Paid First or Economy to Honolulu?

Old Feb 7, 04, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Paid First or Economy to Honolulu?

I'm planning to travel next month from Columbus, Ohio to Honolulu on Delta. I only hold Silver Medallion status.

The fares are fairly decent ($597 in economy, $1250 in first).

Since Delta's service has really become rock-bottom, would you recommend paying for first, or just trying to get an exit row in the back? (These will be 767-400's).

I'm not in the mood to deal with the absence of food or surly flight attendants, but I think that's the case on all of the airlines these days.

What do you suggest?
Old Feb 7, 04, 10:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Crown Room Club Member, United Mileage Plus, HiltonHonors
I'd pay $1250 to fly First Class from Columbus to Honolulu. That's a great deal.
Old Feb 7, 04, 11:03 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mats:
I'm planning to travel next month from Columbus, Ohio to Honolulu on Delta. I only hold Silver Medallion status.

The fares are fairly decent ($597 in economy, $1250 in first).

Since Delta's service has really become rock-bottom, would you recommend paying for first, or just trying to get an exit row in the back? (These will be 767-400's).

I'm not in the mood to deal with the absence of food or surly flight attendants, but I think that's the case on all of the airlines these days.

What do you suggest?
</font>
If the difference of the $650 isn't as important as your comfort, I'd go with the FC fare. My wife and I did for this summer and she's a PM and I'm a GM. Plus from ATL to HNL you would get 18,000+ MQMs (Columbus should be similar), maybe getting you close to Gold (it will help me hit PM by Sept). Those are LONG flights (if you think about it, more miles than going from ATL to London, Paris, Amsterdam, etc) and FC is much more relaxing than Y for that distance (we're talking 4500 MILES!). To us, apart from food, service, etc (which would be better) it is the relative calm and serenity of FC that would make the difference. Aloha!

[This message has been edited by atl runner (edited Feb 07, 2004).]

Old Feb 7, 04, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mats:
These will be 767-400's.</font>
You can always route through LAX if you desire to avoid the 764 for part of the trip.

Old Feb 7, 04, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
go F is MQMs are important to you.
Old Feb 7, 04, 2:48 pm

I'm not in the mood to deal with the absence of food or surly flight attendants</font>
Flight attendants are not surly on Delta!
Old Feb 7, 04, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
go F is MQMs are important to you.</font>
Don't forget the extra SkyMiles too.
Old Feb 7, 04, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Fopaa,

Usually they're great on Delta. But the past couple of trips they've all been obviously tired and embittered (not that I blame them--I just don't want to have to deal with their angst while I'm on vacation.)
-Mats.
Old Feb 7, 04, 6:21 pm

Fopaa,

Usually they're great on Delta. But the past couple of trips they've all been obviously tired and embittered (not that I blame them--I just don't want to have to deal with their angst while I'm on vacation.)
-Mats.
</font>
As I stated above, I'd go the FC route for the reasons outlined, but not becuase of the FAs. Obviously you get more one on one attention in FC (as it should be), but my wife and I fly DAL a lot and think that the great majority of DAL FAs have been AND STILL ARE friendly and helpful if treated with civility. DAL has a bunch of problems but the FAs aren't the thing DAL or its passengers shoud be worrying about. That's my opinion.

Old Feb 7, 04, 6:29 pm

We flew FC from SLC to HNL, returning Thanksgiving night 2003. Outbound the flight attendants were visibly ashamed and apologetic about the terrible food. There was free booze and a little more foot room (not like BE international.) The Flt Atts were very pleasant.

DL took care of the food problem coming back. They didn't serve ANY. Nor did they offer a drink. The male flight attendants were surly, bordering on aggressive. Just to rub it in the FA announced that if you wanted breakfast you could buy it for yourself in SLC. On God's honor, I'm not making this up.

OTOH we spent hours in the CRC in HNL and they are the nicest people you could ever meet and there is broadband available on their terminal, free.

If you need the mileage, and can justify it, by all means pay the extra but you certainly can't justify it for what you get.

Old Feb 7, 04, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Are you serious? I find it extremely difficult to believe that NO food or drink was served in F from HNL to SLC.

[Edited to add:] Not that I disbelieve you, but this would represent a new low for DL.

------------------
Vasant

[This message has been edited by vasantn (edited Feb 07, 2004).]
Old Feb 7, 04, 6:56 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vasantn:
Are you serious? I find it extremely difficult to believe that NO food or drink was served in F from HNL to SLC.

[Edited to add:] Not that I disbelieve you, but this would represent a new low for DL.

</font>
As God is my witness!
Old Feb 7, 04, 7:25 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by marilyn35406:
DL took care of the food problem coming back. They didn't serve ANY. Nor did they offer a drink. The male flight attendants were surly, bordering on aggressive. Just to rub it in the FA announced that if you wanted breakfast you could buy it for yourself in SLC. On God's honor, I'm not making this up.
</font>
This flight must have been an aberration. Perhaps catering and stores screwed up big time. I've flown HNL-SLC in F numerous times and have always had drinks during the boarding process and in the air as well as an in-flight snack served about an hour after departure.
Old Feb 7, 04, 8:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by marilyn35406:

DL took care of the food problem coming back. They didn't serve ANY. Nor did they offer a drink. The male flight attendants were surly, bordering on aggressive. Just to rub it in the FA announced that if you wanted breakfast you could buy it for yourself in SLC.
</font>
I've been on several flights back from HNL (always in FC) and never had anything remotely like that type of experience.
In fact, as FTraveler posted just above, much more the opposite. I wouldn't make a decision about whether to fly FC to/from HNL based on the above comment. I wouldn't think that it is the common experience, even allowing for differing perceptions that people have to a situation. And if it was really like that in FC, think how bad it must have been in Y.

Old Feb 7, 04, 8:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FTraveler:
This flight must have been an aberration. Perhaps catering and stores screwed up big time. I've flown HNL-SLC in F numerous times and have always had drinks during the boarding process and in the air as well as an in-flight snack served about an hour after departure. </font>
Let me be as clear as possible. I am PM, I fly all the time. I have UNDERSTATED the crew attitude on this flight. The guy said "NOW! we are going to turn the lights off. Put down your shades and go to sleep"
And buddy-boy, that was it. I have clearly identified the flight: Last flt to SLC Thanksgiving night. It was about an hour late leaving HNL. We took this flt as a sign of things to come and are rapidly converting our miles to certificates - We have 6 for Virgin upper class. And we'll convert as many as possible on DL prior to mid-March. It is really sad to see a wonderful airline with 95% great employees go into the ash-can. And I really hope I'm wrong.

All he had to do, if there was a stores problem, was tell us.

Note: I am not generally down on Delta. Since then I have flown 2 B/E R/T to Europe with zero complaints and I leave for Rome B/E on Thursday.

But that is the way it was!

Search this Thread