FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   PMU Waitlisted - 777 with 45+ BE Seats Free (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/61506-pmu-waitlisted-777-45-seats-free.html)

andymo99 Feb 25, 2004 6:23 pm

heckler, they sold all the seats. DL should not be upgrading you. One of your retorts to Pointfreaks sound argument was "but it is so expensive!" Exactly, and they were able to sell them. Why should they give them to you when they can collect so much revenue?

By the way, perhaps you answer this somewhere above (I don't have time to go back and read the OP right now), but: How do you know that there are no PMU upgraded PMs on the flight already? Could one or more have bought ahead of you and secured the one or two B/E seats that you insist ought to be set aside for PMs?

heckler Feb 25, 2004 6:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:
heckler, they sold all the seats. DL should not be upgrading you. One of your retorts to Pointfreaks sound argument was "but it is so expensive!" Exactly, and they were able to sell them. Why should they give them to you when they can collect so much revenue?

By the way, perhaps you answer this somewhere above (I don't have time to go back and read the OP right now), but: How do you know that there are no PMU upgraded PMs on the flight already? Could one or more have bought ahead of you and secured the one or two B/E seats that you insist ought to be set aside for PMs?
</font>

You're right andy.. of course there could have been 1-2 PMU slots open when the flight was first loaded into the system. I have been on the waitlist since the week of January 20, when 45 seats were free in BE - or at least according to the seat chart (we all know how accurate that is sometimes http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif )

I guess my frustration is with DL itself from time to time, and yes, they have the right to sell seats vs. give them away..

Spiff Feb 25, 2004 7:26 pm

I've been very successful using my VIP upgrades to NRT on AA.

I think DL should sell as many seats as they can on this route. However, if there really is this much demand for J, then they should add a 2nd daily flight or put more BE seats in, rather than drive people away to other airlines. After all, they might take all of their revenue with them, not just the ATL-NRT bucks... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

KGB Feb 25, 2004 7:29 pm

Greetings,

Heckler, be careful with whatever your eating. You went from 6'4" on the 17th to 6'5" on the 25th. At that rate you'll be 6'7-8" by the time of your trip and if stuck in coach you will definately not be a happy camper...

I think you got the message though by our last post. I can feel your fustration too because I've had to pass by a kid sitting in F class on a companion upgrade while my large/wide frame attempts to shimey into the miserable 17" wide seat in the back because MY upgrade did not clear and the Plat companion booted my lowly Silver status.

So when in rome do as the romans do... I intend to make Plat this year so it won't happen to me again.

Also I paid 2gs for the BF class on CO to Europe in April to make sure I 'cleared'.

No one holds a gun to our heads, we can play the game the way they set the rules or we can take our business elsewhere.

I took mine elsewhere and other circumstances worked out wonderfully for me as I ended up moving from one hub to the others. Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus...

rhetor Feb 25, 2004 7:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by heckler:

I guess my frustration is with DL itself from time to time, and yes, they have the right to sell seats vs. give them away..
</font>
To a point...
Let's not forget that upgrades are not completely benevolent and unpaid for. FF programs exist because airlines know they need to reward loyal customers -- that's why they offer them and that's why we participate in them. My point is that I would not subscribe to the view that Delta has the right to sell every seat -- they have explicitly made an agreement with every Medallion member that they WILL NOT sell every seat for revenue.

Pointfreak! Feb 25, 2004 7:52 pm

Perhaps it is a matter of perspective. I fly to Sau Paulo & Santiago a lot, and often I get upgraded to BE. I view it as a bonus...a very pleasant surprise! Not a God given right because I am PM. Dont get me wrong...coach sucks on international flights and I sulk in the back as well, with the rest of steerage. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

I guess the real question here is: Why dont they add more flights if the one they DO have constantly sells out with ultra-high dollar fares? The Delta folk are not total idiots (although I am sure some will beg to differ!) so there must be a reason. Is coach always packed on this flight as well, or only BE?

What is the downside that I am missing from an airlines point of view? Also will there be more opportunity with the recent codeshare agreements?

(BTW, I would gladly sit in a baggage bin for a chance to go to Tokyo! I have never been, and always wanted to go! Sushi from the masters! Mmmmmmm...)

[This message has been edited by Pointfreak! (edited Feb 25, 2004).]

DLfan Feb 25, 2004 8:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by heckler:
I also believe they should add capacity on this route.. if it's so freaking profitable and so many people travel the ATL-NRT route, why not add another flight??????</font>
Could be, among other things, a matter of obtaining another landing slot. NRT is one of the most tightly scheduled airports in the world.

indufan Feb 25, 2004 8:16 pm

1). DL's business fares are prohibitively expensive ($7,800 for a "J" fare)

3). No faulting DL for making money - but then MAKE AVAILABLE at least one or two seats per flight for Platinums or awards.. is this asking too much? AT least we'd have a chance. I'm not saying they shouldn't make money.
</font>
Apparently $7,800 isn't that prohibitively expensive if they are getting it.

And at that price why in the WORLD would they hold back one or two seats per flight. That's over $15,000.

I absolutely agree it sounds like they need more capacity and I am sure there is a good reason for them not to do it (like they can't get approval for it) since it appears to be very profitable.

But, raising capacity might lower the $7,800 number and the problem might be it might come down to $6,000 and they sell out two planes in J.

jjglaze77 Feb 25, 2004 9:23 pm

One other thing as well, it would require 3 more 777s, and as we all know they do not have an overabundance of those! I suppose they could use the 763, but it seems stupid to reconfigure their 777s specifically for the NRT route, and then not use them.

Spiff Feb 25, 2004 10:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DLfan:
Could be, among other things, a matter of obtaining another landing slot. NRT is one of the most tightly scheduled airports in the world.</font>
Nah, they used to have flights from JFK, LAX, PDX and probably others in addition to ATL...

rcs85551 Feb 25, 2004 11:27 pm

As far as I can see and guess, the flight from ATL to NRT on that Saturday is overbooked in both cabins. That's probably why there is no upgrade.

akhullar Feb 26, 2004 2:06 am

If I am not mistaken, heckler is flying on a special Govt. fare - Which may not be the published YBM fare. Since Govt. rates are very aggressive I wonder why not just buy a Govt. negotiated B/E fare ? After all you are going on official business and this is a really long flight no ?

DLfan Feb 26, 2004 9:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
Nah, they used to have flights from JFK, LAX, PDX and probably others in addition to ATL...</font>
Do you suppose they still have the rights to those slots? Back in the mid 90's, DL was given approval to add a HNL-NRT flight. Before they ever started it, the Japanese economy faltered seriously affecting tourism to HI. I found out later from the gals in the HNL CRC that DL had sold that slot to FEDEX. I think that happens a lot and I think a landing slot at NRT is too valuable of a commodity to keep if you don't intend to use it.

Vaze Feb 26, 2004 9:34 am

Still check this forum when coming to FT even though I no longer fly DL - will even try to attend any Delta "do's" that are in the works http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

NoStressHere Feb 26, 2004 12:49 pm

re: Why not add more flights?

To defend DL, it might not make sense to add another flight. Why? If the current demand is at, for example 110% of the current capacity, then the flight that is added would fly only 10% full. Not good. If they opted to fly it every other day, and save the cost of a second plane, it would then fly at 20% of capacity.

Still a big whole to dump money into.