PMU Waitlisted - 777 with 45+ BE Seats Free

 
Old Feb 26, 04, 1:56 pm
  #46  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: IND
Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Posts: 20,113
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
re: Why not add more flights?

To defend DL, it might not make sense to add another flight. Why? If the current demand is at, for example 110% of the current capacity, then the flight that is added would fly only 10% full. Not good. If they opted to fly it every other day, and save the cost of a second plane, it would then fly at 20% of capacity.

Still a big whole to dump money into.
</font>
Well, they could add a 2nd flight and it would not go out 10 or 20% full. It would be mostly full every time it will fly. However, if sufficient demand isn't there, that will adversely affect the pricing from the company standpoint. Of course, that will benefit the customer. The airline (and all airlines for that matter) have to determine the balance of more flights, the cost of operating them and the revenue associated with them.

ATL-LAX wouldn't be $600 in A class if there were only 1 flight per day.
indufan is offline  
Old Feb 26, 04, 2:25 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 487
Your comments seem to assumes that DL is the only east coast option. This is not the case. In fact I do not see the value of overpaying DL when you can get more options in NY/NJ, ORD, DFW etc. In fact I think DL is the only major with only 1 Asian flight total.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by indufan:
Well, they could add a 2nd flight and it would not go out 10 or 20% full. It would be mostly full every time it will fly. However, if sufficient demand isn't there, that will adversely affect the pricing from the company standpoint. Of course, that will benefit the customer. The airline (and all airlines for that matter) have to determine the balance of more flights, the cost of operating them and the revenue associated with them.

ATL-LAX wouldn't be $600 in A class if there were only 1 flight per day.
</font>


PMMMColonel is offline  
Old Feb 26, 04, 3:11 pm
  #48  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: IND
Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Posts: 20,113
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PMMMColonel:
Your comments seem to assumes that DL is the only east coast option. This is not the case. In fact I do not see the value of overpaying DL when you can get more options in NY/NJ, ORD, DFW etc. In fact I think DL is the only major with only 1 Asian flight total.</font>
No, actually, it doesn't assume that though I admit I tried to make it simple. The yield management system will make sure a plane destined for NRT from ATL will not leave at 20%. Also, we shouldn't assume that a 2nd flight daily could or should have to leave from ATL. CVG, LAX, SFO, are other options. I am sure PDX would like to have it back too. I know elevation is a factor, could it happen from SLC?

Anyway, more supply, generally and all other things being equal, puts a downward trend on pricing. In the LAX example...how about if all of the airlines were limited to one flight per day per hub to LAX. Now, this is an extreme example but could you imagine what would happen to the price?
indufan is offline  
Old Feb 26, 04, 7:39 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 394
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by heckler:
I really can understand why people are leaving Skymiles.. really.. medallions in particular.

I am travelling on a FULL FARE Y ticket to NRT from ATL in a month or so. Currently, DL's seat map shows only 5 seats assigned going to Asia and a paltry 3 taken coming back. This means over 45 seats are available in each direction. 45 seats!!

DL always sends me thank you notices for giving them my business, and makes me believe I am a valued customer. Yet, according to their own rules, I cannot currently use a PMU, upgrading a "Y" fare at time of purchase. It's not available, and you'll have to be put into waitlist limbo.

Availability of upgrades? Sure we all know they hold the right to reserve seats for paying passengers. But where does the common sense kick in? If a PM comes along and meets their criteria for using a PMU - with 7/8 of BE free, then why the **ll do I have to be waitlisted...?

DL doesn't get it. Don't advertise a program which doesn't work the way you advertise it. Tell me you won't upgrade the Y fare, or better yet don't even send me any PMUs. More than likely, i'll clear the waitlist - but one has to ask oneself - where does DL greed, versus the desire to keep a good YBM PM begin and end?

Anyone else had any logic defying experiences like this?
</font>
The first liar doesn't have a chance. Just kidding! I booked 11 months ahead in 1st/BE from LAS to Europe - no problem with BE but I'm waitlisted LAS to ATL though there are only 2 bookings in FC on one of the 3 flights where I'm waitlisted. The other 2 have 26 and 28 empty seats right now. The booking is for May.
marilyn35406 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 04, 8:07 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VPS
Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 4,787
What Happened?

Originally Posted by jeffreyt
My guess is that it will clear, Heckler, but can you please update us one way or the other?
heckler I assume you're back from Asia now. Can you fill in the blanks on this thread? Did you clear the upgrade waitlist in either direction? If so, when? I'm on DL55 on 4/29 and snagged a PMU upgrade at booking, but find myself waitlisted on the 5/8 return. Availability tool shows 39 BE seats "available". You were on a full Y and I'm on an M fare. Just curious how it worked out for you.
DLfan is offline  
Old Apr 21, 04, 9:02 pm
  #51  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: PNS
Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Posts: 1,144
Originally Posted by DLfan
heckler I assume you're back from Asia now. Can you fill in the blanks on this thread? Did you clear the upgrade waitlist in either direction? If so, when? I'm on DL55 on 4/29 and snagged a PMU upgrade at booking, but find myself waitlisted on the 5/8 return. Availability tool shows 39 BE seats "available". You were on a full Y and I'm on an M fare. Just curious how it worked out for you.
DLfan:

My upgrade cleared about 1.5 weeks prior to my return. Just happened - no notification or anything. I checked my itineraries online and noticed that I had been put into "Z" class, confirmed.

There were still about 26 seats free (last time I checked) before the upgrade flood gates opened. This may not mean much, as the seat map tool is very subjective - it may or may not REALLY show how many seats are really free.

Some posters on here have hinted that availbility may be greater on flights coming from another country to the US. Business is down, as is tourism and it may be harder to find people who want to pay DL's huge prices for BW seats.
If this is indeed all true (sounds good), then your upgrade chances may be strong.

Keep checking on it..
heckler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread