PMU Waitlisted - 777 with 45+ BE Seats Free

Old Jan 27, 04, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have stated this in the past and will do again. NRT is the ONE flight in the system where upgrades are rare year round. Ask anyone in the know in ATL and they will confirm this fact (which of course begs the question, that as this has been so for years, both pre and post 9/11, why don't they go double daily or add some capacity somehow)?
Old Jan 27, 04, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Flying_Duck:
Maybe Heckler wanted to make sure he Returned in a seat! </font>
Also see:
http://www.vision.net.au/~apaterson/...rean_audit.htm

Old Jan 27, 04, 10:34 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Y is also usually refundable.

Take your Y fare to AA, UA, or NW. I am sure they will be more reasonable.
Old Jan 27, 04, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Iíve had a terrible record this year trying to burn off the remainder of my 2003 PMUís on domestic upgrades! Nearly every flight Iíve tried to book Iíve been waitlisted for FC. Iím booking out 3-4 weeks in advance on routes to DEN and ORD in February/March....hardly popular, touristy destinations that time of year.
And the seat maps show nearly all FC seats open when Iím trying to book.
The PMUís were really my only incentive over the last decade to keep trying to reach PM. I used to use them on Intíl flights but I didnít have to use any last year and am trying to use them domestically this year. Iím finding they are nearly useless.
Old Jan 28, 04, 2:23 pm

I am having the same trouble with ALT to FCO in March. Waitlist for F with most seats open.
Old Feb 17, 04, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
As an update for you "Asia Watchers", I am pleased to breath new life into an old thread - concerning the now less than 3 weeks NRT flight i'm on, and the state of play is:

777 BE Seats Taken (assume paid and confirmed) 29
777 BE Seats Free 19
777 BE Seats (For Crew Rest) 4

So as the next couple of weeks go by, we'll see what happens - the last time I got upgraded, it was about a week before, and being 6'4" tall, the upgrade is definitely nice to get..!
Old Feb 17, 04, 8:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Starriott Ambassador, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
I have stated this in the past and will do again. NRT is the ONE flight in the system where upgrades are rare year round. Ask anyone in the know in ATL and they will confirm this fact (which of course begs the question, that as this has been so for years, both pre and post 9/11, why don't they go double daily or add some capacity somehow)?</font>
Bingo. That would be called good management.

Old Feb 17, 04, 8:43 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
My guess is that it will clear, Heckler, but can you please update us one way or the other?
Old Feb 17, 04, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jeffreyt:
My guess is that it will clear, Heckler, but can you please update us one way or the other? </font>

Roger, wilco, Jeff
Old Feb 17, 04, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by heckler:
As an update for you "Asia Watchers", I am pleased to breath new life into an old thread - concerning the now less than 3 weeks NRT flight i'm on, and the state of play is:

777 BE Seats Free 19

So as the next couple of weeks go by, we'll see what happens - the last time I got upgraded, it was about a week before, and being 6'4" tall, the upgrade is definitely nice to get..!
</font>
I recently returned from BKK; had been waitlisted on both ATL-NRT and NRT-ATL legs, and got cleared only 24 hours ahead of time. As in your case, it looked like plenty of seats left until the last minute. On both legs, there were empty BE seats available, so you may be in luck. Hope so.
PS. I'm heading back next week and have my upgrades confirmed more than a week out.
Old Feb 25, 04, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by heckler:

777 BE Seats Free 19

</font>

Update:

The view seat map page now shows 8 blue seats available in BE on the DL55 to NRT flight. Obviously this is getting concerning.. I called the SMS line and the helpful lady there told me that she had no idea when revenue will lift the waitlist.

Even more concerning was my question to her - "can you tell me how many seats, period, are still open in BE?" She replied "None, they are all sold." We all know the seat maps should be taken with a grain of salt as some may be paid for, but no seats assigned..

We'll see, and if things go south i'll have a few prime words in a letter for DL about their way of doing business... I refuse to be screwed by DL playing their musical upgrade game and will take all my business to NW. Paging Mikey1003..
Old Feb 25, 04, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
OK..I am confused. I love my upgrades on international flights as much as the next guy. But explain to me why they are screwing you if they have sold all available seats...making money (which is why they exist)...instead of giving you an upgrade?

