Unabashed Cholula Spam

Old Feb 6, 2004, 5:19 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I heard a rumor that some time ago, there reportedly was a female passenger who was traveling on a Delta Air Lines flight with one of the esteemed moderators of the Delta forum on FlyerTalk, who also happens to be female.

Anyway, they were sitting next to each other in First Class when a hot meal was served by the Delta Air Lines flight attendants (this statement should indicate how old this story is...). The woman sitting next to our esteemed moderator apparently whipped out an almost-full bottle of Cholula hot sauce from her handbag to enhance the flavor of her meal an essential item apparently forgotten by our esteemed moderator who searched all of her belongings, but to no avail.

Salivating for that gastronomic kick that can only come from Cholula hot sauce, our esteemed moderator introduced herself and told her seatmate her first name. Her seatmate responded, Pleased to meet you. My name is Kay.

Kay, if I may ask a favor ... I always carry my Cholula hot sauce, but I seem to have forgotten it today. May I please borrow some from you?

Despite having a bottle that was almost full, Kay replied, Sorry. I am going to need every drop for my meal. Besides, I never share MY Cholula.

This incident is apparently the reason why, to this day, our esteemed moderator is quite obscure to Kay...
Old Feb 6, 2004, 5:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Old Feb 6, 2004, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
This incident is apparently the reason why, to this day, our esteemed moderator is quite obscure to Kay...</font>
What is NOT told in that story is the aftermath of that incident, which has lead to a long and torrid love affair between the afore-mentioned moderator and a certain punster.

Seeing how upset the moderator was, the predatory punster who was sitting near by, said to himself, "Self, I love it when women are upset. This makes them vulnerable."

He immediately switched seats with Kay and spent the next hour of the flight being sympathetic to the distraught moderator.

When an FA came buy to see if a drink would help, the moderator shrugged off her offers of champagne, Bordeaux, and cans of Coke, Sprite, and Pepsi.

"All I want," she said with a shy little smile, is a can RC ."

Old Feb 6, 2004, 11:04 pm

What is NOT told in that story is the aftermath of that incident, which has lead to a long and torrid love affair between the afore-mentioned moderator and a certain punster.
I happen to know that the afore-mentioned moderator is far too discreet to ever mention which "certain punster" was the object of her affections.(Beside, the Cholula, of course, which continues to remain the object of her affections
Old Feb 6, 2004, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

I admit it. My revelation of Obscure2K's torrid affair with Canarsie was ungentlemanly of me. I can only offer as an excuse the fact that Obscure broke my heart.

How can I ever forget that first time I met her?

I flew into Philadelphia and there she was, waiting loyally for me at the airport. Well, almost loyally. Actually, she was busy hitting on a cheesesteak sandwich vendor.

The minute she spotted me she ran up to me, threw her arms around me, and whispered in my ear, "Sex! Now!"

I was thrilled! We got into her car and she headed northeast. I was surprised to see how many hotels and motels she passed up. In fact, she also passed up a number of cities, including Trenton, Princeton, New Brunswick and Newark.

She drove through the Lincoln Tunnel into New York and kept going until we reached Fifth Avenue.

"Why did you drive all the way to Manhattan?" I asked. "We could have had sex back in Philly."

"What sex?" Obscure asked in confusion. "I said, 'Saks, now!' After that, you can whip out your Amex in Bloomingdale's and Lord and Taylor's."

"No Macy's?" I asked.

"Whaddaya think I am?" replied Obscure. "Cheap?"

When finished with the department stores, I told her that I wanted to stop into FAO Schwarz to pick up some toys for my children.

"No sense in spoiling the little creeps," Obscure answered sweetly. "But Tiffany's is nearby and, no, we are NOT going there for breakfast."

Satisfied that she had maxed out my Amex, and willing to leave my VISA and MC for the following day, Obscure turned to me and said, "Now I'm in the mood for sex!"

I wanted to go to a nearby hotel but Obscure insisted that we get back into her car and return to Philly. She then checked us into separate rooms in the Hilton.

I might have had a miserable night, but I can guarantee you that the next morning there was one VERY happy cheesesteak sandwich vendor!

---
Edited to add the following to keep this letter on topic:

Both Obscure and I flew into Philadelphia on Delta. Moreover, the cheesesteak vendor spiced up his wares with Cholula.

[This message has been edited by Dovster (edited Feb 06, 2004).]
Old Feb 6, 2004, 11:53 pm

O2K would never be caught eating a Philly Cheesesteak (even with Cholula, and even if she had squandered miles to get to PHL). I have heard that she does have a great affection for Le Bec Fin.
Edited to add that O2K only stays at the FS in PHL, not the HIlton. The Philly-cheese steak vendor was kind of appealing, though. Is it possible to get Saks in PHL?

