View Poll Results: Are you in favor of a DL-US merger?
I am in favor of it. We will have a better airline after the merger.
13.33%
I am against it. "Keep Delta My Delta".
82.86%
I have no opinion on this issue.
3.81%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

USAIRWAYS and DELTA MERGER????

Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:45 am

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
With all due respect to Freddie Kruger this would be "The Nightmare on Virgina Ave"! Not only NO but H_LL NO!

I hope Continental is polishing their armor to step in and become the "white knight" that slays the evil Useless Air dragon. Of course it would all rest on what the creditors think about this offer.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
I don't see any response from DL on its website or elsewhere. Has it come out in favor of or against the proposed merger?
Atlanta media reporting DL is very cool to the idea. One TV guy who happened to be at the Delta Museum on a different subject alltogether got a VP of Ops to say "We aren't saying anything. We're on track to emerge successfully," or thereabouts.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Billiken
Let's hope it's just a ploy and not a serious offer.
US is a public company, I hope this is a serious offer, even if they don't expect it to be completed.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:55 am

Programs: DL FO, UA Premier Silver, AA Gold, PC Gold, HH Silver, MR Silver
I wonder if someone can post a Quick Poll..."Which airline makes the best sense to merge with DL?

- NW
- CO
- US/HP
- None of the Above"

IMHO, NW seems to be the most logical choice but that's has been talked about a lot.

I hate the idea of DL/US/HP being one company and if for some reason DL finds this move intriguing and agrees, that the government won't allow the deal to be approved.

As an ardent DL supporter, I don't see how it helps the airline.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by sxf24
US is a public company, I hope this is a serious offer, even if they don't expect it to be completed.
That is correct. It would be a very serious infraction of securities laws if US had no intent to complete the transaction. It takes millions and much management time to start down this road. If US wasn't serious then that time and money can be much better spent.

As for CO merging with DL, please NOOOOOO! I like CO like it is. And I'm not sure if CO would be willing to step up to the plate to at least match that offer.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:58 am

In the end, if Delta's creditors like the deal, it matters little what Delta's management thinks.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
They may also have to do something with the Shuttle services in the BOS-NYC-DC corridor to make the regulators happy. I don't like this idea much at all, certainly not as a consumer. And if I were an airline shareholder, I'd have serious doubts.
Are there still antitrust regulators? After seeing what they allowed in the telecom an oil industries, I have my doubts they truly exist.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by ND Sol
That is correct. It would be a very serious infraction of securities laws if US had no intent to complete the transaction.
US can easily show the requisite intent and good faith to merge, and still not complete the deal.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:08 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
Listening to the Webcast.

US has secured 7 billion in financing from Citigroup for the merger.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:11 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
[DRUNK (hey I'm in Fiji so I can be drunk at this time of the night)] All I can say is see my attempt at objectivity in the US Airways forum (i.e. how this could be a sensible alliance re-balancing and save the long standing KLM/NW relationship).

Other than that, I wouldn't want this to go ahead. I like the fact that I have two Sky Team options from MAN (DL and CO) to go pretty much anywhere in the Americas with the long haul Atlantic leg starting and ending in my home airport ( I hate waiting in LHR just to get home). [/DRUNK]
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
In the end, if Delta's creditors like the deal, it matters little what Delta's management thinks.
DL can say no and act cool to the offer all they want. It's up to the court, creditors and regulators.

That being said, this sucks. US is a hot mess. I would probably change airlines over this.

I kind of hope that DL self-selects a partner and does a merger/acquisition on its own to protect itself from US. An Alaska merger would probably make them too expensive for US to acquire and too big for regulators to allow an acquisition by any other airline. At the sametime it would greatly strengthen DL in the west.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:18 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
I don't see any response from DL on its website or elsewhere. Has it come out in favor of or against the proposed merger?
Outside of one exec travelling in London and quoted by Bloomberg saying management is focused on getting out of bankruptcy, not mergers, there has been no public response from Delta.

US approached DL twice earlier this year with a merger (take-over, is the way it's being played here in ATL) proposal. Both times Grinstein declined to pursue conversations with USAir. It seems today's announcement is an attempt to put it "out there" and see if some external pressure might be brought to bear on DL.

Personally, I think this is going no where.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:19 am

Watch out DELTA Buisness Travelers

Today as I am sure you have heard US Airways is trying to buy DELTA. Here is a copy of my thread on the US Airways forum showing what they are doing to buisness travelers. You could be next. There have been others (see thread on US Airways forum).
"I and the 35,000 other traveling employees of Lockheed Martin (the world’s largest defense company) received the notice today that "Effective immediately, USAirways has terminated their corporate discount agreement with Lockheed Martin. This action is a result of last year’s acquisition of USAirways by America West. USAirways has determined that their new business model can no longer include extending reasonable discounts on their airfares to corporate clients".
At my little division of LM in New York (about 100 engineers) we have no less than a dozen Chairman, Platinum and Gold members of US Airways elite club. My air expenditures on US Air this year are at least $7500 and probably closer to $10,000 and I am only a Platinum. Lockheed Martins workforce is heavily based on the East Coast where US Air does lots of business. Let’s do a little math. Lets say only 1000 LM employees (probably low since it is 10% at my place) are US Air frequent flyers. Lets say spend about $3000 a year on flights (again very low). The total is …what…3 million (I would bet it is higher that that). How can an airline who is hawking credit cards at every airport and on every flight; trying to sell everything from toenail clippers to dishwashers (and giving points) on their web site (and making only a few pennies on these dollars), give up this revenue to another airline? These are business travelers, they are going to fly. My travel arranger has already sent an e-mail to LM corporate travel requesting they approach our other authorized airlines to see who would grant US Airways elite members status in their programs. My bet is somebody will. What corporation is next for this? My recommendation is if you are a corporate US Airways Flyer now, be alert or you may get surprised too!! So much for loyality. I have been with them (and them with us) in one form or another since 1990."

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Nov 15, 2006 at 9:06 am Reason: I have merged this post into the main discussion thread for the US-DL merger.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
And let's not forget that even if the creditors and BOD come on board, the government will put this deal on ice for a solid 6-12 months or more while the numerous anti-competitive/anti-trust issues are identified.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:27 am

I don't like it either.
I fly both US and Delta and US Airway's website and customer service are a mess, and the airplanes were old and not as nice as Delta.

The only thing I like about US, is that you can upgrade to FC for $150.

I would like it if Delta merged with Northwest or Alaska to expand their WC flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.