Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RealDLInsider - Program Information

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta DM, Delta 1MM, IHG Spire, IC AMB, Hertz Pres
Is there any priority within the PLAT/GOLD/FO groups. For example, does a PLAT B have a higher priority than a PLAT LTU fare??
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:43 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by Spiff
That much is understandable, but I don't want a complimentary upgrade to Business Elite.

I want to be able to use my miles/PMUs on any fare, not just the overpriced Y/B/M fares.

Use of those instruments hardly constitutes a complimentary upgrade. Furthermore, I want to be able to use them day of departure.

American's and United's policies on international upgrades keep me spending my international and/or high-dollar fares with them. Delta gets what's left over as a result.
Originally Posted by outtolunch
I can not agree more with this. In fact, the Y/B/M restriction is what keeps most of my flying on other airlines.
I'll add my voice to the choir. I am going to move away from DL because of the PMU unusability issue. Last year, I have travelled 200k miles, most of which have been on J and F paid tickets. I do buy such tickets for various reasons. But then after doing all that, if I still have to pay 2,000$ for my leisure ticket to Europe to be able to use a PMU, I find it frankly insulting.

Jeff, I do not want complimentary upgrades. I want to be able to use my PMUs or even my miles on a reasonable fare, not on a fare that looks like a discounted-J price.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I'll add my voice to the choir. I am going to move away from DL because of the PMU unusability issue. Last year, I have travelled 200k miles, most of which have been on J and F paid tickets. I do buy such tickets for various reasons. But then after doing all that, if I still have to pay 2,000$ for my leisure ticket to Europe to be able to use a PMU, I find it frankly insulting.

Jeff, I do not want complimentary upgrades. I want to be able to use my PMUs or even my miles on a reasonable fare, not on a fare that looks like a discounted-J price.
A question - if you fly over 200K miles/year, you obviously don't need the miles for qualification, so why not just redeem your miles for your leisure trip to Europe, rather than buy a ticket and upgrade? I'd much rather spend $800 (or $2000 in Delta's case) on a nice hotel, or a more extensive vacation than on a plane ticket.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:02 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
International Business Class Upgrades

I’ve viewed many posts over the past year on this issue, and I thought I’d share why it would not be a good financial decision for our airline to allow complimentary upgrades for Medallions in Business Elite. Like all airlines, Delta sells a large number of either full-fare or discounted confirmed Business Elite seats – in the range of $3K to $6K per ticket – YES – People pay these fares! As the economy turns brighter, more and more companies begin to relax their rules on premium cabin travel, and as such, we are beginning to see more and more premium cabin paid travel. If we were to upgrade our highest Medallions who purchased a coach fare into the Business cabin complimentarily – two things happen in the longer term. First, that Platinum/Gold Medallion becomes less and less likely to ever want to buy a Business Class ticket – because there is a chance they get upgraded anyway. More importantly however, the bigger risk is that full-fare paying Business Elite customer decides “what the heck,” I’m going to buy-down to Coach (since I’m also a Gold/Platinum Medallion) and can get upgraded like others are. The result is a significant drop in the yields on our international flights, which for all airlines, are the bread and butter of future profitability. Some of you might ask, well what about the incremental business we might get in Coach from customers who would buy Delta to try and get upgraded. Because of the differential in fares between Coach (e.g. $800 to Europe) and Business Elite (e.g. $5,000), there just aren’t enough seats in Coach or passengers to offset that loss in Business Class revenue.
I want to emphasize again that I do not want complimentary upgrades, so even though what you say may be true if they were truly complimentary, I want to make a few comments if you only consider making PMUs usable on any fare:

As you say, companies relax rules. The companies are the ones that pay for most of these ticket. If my company pays for my tickets (it does for some), I would be a fool to use my miles or PMUs for my company travels. I want to use them for my leisure travel or give them to my parents for their leisure travel. (As they are getting old and cannot afford M fares on their retirement income it would be a great plus if like for UA or AA I could give them the PMUs and they could use them on any fare. That reason alone would be a good one for me to stay with DL).
It really means that you will not lose much revenue, except the occasional I fare that someone would have bought instead of using a PMU. You also have a control on the number of upgrades (6 PMUs only for most PMs), so you have an upper cap to the number of upgrades that will happen anyhow.

When my work pays for my tickets, I can chose which airline I want to fly, as long as the fare is comparable to other airlines. When I decide to leave DL and go to UA or AA (or maybe NW with their new SWU offer) because the PMUs are useless, you have not gained added revenue by making their use so tight, you have lost a customer who had been faithful to you for 17 years and stuck with DL through good and bad times.

My two cents.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I completely agree with Spiff, outtolunch and DeltaFlyingProf. The inability to make meaningful use of the PMUs is a real big deal to me.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by vasantn
I completely agree with Spiff, outtolunch and DeltaFlyingProf. The inability to make meaningful use of the PMUs is a real big deal to me.
Same here. I put my focus last year on hitting top tier on AZ and as a result only hit GM for '07 on DL. If I could use PMU's on LUT fares TATL that would not have been the case- I would have booked my flights on delta.com and not alitalia.com. (I've already booked 4 R/T TATL flights this year from AZ instead of from DL; if I could have used PMU's, all four would have been booked through DL).

Even if the PMU's weren't valid on LUT, if they were at least valid on KQH, and if those fares weren't three to four times as much as LUT we would have a real shot of using them.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:07 pm

What if PMU's were only given to people who achieved some threshold(say 50k or 75k) of paid business class or above travel? But then they were usable on any fare? This would assure that Delta would get the revenue for the the premium cabin tickets purchased by corporate accounts, and give a nice little benefit to that person for their leisure travel. To me it seems crazy(from delta's perspective) to throw around PMU's that are truly usuable(something like a UA SWU) to people who fly 75k miles in paid economy. Delta needs to reward their loyal PROFITABLE customers, not the ones who are just filling up the cheap seats.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:07 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

...and for those of us who are Gold and Silver Medallion members — I have been a Gold Medallion Delta Air Lines SkyMiles member for at least 12 consecutive years — the old systemwide upgrade certificates that we earned years ago were a great incentive.

