Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Entertaining Delta Seatmate Stories..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Starwood Gold, HHonors Gold
Most Entertaining Delta Seatmate Stories..

As my first FlyerTalk post I thought I would add a counterpoint to the ongoing and fascinating "Most annoying Delta Seatmate Stories.. " thread (I've been an on-and-off lurker since near the beginning of FT, finally have the time to be active).

A few months ago I was flying ATL - California in F, and struck up a conversation with my seatmate. I usually am buried with work or trying to enjoy rare time with a novel, so this was a bit unusual for me. He was about my age, with similar-stage children, and was getting ready to retire from the Navy after flying helicopters and various desks. As part of his transition he was managing a large contractor project on the East coast that had him commuting back and forth to the West coast. Our conversation really hit it off and we finally got around to discussing spouses (being guys, after all, the sports/kids/careers thing took the first few hours ) and he mentioned that his wife was a teacher at a very small school "I would never have heard of" in the large metropolitan area where I live. Long story short, it turned out that he was not only a really nice guy who helped the flight go by amazingly fast, but his wife was also my son's new homeroom teacher!
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Welcome to FT dane1.

I once sat next to James Baker in 1993 - of course he isn't so popular now. He told me some interesting things about the goings on during the RR administration.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:02 pm

Programs: Starfleet Captains Club
I was on a DL flight not long ago sitting next to a contractor working in Iraq.

Interesting to hear a different perspective on the issue of US presence in Iraq from the one that is relatively rampant throughout the media.

Not that I agreed with everything he said (by a long shot), but I always find it interesting to hear different perspectives.

Most interesting conversation I had was on a UAL flight from IAD to MSY a couple of years ago, with a contractor who worked with the Bush family and other large corporations on "image enhancement." He talked about the subliminal advertising that some companies "used to" use to encourage sales. Of course, he didn't reveal his name. But it was interesting all the same..
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:28 pm

A good friend of mine was seated next to a really cute redhead flying MCO-SLC a few years ago. They're now married.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Long long ago when I still used DL, I sat with Bill Parcells. A hell of a nice guy and a great seat mate.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by mikey1003
Long long ago when I still used DL, I sat with Bill Parcells. A hell of a nice guy and a great seat mate.
You fly DL, sit next to Bill Parcells, and so you switched to NW. I flew NW once last year, ended up sitting about 5 rows behind Jesse Jackson. Some kind of significance there.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 9:48 am

Last year I had a fun experience on an ATL-MIA flight in F class. The F cabin was full of Senior F/A's returning home to MIA/FLL after a few days of training in ATL. They were a fun group and pretty much took over the first class cabin and made it into a real party atmosphere. They certainly were not shy about drinking/partying up after a long few days of training, but they did stay professional and were understanding of the F/A on duty. They were talking about the training and changes going on at Delta at that time. I joined in on the conversation and I said how I liked Delta and am a loyal customer. They appreciated my loyalty and also my knowledge of Delta's history. I mentioned how my favorite aircraft was the Tristar and they shared some of their Tristar stories but they did mention that in the end it was plagued with mechanical issues. I told them I was on my way to a Caribbean cruise and they shared some travel experiences of the cruise stops. It felt like we were on the plane for hours even though it was only a 1.15 minute flight. They also always made sure I had a full glass of what ever I was drinking. What a great flight! They really seemed like a tight knit/professional group and are very loyal to Delta.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, HI Platinum
Smile

Last year I sat next to Dawn Wells(Maryanne from Gilligan's Island) from LAX to JFK. What a wonderfully pleasant person. We talked about everything but Gilligan's Island. Family, friends, relationships. Genuine terrific person in life.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:31 am

Programs: DL Platinum, CO Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Liz Sheridan ...

... doesn't ring a bell? Probably best known as Mrs. Seinfeld ... and also fiance to James Dean before his death.

She couldn't have been any more wonderful and unassuming. Terrific person. Nice to see that the "good guys (gals)" make it ...

Close second was Dara Torres (across the aisle), the Olympic swimmer. Her seatmate was an unaccompanied child, and Dara played with her the whole time.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:43 am

Programs: DL PM MM
About a year ago I had the honor and priveledge of sitting next to one of our soldiers returning home Iraq for a two week leave. Had a great conversation with him about what was really going on over there, as opposed to what we see in the U.S. media. For my part, I made sure to repeatedly thank him for his service to his country and for doing what he was doing - I was the first civilian he had a chance to speak with since landing on U.S. soil so I felt that that was especially important to do.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 12:49 pm

About 11 or 12 years ago I was checking in for my Miami - London flight on Virgin and while chatting with the girl at the ticket counter she mentioned that the seat next to mine was empty. I said something flip like "If you have to put someone in there make sure it is a cute blond".

While enjoying my preflight champagne and reading a paper I was tapped on the shoulder by a very attractive, well dressed blond who said "Will I do?" Ends up she was the girlfriend of a successful and well known race car driver and frequently took that flight since they commuted between homes in the south of England and Boca. The girl at the counter had told her my request and she was amused. She played the part to a tee. Before take off she said something like "Do you mind if I go slip into something more comforatble?" and proceeded to the rest room to change. She was an ex- Hawainn Tropic model so I guess it came naturally. We had an entertaining flight and talked most of the way. We exchanged contact info and kept in touch for a while.

I have occasionally run into her and her now husband at big time racing events (US F1 Grand Prix, 24 Hours of Dayona, etc.)and we get a chuckle out of recalling the story.

Certainly one of my most enjoyable seat mates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.