Unless I have a fundamental misunderstanding of the upgrade game, the idea is to give upgrades of seats that would otherwise fly empty to your top tier folks. Why is it wrong for Delta, on one of their most profitable routes, to hold off upgrades to make a sale...THEN make thse sales!? They say right up front that upgrades are capacity controlled, and in this case they SOLD that capacity to actual paying customers!

If you want to make sure you fly in Business...buy a Business seat...like the other passengers seem to be doing.

I really cant blame Delta in this case. I also agree that if things are that tight, why not add more flights?

Old Feb 25, 04, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pointfreak!:
OK..I am confused. I love my upgrades on international flights as much as the next guy. But explain to me why they are screwing you if they have sold all available seats...making money (which is why they exist)...instead of giving you an upgrade?

Unless I have a fundamental misunderstanding of the upgrade game, the idea is to give upgrades of seats that would otherwise fly empty to your top tier folks. Why is it wrong for Delta, on one of their most profitable routes, to hold off upgrades to make a sale...THEN make thse sales!? They say right up front that upgrades are capacity controlled, and in this case they SOLD that capacity to actual paying customers!

If you want to make sure you fly in Business...buy a Business seat...like the other passengers seem to be doing.

I really cant blame Delta in this case. I also agree that if things are that tight, why not add more flights?

</font>

Point taken Pointfreak, with the following caveats:

1). DL's business fares are prohibitively expensive ($7,800 for a "J" fare)

2). DL's "Y" (Coach) class is severely lacking, and for a guy who is 6'5" - the ability to remove my knees from my nostrills would be nice

3). No faulting DL for making money - but then MAKE AVAILABLE at least one or two seats per flight for Platinums or awards.. is this asking too much? AT least we'd have a chance. I'm not saying they shouldn't make money.

If they waitlist everyone on the flight until the day before, with NO hope for availability of any upgrade seats, then why tout the Skymiles program's great benefits when they are fallacious and hollow benefits? At a minimum, let us know how much availability is out there, so we can make our own choices as to where we have a better chance.

In addition to this, DL REQUIRES you to buy their Y,B or M class tickets simply for the right to upgrade - and if it doesn't pan out - oh well, thanks for all that extra money.

Don't get me wrong, I understand their motives, but I think they could do things in a more SGB manner..

I also believe they should add capacity on this route.. if it's so freaking profitable and so many people travel the ATL-NRT route, why not add another flight??????

[This message has been edited by heckler (edited Feb 25, 2004).]
Old Feb 25, 04, 6:29 pm

As a former PM and MM I stopped flying DL in 2002 totally with rare exception. Upgrades were one reason.

Domestically,On a ATL-SJC trip, DL wouldn't upgrade me when I checked in the crown room 45 minutes before departure even though 7-8 seats were still open and I was #1 on upgrade list. "Only 30 minutes before the flight, sir.

My international was even worse. I was on a full Y from So. FL. and could not clear a flight 72 hours out top CDG They only had 17 empty seats still within 48 hours. I finally left a Message in the CEO office that they clear me or I will fly Y on AF home and never fly DL again. They did clear it and when we left 8 empty and 4 NR on the flight.

I was told in 2001 NRT is very rarely available for PMU as they sell out or hold hoping to till the last minute.

Since then I upgrade all the time on AA without trouble.

Please do not say we have only one flight and it is always full. If that is the case add one, its profitable.

I would fly AA, CO, NW etc to NRT as they are all better on overall service and availability than DL.
Old Feb 25, 04, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I can tell you from experience that at least some seats are available for PMUs on the ATL-NRT-ATL flights. I have made that run before and usually have the luxury and flexibility to choose my travel dates. I agree with heckler that this flight would be simply unbearable in coach, so I phoned SMS, gave them a window to work with, and they found seats on the outbound and return. I booked on the spot and had the BE seats I wanted. I can't speak for every flight, but PMU seats in BE have always been obtainable for me within a few days of my preferred travel dates.

Search this Thread