[This message has been edited by obscure2k (edited Feb 06, 2004).]
Old Feb 7, 2004, 12:09 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
Is it possible to get Saks in PHL?

</font>
Of course. Philadelphia is NOT Boston.

Old Feb 7, 2004, 7:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
I have heard that she does have a great affection for Le Bec Fin.</font>
Ahhh, Le Bec Fin, one of my favorites as well. In a city that prides itself in historical, old institutions, its hard to believe this restaurant is only 35 years old. And still wildly popular as it takes up to a month for Saturday night reservations for its $120 per person prix-fixe dinner.
The grand ol lady of restaurants in Philadelphia, Bookbinders, where Ben Franklin once dined, has recently closed its doors. Unfortunate but. IMO, they had been living on their heritage for too many years.
Speaking of pricey restaurants, Mrs. Cholula and I are looking forward to dining again with the alluring O2K and her husband, Dr. O2K, this evening. Im going to make it a point to ask Dr. O2K if he worked his way through medical school as a Philly cheesesteak vendor. The answer had better be affirmative.
To say the restaurant that O2K chose for tonight is exclusive is perhaps an understatement. Not being familiar with the exact location, I looked up their website for directions. I noticed they said they accept ONLY the American Express Centurion card for payment!
Thinking this to be an error, I called the restaurant and the manager said Monsieur Cholula, that ees correct. However, in lieu of the Black Amex card, you may also bring along the title to your house. At the conclusion of dinner, we will accept said title and write you a check for the difference, if any.
But, hey, its only money and a small price to pay for the honor of again dining with O2K.
And the way I look at it, Id just blow the money anyway buying YBM tickets on DL to satisfy my incurable MQM addiction. Might as well enjoy my money....

Old Feb 7, 2004, 8:35 am
Original Poster

LBF Air -- only first class cabins.

Le Bec Fin restaurant has announced plans to start its own airline.

It will initially take the PHL-CDG route, and is offering only first class accomodations with a twist: The flight is free.

Of course, it will be charging the normal price for its meals, so it would actually be less expensive to pay full fare on most other airlines.

Its frequent flyer program will be called "Cholula". Each round trip will earn you one Cholula. After getting 10 Cholulas you will be entired to a free case of heart burn.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 9:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dovster:
Its frequent flyer program will be called "Cholula". Each round trip will earn you one Cholula. After getting 10 Cholulas you will be entired to a free case of heart burn.</font>
How does that compare to Cholula Medallion SkyMIles status on Delta Air Lines, as I posted somewhere in this thread ... what ... 49 pages back?!?...

-------------------

Entired ... talk about where the rubber (not rubbers, Dovster!) meets the road...

After eating 10 Cholulas, one is bound to be so tired as to retire into sleeping attire after being entired, and that is the entire truth...
Old Feb 7, 2004, 10:46 am

Fragmented Catagory Alert!!!

I was surfing the cable channels on the hotel TV this past week and saw a 30 second spot for Frank's Hot Sauce around 10 PM EST (I think it was USA or UPN).

Never heard of it. Got a competitive update Cholula?
Old Feb 7, 2004, 11:02 am

Franks hot sauce is the hot sauce I used regularly before I used Cholula hot sauce, just like Continental Airlines was the main airline on which I flew regularly before Delta Air Lines became the airline on which I currently fly regularly.

BertBamboo, at the Publix supermarkets here in the county in which we both live, Franks hot sauce occasionally has coupons on the necks of their small bottles where one can try their hot sauce for free, after a mail-in rebate which covers the purchase price up to 99.

Franks hot sauce is good, but it is mild compared to Cholula hot sauce and does not have that requisite after-kick.

By the way, Cholula, the placement of Franks hot sauce is eye-level in the Publix supermarket near where I reside and is several lines wide with various sizes, while Cholula hot sauce is still single-file up on the top shelf next to the Jamaican jerk marinades.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 12:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
Franks hot sauce is the hot sauce I used regularly before I used Cholula hot sauce</font>