It gave the Delta Air Lines Medallion member an occasional opportunity to upgrade on a paid international trip as well as a domestic trip.

Is there any possibility of considering a return of those systemwide upgrade certificates?
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM; SPG PLAT/Ambassador
Originally Posted by vasantn
Here here. If there is any ONE thing that I would like changed/improved it would be easier use of PMUs. Even if you reduce the total number allocated to just one round trip a year it would be better than the current situation.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by TJtv
What if PMU's were only given to people who achieved some threshold(say 50k or 75k) of paid business class or above travel? But then they were usable on any fare? This would assure that Delta would get the revenue for the the premium cabin tickets purchased by corporate accounts, and give a nice little benefit to that person for their leisure travel. To me it seems crazy(from delta's perspective) to throw around PMU's that are truly usuable(something like a UA SWU) to people who fly 75k miles in paid economy. Delta needs to reward their loyal PROFITABLE customers, not the ones who are just filling up the cheap seats.
I would still give my high dollar business to other carriers.

Delta (or anyone who wants the bulk of my business) needs to recognize that I fly a mix of fares and I expect to be rewarded for my loyalty and my money, not just my money. Otherwise, what's my incentive to be loyal in the first place? I'd just pick the most convenient carrier, or the one who was willing to offer the best bribe at the moment.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Although I’m aware some of you may be disappointed by this, 99% of customers who redeem are getting a far better experience and combinability is truly a good thing for customers.
Thanks for all the useful info and being a more open member of this community.

About the above item, I'd just say that it's a far better experience to be able to redeem an award -- knowing well the risks of a convoluted itinerary -- at the "SkySaver" level (i.e., the marketed standard award level) using a convoluted itinerary than having to pony up more miles for a more direct experience (if a direct routing is even available at all at the "saver" level). In our situations: it's been we who have been requesting the convoluted itineraries when DL CSR searches couldn't find any long-haul coach "saver"-type award space while our retained party could find it through convoluted routings on the very same dates.

As the DL CSRs have almost never suggested to us convoluted itineraries for when long-haul coach "saver"-type award space was unavailable through standard DL macro searches, I'd say that having DL reps relying upon the search tool unless a customer has a suggestion that works on the very same dates would solve much of the above issue you mentioned.

That is, the "enforcement" of the pre-existing rules doesn't unambiguously benefit those customers who then were the ones suggesting the convoluted itineraries to DL CSRs in order to get a chance to use their miles in the same way (at the same price level) they would if a more direct routing was available. [This "enforcement" far less ambiguously benefits those DL customers who were being suggested by DL CSRs to endure a convoluted itinerary.] Perhaps an "on approval" (for no additional miles) process when the customer requests the convoluted itinerary would solve the issue of DL CSRs going above and beyond with the typical customer (who was not requesting a convoluted itinerary).

One up-side of this "enforcement" matter is that there's less utility in having a retained party do award searches to supplement the DL CSRs' searches for award space (at the "saver"/standard price level). The downside is that it means less opportunity to redeem miles on intercontinental flights at the "saver"/standard award levels.

The remaining item of curiosity I have about this matter of award routing rule enforcement is what the DL award routing rules are when published fares for other SkyTeam airlines allow a routing but DL CSRs say the routing violated DL's award routing rules using the same carriers as allowed in the OAL's published fare.

(I'd also note that AA is the leader in award routing rule flexibility, while I'd like to see DL become a leader in this area ... or at least come closer to matching them.)

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 26, 2007 at 12:50 pm
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:29 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Over the next few months, I’ll likely be doing the same things with you all – and potentially throwing out a couple ideas to gather your feedback on.
Hi, all--

Let me introduce myself. I am Frank Wrenn with Delta's Customer Insights & Analytics group. My team supports the market research efforts of Jeff Robertson and others around the company.

So if you see a post from DeltaCustomerInsights helping Jeff out, it's for real.

Frank
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaCustomerInsights
Hi, all--

Let me introduce myself. I am Frank Wrenn with Delta's Customer Insights & Analytics group. My team supports the market research efforts of Jeff Robertson and others around the company.

So if you see a post from DeltaCustomerInsights helping Jeff out, it's for real.

Frank
Welcome, Frank!
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A big welcome to DLCustomerInsights. ^^

Originally Posted by knkjens
Is there any priority within the PLAT/GOLD/FO groups. For example, does a PLAT B have a higher priority than a PLAT LTU fare??
As I understood the OP, upgrades are to be cleared in the following order:

1. Platinum - Full Y
2. Gold - Full Y
3. Silver - Full Y
4. Platinum – B
5. Platinum – M
6. Platinum – H
7. Platinum – Q
8. Platinum – K
9. Platinum – L
10. Platinum – U
11. Platinum – T
12. Gold - B
13. Gold – M
14. Gold – H
15. Gold – Q
16. Gold – K
17. Gold – L
18. Gold – U
19. Gold – T
20. Silver - B
21. Silver – M
22. Silver – H
23. Silver – Q
24. Silver – K
25. Silver – L
26. Silver – U
27. Silver – T

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 26, 2007 at 12:52 pm
Old Jan 26, 2007, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by DeltaCustomerInsights
Hi, all--

Frank
Thanks and Welcome to FlyerTalk, Frank!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.