Wiki Posts
Search

Got the upgrade but no seat assignment

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2006, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum MM, Marriott Gold
Got the upgrade but no seat assignment

Booked a coach seat on DL 253, SDF to ATL, on Nov. 6 with upgrade requested. Got the upgrade today, but no seat was assigned. When I went to select a seat, none were available in the seat map. So might I be denied boarding since I don't have a seat assigned (assuming that the flight is overbooked as it usually is)? I didn't think the computer would upgrade someone if there wasn't a seat to assign to him.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 4:02 am

Programs: Delta DM
Don't worry to much, they have a seat for you. I have had that a few times, they just have some seats reserved and can't free them till your at the airport/gate.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 6:52 am

Programs: DL Plat
This happened to me once on a MSP-SLC flight... When I got to the kiosk it gave me an error message at the ticket counter agent said that it was a mistake that I had been cleared for the upgrade since there were no seats available. I gave the gate agent my story and he actually downgraded someone on an award ticket and put me in F.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 6:54 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by wentona777
This happened to me once on a MSP-SLC flight... When I got to the kiosk it gave me an error message at the ticket counter agent said that it was a mistake that I had been cleared for the upgrade since there were no seats available. I gave the gate agent my story and he actually downgraded someone on an award ticket and put me in F.
They downgraded someone on a FC award ticket? Someone who in effect had paid for the seat?

were you on a paid A or F fare, or just normal Medallion free upgrade?
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
sorry posted error

Jwhuffman

Last edited by jwhuffman; Nov 1, 2006 at 7:18 am
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:18 am

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
Originally Posted by run26pointtwo
Booked a coach seat on DL 253, SDF to ATL, on Nov. 6 with upgrade requested. Got the upgrade today, but no seat was assigned. When I went to select a seat, none were available in the seat map. So might I be denied boarding since I don't have a seat assigned (assuming that the flight is overbooked as it usually is)? I didn't think the computer would upgrade someone if there wasn't a seat to assign to him.

Did you try calling SMS to see what they have to say?
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:43 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by mcjava
They downgraded someone on a FC award ticket? Someone who in effect had paid for the seat?

were you on a paid A or F fare, or just normal Medallion free upgrade?
I was traveling on a T-class Coach fare, and was upgraded (at the time as a Silver or Gold) to First. The guy who got downgraded was on a NW award ticket, and was not very happy -- he got put in my previously assigned seat and explained his displeasure to a friend of mine (who was sitting back there).

This situation was discussed a bit here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515081
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
This happened to me last week SLC-BOS... upgraded at time of ticketing but no seat available on the seat map for assignment. Check-in at LAS for the the flight to SLC couldn't assign a seat either... airport checkin only... got a seat from the SLC CRC agent about an hour+ before the scheduled departure. The flight in question was a 757 and the agent said that seat assignments depended on the 757 version for that day.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by wentona777
I was traveling on a T-class Coach fare, and was upgraded (at the time as a Silver or Gold) to First. The guy who got downgraded was on a NW award ticket, and was not very happy -- he got put in my previously assigned seat and explained his displeasure to a friend of mine (who was sitting back there).

This situation was discussed a bit here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515081
Thanks for the link. I guess I missed that thread.

If I was the NW paying FC passenger I would be super pissed and I would have raised a hell of a stink. I love my free upgrades totally, but to have a paying FC passenger treated so callously does not say much about DL, as much as I love DL.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s25843
Did you try calling SMS to see what they have to say?
I can't call SMS yet due to being out of the country this week (I don't know if Delta has a number in Germany). I did email customer service but didn't receive a reply yet. They did assign a coach seat, though. DL 253 is business class (it continues on to Mexico City), and even though I now have a coach seat, the fare basis is still "X" (my original ticket was in "Q"), so there are a few extra MQM, if nothing else.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 2:24 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I can't call SMS yet due to being out of the country this week (I don't know if Delta has a number in Germany). I did email customer service but didn't receive a reply yet. They did assign a coach seat, though. DL 253 is business class (it continues on to Mexico City), and even though I now have a coach seat, the fare basis is still "X" (my original ticket was in "Q"), so there are a few extra MQM, if nothing else.
Originally Posted by delta.com
Germany All Cities 0180-333-7880
http://www.delta.com/help/contact_us...rope/index.jsp

Unfortunately, no extra MQMs for flying in a premium cabin on an upgrade. So even though you are in the business class cabin, you will only earn MQMs based on your purchased fare class.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
http://www.delta.com/help/contact_us...rope/index.jsp

Unfortunately, no extra MQMs for flying in a premium cabin on an upgrade. So even though you are in the business class cabin, you will only earn MQMs based on your purchased fare class.
I emailed my son to phone SMS, he did, and they gave me a seat up front. Funny thing about the MQM's, earlier today it said 1500, now it says 1000, which is what it should be of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.