FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   I refused an u/g. Go ahead and chastise me. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/647069-i-refused-u-g-go-ahead-chastise-me.html)

BamaVol Jan 12, 2007 10:40 pm

I refused an u/g. Go ahead and chastise me.

It was the field promotion variety and I do plan to count it in my 2007 u/g %.

I got to the gate and was #1 on the list with 0 F seats left. There were 18 on the list including me. It was an MD-88. I resigned myself to Y and boarded in zone 2. The guy across the aisle in the middle actually stopped an FA and asked if he could have a seat in F. She told him there was one empty and it might be available. I remained quiet but prepared to speak up.

2 minutes later the door shut and the FA came up the aisle and asked for me by name. I waved her off and said give it to the next guy. It wasn't Mr Bold-as-brass-in-the-middle-seat-across-the-aisle, but some poor guy in row 36.

Why did I turn it down?

1. Short flight. 25 minutes flying time. Coats often not hung and drinks often not served on this route. Missed zone 1 boarding and preflight drink.
2. I actually fit fine in a coach seat.
3. Too much trouble to get out of the window seat, annoy the guy on the aisle and move my bag.
4. Already had plenty to drink in PC, on previous flight and in CRC and a 70 mile drive after landing.
6. F seat only 4 rows ahead of me and I wasn't leaving BHM until my checked bag appeared on the carousel.

Am I gonna get drummed off the board?

DLfan Jan 13, 2007 12:17 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol (Post 7007529)

No drumming from me. Given identical circumstances, I probably would have done the same. Now for the test: had you been in an aisle seat with all other circumstances the same, would you have accepted?

indufan Jan 13, 2007 9:11 am

Been nice knowing you. :)

I might not have took it either. As DLFan points out, what about the aisle seat? I would have probably taken it then and just left my carryons behind.

So, how does this count for your upgrade percentages?

mikey1003 Jan 13, 2007 9:33 am

I refuse upgrades when MrsM is with me..and she dosent get companion upgrade. She gets my seat up front.

I have also given my FC seat to kids returning from Iraq.

BamaVol Jan 13, 2007 9:35 am

Originally Posted by DLfan (Post 7007740)
No drumming from me. Given identical circumstances, I probably would have done the same. Now for the test: had you been in an aisle seat with all other circumstances the same, would you have accepted?

I probably would have taken it if I was on the aisle.

I might have taken it from the window if I hadn't already had 4 drinks.

I would definitely have done so if it was earlier in the day.

BamaVol Jan 13, 2007 9:37 am

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 7008906)
Been nice knowing you. :)

I might not have took it either. As DLFan points out, what about the aisle seat? I would have probably taken it then and just left my carryons behind.

So, how does this count for your upgrade percentages?

With it, I am 3/4. Without it .. well most people here can do that math. :D

My goal as a PM is to beat my GM 59% of last year. ^

indufan Jan 13, 2007 9:54 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol (Post 7009018)
With it, I am 3/4. Without it .. well most people here can do that math. :D

My goal as a PM is to beat my GM 59% of last year. ^

It's 75% with and 50% without. I suggest you count it which will put you 16 points ahead.

Gargoyle Jan 13, 2007 10:44 am

MODS- suspend the OP for violating the first rule of the TOS!

Seriously, row 36 on that plane is terrible, the upgrade would make a big difference for that guy, even for just 25 minutes.

Traveller Jan 13, 2007 11:35 am

Naw, I did that once last year on an ATL-MLB flight. I was in the 2 seat side second exit row of the MD88 having a nice converstaion with the guy next to me and another traveller came up to me who had my exit seat and my new boarding pass for my upgrade. I told him just to take my seat in first, he was so excited that it made my day. :)

skchin Jan 13, 2007 11:37 am

Nobody wants my FC seat. That's the problem. :D

RSSrsvp Jan 13, 2007 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Gargoyle (Post 7009309)
MODS- suspend the OP for violating the first rule of the TOS!

Seriously, row 36 on that plane is terrible, the upgrade would make a big difference for that guy, even for just 25 minutes.

The mods will discuss this issue and decide on the appropriate action. One possible action may be to sentence BamaVol to the DL Lounge thread for a month. :)

RSSrsvp - Moderator

jwillett13 Jan 13, 2007 12:12 pm

For a 25 min flight, I dont think sitting in F/C is justified anyway.

Traveller Jan 13, 2007 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp (Post 7009754)
One possible action may be to sentence BamaVol to the DL Lounge thread for a month. :)

Or make him shave his eyebrows and pencil them in high on his forehead. :D (An OMNI thing).

DLfan Jan 13, 2007 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by jwillett13 (Post 7009769)

Of all the reasons I might decline an upgrade (you do know these are free, right?), this would not be one of them. Are you saying that you don't even request the upgrade on short flights?

indufan Jan 13, 2007 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by jwillett13 (Post 7009769)

It doesn't matter if the flight is 5 minutes or 5 hours, it still takes a lot less time to deplane from FC. That is one of the biggest hidden benefits of upgrades, deplaning time. Get off the plane sometime and wait for someone in row 40.