Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Onboard Delta GPS Flight Progress Tracking Map Thing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM/SkyClub

Is it just me or does anyone else think it is silly for the different map screens to display in Spanish also? I can see saftey cards in the seats having to be in several languages, but is there really a difference between "South Carolina" and "Carolina del Sur" or whatever as displayed on the LCD screen? It takes forever for it to scroll thru the screens anyway and that slows it down even more.

If you really need Delta graphics to identify that strange geographical shape as "Los Estatos Unidos" (prob spelled it wrong but you get the point i.e. United States), then should you really be on a plane by yourself without adult supervision?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I agree. I also think you should be able to pick your own unit of measurement, I'd rather see miles, not kilometers.

Welcome to the Delta forums, Porter2112!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
The system is available with a variety of "second languages" apart from english: french, german, italian to name few. The plane your were on was most likely flying to Spain/Mexico or another spanish speaking country shortly before you took your flight and the 2nd language wasn't taken off the system. Also keep in mind that most countrys in the world measuring distance by km not miles, including several countrys close to the USA.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
The system is available with a variety of "second languages" apart from english: french, german, italian to name few. The plane your were on was most likely flying to Spain/Mexico or another spanish speaking country shortly before you took your flight and the 2nd language wasn't taken off the system. Also keep in mind that most countrys in the world measuring distance by km not miles, including several countrys close to the USA.
My experience has been that all US domestic flights with the iExplore or whatever it's called are in English and Spanish.
In some ways, DL has been courting a spanish speaking audience for a while now, and this may have something to do with it.
It is annoying to me as well, but nothing to fuss about.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by BER Flyer
I think the OP may have been discussing the system in the ex-Song 757s, which seem to switch between English and Spanish as a default regardless of destination (I could be wrong, but I don't think any of those planes even serve an international destinations); I've never seen any way to access any other language on those systems.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
While the map channel still has miles to go, it's vastly improved over the map channel of just a few years ago, which was so cluttered with commercials and stupid, inane trivia questions ("What (stupid) bird flies over 12,000 miles each year to mate?") that it was basically useless.

A truly interactive "map" channel (tied in with Google Maps) would be fantastic. As it is, the map channel is o.k.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimrpa
A truly interactive "map" channel (tied in with Google Maps) would be fantastic. As it is, the map channel is o.k.
Also tied into The Weather Channel would be cool. ^
Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:58 pm

Programs: Skymiles SM
Originally Posted by jimrpa
("What (stupid) bird flies over 12,000 miles each year to mate?")

Ive done that, good thing I am not a bird though so I did get Skymiles for it.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fishie
Ive done that, good thing I am not a bird though so I did get Skymiles for it.
But what's the answer.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Traveller
But what's the answer.
Who cares I want to know:
  • Where am I now?
  • What is my altitude, Groundspeed, and Outside Air Temperature?
  • How long have I been in flight?
  • What is the current local time?
  • What is the estimated arrival time at my destination?
I want to see that information in ENGLISH, and I'd like to see it in US units. Allow for personalization to display the information in other languages or measurement systems.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: Skymiles SM
Originally Posted by Traveller
But what's the answer.
Who cares, I got what I flew for.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wasn't it the Dodo bird?
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:54 pm

I actually like the variety of data from the old Rockwell Collins system better than that from the new Panasonic system.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by diamedic
I actually like the variety of data from the old Rockwell Collins system better than that from the new Panasonic system.
Very true. They should keep the Compass and dump the new POS they are now featuring. It's way worse than Compass.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaRIC
Very true. They should keep the Compass and dump the new POS they are now featuring. It's way worse than Compass.
I don't get it - why not just play the trivia game then? Or watch the commercials on TV? The old system was so horrible because it RARELY showed you where the plane was or flight data - it was too busy asking inane trivia questions and showing Le Meridien commercials!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.