Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Are you in favor of a DL-US merger?
I am in favor of it. We will have a better airline after the merger.
13.33%
I am against it. "Keep Delta My Delta".
82.86%
I have no opinion on this issue.
3.81%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

USAIRWAYS and DELTA MERGER????

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Valerie
I don't like it either.
I fly both US and Delta and US Airway's website and customer service are a mess, and the airplanes were old and not as nice as Delta.

The only thing I like about US, is that you can upgrade to FC for $150.

I would like it if Delta merged with Northwest or Alaska to expand their WC flights.
A Delta-Alaska, Delta-NW-Alaska, or Delta-NW-CO merger would be more welcomed by me than any DL-US merger. Delta-Alaska would probably have the easier time from announcement to closing.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:34 am

Programs: DL DM MM; HH Diamond; Starwood Plat, Lifetime Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jimrpa
NO!!!!!
My thoughts exactly.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
As someone who knows not much aout corporate finance, MHO is this deal will not go through. Delta, in my uneducated eyes, is looking good to emerge from bankruptcy and has just posted its first profit in a long time and seems on track to be financially solvent.

That said, my emotianal side does not want this to happen. I like my Delta just fine. Sure there's things to work on yet, but I've seen a great commitment to improvement from DL management.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Unfortunately, if DL's creditors, shareholders and the bankrupcy court decide this is a good deal, then it won't matter what DL's customers or management have to say about it.

It will all come down to return of capital to creditors and stockholders.

There is one thing we can do: we all remember the impact of "Saveskymiles" - it carried enough momentum to join with many other factors resulting in the ouster of Mullin and his crew of destroyers. The new DL many of you fly now emerged partly from the ashes of a customer revolt. If you don't want this deal to happen, you need to act and act quickly. Write letters to DL HQ and the bankrupcy judge to show how strongly you reject this merger. I doubt DL management is happy about it either, so with enough energy from the customers, sufficient rejection from DL to carry a 'no' vote from the stockholders and a clear message received by the court might be enough to scuttle this latest horror to emerge from the braintrust of US management.

That being said, I agree this isn't a bad deal - this is a horrible deal! US is about as close as we have to a third world puddle hop airline. They do nothing but drag everything they touch down to the lowest common denominator. If anyone thinks NWA's planes are ratty and their service is poor, go try out US and compare.

I hope CO stays far away from this one - they don't need to get involved and I don't see what value DL brings to their table. DL is better off on its own, which is something I think 99% of the folks here agree with.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:46 am

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Delta-Alaska would probably have the easier time from announcement to closing.
Personally.....I would LOVE to see this happen.

I would think that a Delta/Alaska joining would open up many opportunities.....both for passengers as well as for the combined company.

However....this is just about the only merger that I would like to see Delta seriously consider.....let alone pursue at this point in time. Acquisitions (preferably a specific part of a certain distressed airline ) by Delta are another story

When I initially heard about US's offer this morning......the first thought that ran through my mind was.......Oh damn!

Now that I've had some time to think about it........my thoughts on this matter have evolved to.....No...No...NOOOOOO!

Just when things seem to be stablizing at DL...if not actually taking a turn for the better..........something else has to come up to "rock the boat".

First, it was the Pilots' Union threatening a strike that would have killed Delta.......which was avoided.

Now this....

When will the insanity end?

A.J.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
It will all come down to return of capital to creditors and stockholders.
Bingo! Looking at the return to the 'new US' investors, I'd say there's a strong possibility that DL creditors will reject the bid and proceed as an independent carrier.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Bulldog King
Personally.....I would LOVE to see this happen.

I would think that a Delta/Alaska joining would open up many opportunities.....both for passengers as well as for the combined company.

However....this is just about the only merger that I would like to see Delta seriously consider.....let alone pursue at this point in time. Acquisitions (preferably a specific part of a certain distressed airline ) by Delta are another story

When I initially heard about US's offer this morning......the first thought that ran through my mind was.......Oh damn!

Now that I've had some time to think about it........my thoughts on this matter have evolved to.....No...No...NOOOOOO!

Just when things seem to be stablizing at DL...if not actually taking a turn for the better..........something else has to come up to "rock the boat".

First, it was the Pilots' Union threatening a strike that would have killed Delta.......which was avoided.

Now this....

When will the insanity end?

A.J.
Agreed...Just shoot me now!

I also agree that things seem to have been improving on DL. But, every airline merger, most of which seem to involve US, result in the elimination of the good things about the merged carrier.

DCA being my home base, I suppose there's some hope for better service, but I use DL rather than US out of here now, so I'm not optimistic. Where is the Justice Department when you need it?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:55 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I seriously doubt this merger would ever happen - so I wouldn't worry about this.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:59 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Check out the US board

I just went over to the US Airways board to see what they're saying.

They like it even less than we do... one called this takeover a "flying Conrail."

US Air has always had one of the worst reputations for customer service in the skies... this takeover (and that's what it is) might be good in the short run for DAL's creditors. But in the long run, passengers will hate it.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:04 am

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred
This would be an interesting network. I wonder what would become of CVG as a hub. You would have to assume they'd dump CLT and someone else would go in there. The international network would be pretty incredible. It would be nice to have some direct southern flights connecting to DCA.

I am assuming if this were to happen, US/HP/DL would be bigger than AA.

Fox News reported Delta's CEO saying he's not interested in a merger with anybody.

If this were to happen, what would the marketplace look like? God or bad for the consumer?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:05 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I hope this goes no-where. I'll be shopping around for a status match if it does. I'm not flying on that greyhound of an airline.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
I can't remember the last time I flew on US - or even considered it - but this morning I heard on CNBC that US considers itself a low cost carrier after its acquisition of the other airline. For those familiar with US - what exactly does that mean in terms of how US operates compared to a legacy carrier? Does this mean it intends to destroy everything good about Delta should this takeover occur? If I want lowcost carrier, I will fly on Southwest. I fly on DL because its NOT a low cost carrier! This is most disturbing. Living in Orlando, this will be disasterous.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:07 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, CO, HH, PP
Originally Posted by card26
I wonder if someone can post a Quick Poll..."Which airline makes the best sense to merge with DL?

- NW
- CO
- US/HP
- None of the Above"

IMHO, NW seems to be the most logical choice but that's has been talked about a lot.

I hate the idea of DL/US/HP being one company and if for some reason DL finds this move intriguing and agrees, that the government won't allow the deal to be approved.

As an ardent DL supporter, I don't see how it helps the airline.
If there has to be a merger, I would love to see a NW/DL merger. They seem to compliment each other the best, but ultimately, I would vote for None.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Maybe this merger does make sense...take the airline with the worst customer service (US) and merge it with the airline with the most IDBs and late flights (DL and ASA and Comair).

Seriously though, this merger does not make sense. Beyond the fleet problems, I would imagine they would have some antitrust problems. Too much strength on the East Coast, I would imagine they'd need to dump one of the shuttles (and the corresponding slots at DCA), they may need to dump other slots at DCA. On top of that you have the overlapping hubs in the East and West.

Fortunately, I haven't flown USAir since '01, but I do fly Delta occasionally and would be very disappointed if the merger goes through.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
One more question - given that most of my flights are within Florida on Delta's various connection airlines- if US takes over, are those gone? What sort of small commuter planes does US have? UGHHHHHHH!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.