and hard work.

Best thing: GIDS. Since I'm not yet an elite, I can't comment about upgrades or any other elite-only benefits. But after flying on United a few times, I have come to miss the gate info screens greatly.

Worst (or what I'd like changed): No Channel 9 (like United). Again, I have no complaints with the elite program, ha, but I LOVE listening in to the cockpit when I fly United. It can't cost all that much money to install, right?

Thanks again, keep up the great work!
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:22 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Jeff, thanks for being upfront. Re: the PMU issue, I'd be curious to know if the question that resulted in 80% satisfaction was split into domestic and international usage satisfaction. For those who want to avoid the gate lottery, I can see the satisfaction from domestic usage.

Best: Tie between technology and in-flight crews. No other airline can come close to Delta's smart use of technology. Until recently I was Premier Exec on UA, and they are awful in this regard.

And while nothing is 100%, Delta's in-flight crews are generally superb. The rate of "miss" in "hit or miss" is much lower than other domestic carriers.

Worst: Don't fly DL Connection much, so can't comment there. My vote goes to C and F international partner redemption possibilities. There doesn't seem to be much availability in advance for C, and F is practically non-existent. My wife (who is also PM) and I are sitting on way too many miles and would like to use them on long haul (e.g. Asia, Oceania), but have not had much luck.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Best – Delta's people (ground-based, flight, and SMS)
Worst – Freedom Air and ASA. I really expected Skywest to turn around ASA, and boy was I wrong.....

Good info in the post, thank you for sharing it.

David
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
Best: I really like the website. My one suggestion would be to have a few more cookies that automatically log you in, even when opening the website after closing your browser. I always forget to hit the log in button even if it shows I'm logged in, and then I have to redo my flight search because my "Session Expired"...

Worst: The DL gates at SJC. Nothing but seats and the gates post security. I guess at non peak times it's no problem, but last time I was there it was pretty crowded, so getting food outside of security would have been a real hassle. Also, I wish DL flew more to Oceana/Australia. Having an SFO/LAX to SYD/NAN/AKL would be fantastic.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
I also appreciate your bluntness, Jeff; it confirms what I've always thought-- we need to start calling these "incentive programs" instead of "loyalty programs."

Best: I generally find the people at DL (especially FAs) a cut above.

Worst: A Lehava says, DL is often uncompetitive priced. I use DL almost exclusively internationally out of ATL and would use them more if prices were competitive/PMUs easier to use.

Worst Part Deux: Not a very good CRC experience. They are often overcrowded with few amenities (e.g., snacks are dismal, little reading material other than local newspapers, expensive wireless where it exists at all...). I think a lot of airline's are eating DL's lunch on this one.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Jeff, Thanks for getting back to us. It's nice to see a bit of the background to the decisions that are made!

Question: WHAT CVG event?????

Best thing about Delta: Tough one. Overall, about Delta - Staff (personalities and attitude). Best thing about SkyMiles: The current domestic upgrade program, and SkyMiles automation in general.
Worst thing about Delta: Easy one. Overall, about Delta - Tie between baggage handling and the Delta Connection experience. Worst thing about SkyMiles. Tie between no partners that cover southeast asia/australia and lack of partners with International First Class awards.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL Plat, PC Spire, Amex Reserve, Hilton Gold
Although my screen name does not state it correctly I fly mainly our of BWI and do my best to support DELTA despite SW:

^ Good - Upgrades, Skyteam, employees

Bad - Since the redesign of the website, limited flight choices when purchasing online (always go through JFK). Would rather have the full menu to include changing flights in hubs like ATL and CVG.

:-: Thank you for asking!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.