BertBamboo...thanks for the report and Canarsie, thanks for your comments. Franks is also the hot sauce I used before discovering Cholula. Its the third largest selling hot sauce in the US and is currently owned by, I believe, Durkee Foods. Franks claim to fame is that they were....and still are....the hot sauce that the famed Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY used to make the original Buffalo wings.
The shelf placement of any item in a store is dependent on several issues. Grocery chains set up what they call schematics which diagram where each and every product in the store is to be placed. A products inclusion on the schematic depends on the products sales velocity, how many slotting dollars you are willing to pay, how influential your sales personnel or brokers are with the buyer/merchandiser, etc., etc.
One of my pet peeves...and I think Ive whined about this elsewhere on this thread...is that my retail sales people have not done a good enough job in getting addl facings and/or a better shelf position for our product.
We came out of nowhere in the last 8 years to become the six largest selling hot sauce in country...out of 300+ competitors. And weve been the fastest growing product among ALL hot sauces for the last three years. Yet, for the most part, we still have the same one or two lousy facings we had when we were introduced. We havent done a good job at all of explaining the growth and popularity of our product to the retail trade.
But we have an initiative this year to correct that so, hopefully, we should see more shelf presence at the major retailers before year end.

Old Feb 7, 2004, 1:12 pm

BertBamboo, at the Publix supermarkets here in the county in which we both live, Franks hot sauce occasionally has coupons on the necks of their small bottles where one can try their hot sauce for free, after a mail-in rebate which covers the purchase price up to 99.</font>
Considering that postage is 37, the 5-fluid-ounce bottle of Franks hot sauce is not really free after all, but rather at a substantial discount.

This is similar to getting an award ticket to fly on Delta Air Lines for free, only to have to pay all of those fees and taxes.

Cholula is correct, as it says on the bottle of Franks hot sauce:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The great taste of Franks RedHot made it the secret ingredient in the original Buffalo wings created in Buffalo, New York.</font>
However, Reckitt Benckiser Inc. of Wayne, New Jersey, is the company behind Franks RedHot hot sauce. Also, Franks hot sauce uses aged cayenne red peppers in their recipe, while Cholula hot sauce appears to use a blend of red peppers and Piquin peppers.

Incidentally, BertBamboo, I have never seen either Franks RedHot or Cholula hot sauces advertised on television. I have seen Tabasco and Texas Pete advertised on television, however.

I do not particularly enjoy Buffalo-style chicken wings, but has anybody ever had their Buffalo-style chicken wings created with Cholula hot sauce? If so, how does it taste compared to the original recipe?

[This message has been edited by Canarsie (edited Feb 07, 2004).]
Old Feb 7, 2004, 4:55 pm

.....but has anybody ever had their Buffalo-style chicken wings created with Cholula hot sauce? If so, how does it taste compared to the original recipe?
</font>
Good detective work on the Frank's owner, Canarsie. Frank's was just Frank's years ago and then sold to Durkee who in turn sold to Reckitt and Benckiser, a British company. The only two food products they have are Frank's and French's mustard. Otherwise, they are a leading manufacturer of soap products!
Cholula's only exposure on TV is through product placements and also a traveling pair of chef's called the Clever Cleaver Brothers who pop up on several local, regional and national shows throughout the year. We run some couponing events but they are limited to high distribution markets like PHX, DEN, SAT, LAX, SEA and a few others. ( All are markets served by DL not coincidentally) We try to limit the traditional media exposure to Cholula as it tends to ruin the cult following the brand has developed. Many folks feel it is their "secret" brand and that they discovered it and want to share it with friends and family. A national media campaign would not only be prohibitively expensive but would cheapen the appeal of the brand, IMO.
Here's a recipe for Cholula Hot wings:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
FLEW THE COOP CHICKEN WINGS

Butter - 1 cup (2 sticks)
CHOLULA HOT SAUCE - 1/3 cup for a good tingle, 1/2 cup for nuclear
Oregano leaves (dried) - 1 1/2 teaspoon
Basil leaves (dried) - 3/4 teaspoon
Marjoram leaves (dried) - 1/2 teaspoon
Rosemary leaves (dried) - 1/2 teaspoon
Thyme leaves (dried) - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Garlic - 1 tablespoon fresh minced or 1 teaspoon powder
Fresh lemon juice - 3 tablespoons
Chicken wings - 12, cut at joints, discard tips

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a heavy saucepot, melt the butter, add CHOLULA, lemon juice,
garlic and herbs.

Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
Arrange split wing pieces in one layer in ovenproof baking dish.
Brush lots of sauce (about half) over both sides of wings and bake for
30 minutes. Turn heat up to 475 degrees and finish for 10 to 15 minutes
(until mahogany and crisp). Puree remaining sauce in blender or food processor
to smooth out and pour over the finished wings.

Dont limit your options to aves (fowl) try this devilish sauce over
grilled and roasted veggies (corn and potatoes are especially susceptible
to its charms).</font>

[This message has been edited by Cholula (edited Feb 07, 2004).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.