Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Eff. 4/1 Charge For Food Products For All Customers Flying In Coach/Economy in US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eff. 4/1 Charge For Food Products For All Customers Flying In Coach/Economy in US

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2004, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

From the bottom of Delta's latest online statement reminder:
"Based on positive customer feedback received during the test phase,
Delta is implementing its onboard food sales program on all flights over 1,550 miles within the U.S. Please note that as of April 1, 2004, there will be a charge for food products for all customers flying in Coach/Economy Class."

Interesting effective date for this "Enhanced" service.
Embellished News Heralding Annoying New Cutbacks Effecting Delta

[This message has been edited by WHY2K (edited Feb 13, 2004).]
Old Feb 13, 2004, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
And apparently -- as usual -- we asked for this to happen!

Bruce
Old Feb 13, 2004, 6:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Based on the response in other threads, this may be one area where DL is not stretching the truth that pax asked for this enhancement.
I've been a very vocal critic of buying food onboard an airline but everytime I raise the subject, the majority of posters seem to disagree. I rarely fly in the back of the bus and so don't have to face this until they start charging for FC meals. And I don't think it's a stretch to imagine this may happen sooner rather than later.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 7:29 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cholula:
Based on the response in other threads, this may be one area where DL is not stretching the truth that pax asked for this enhancement.
I've been a very vocal critic of buying food onboard an airline but everytime I raise the subject, the majority of posters seem to disagree. I rarely fly in the back of the bus and so don't have to face this until they start charging for FC meals. And I don't think it's a stretch to imagine this may happen sooner rather than later.
</font>
I guess it is better to have the option to pay for a decent meal then get a yucky meal for *free*. However, the ham sandwich has already decreased in size by at least 50%. What is good eats today may be bad one day down the road, then we are stuck paying for garbage....

I don't like the overall idea, but at the moment it is the lessor of two evils.

I flew F last week from CO to ATL and the meal was terrible. The FAs said they could not even stomach it.... I would have been willing to buy a meal from coach, but I had my own food.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
The only reason I have supported the food for purchase program was because too many times there was no food at all. I would rather pay for it then not have the option to eat. Of course, it doesn't affect me directly since I haven't been in the back in a while and when I am, I won't be paying there either.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 7:53 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Fine with me. As long as I have enough time to visit Popeye's in Atlanta's concourse B, I'm happy.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
This is almost as nice as when they starting charging for alcoholic beverages on international coach.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by USCGamecock:
This is almost as nice as when they starting charging for alcoholic beverages on international coach.</font>
I am sure that we asked for that also.

Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Effective today, Delta is giving free beer on all flights of over 1 hour in duration.

In addition, for flights lasting 2 or more hours, prunes and prune juice will be freely distributed.

And, in response to popular demand, Delta is immediately inaugerating a policy of pay toilets.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 1:54 am

Location: Napa, California - DL demoted to xx, AF+ Rouge, FB Platinum
Programs: Air France, Delta
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by USCGamecock:
This is almost as nice as when they starting charging for alcoholic beverages on international coach.</font>
Thats is why we are on Air France
Old Feb 14, 2004, 1:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GrapeDane:
Thats is why we are on Air France </font>
Of course, when your AF itinerary is on a Delta-operated codeshare flight you still wind up paying for the booze.

Old Feb 14, 2004, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then again, outside of wine, Af has the most pathetic drinks selection of any major worldwide airline!
Old Feb 14, 2004, 8:16 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
Then again, outside of wine, Af has the most pathetic drinks selection of any major worldwide airline!</font>
CX economy's selection is the worst I've seen.

BA economy's selection is excellent.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 8:23 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dovster:
Effective today, Delta is giving free beer on all flights of over 1 hour in duration.</font>
nahh, just all flights of 37 minutes in duration operated on planes with extra legroom. :-) for 37 minutes, i need a free snack and free alcohol, but for 4 hours 5pm-8pm (with time change), why do i need food?

(my BOS-DFW flight on monday at that time is listed as "food for purchase". i'm thinkin' i'll eat before i board.....)
Old Feb 14, 2004, 8:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
CX economy's selection is the worst I've seen.</font>
I haven't flown CX but I want to throw in a for the drink selection on AM. You want something more exotic than a shot of tequila or a beer, you'd better start scrambling.
I favor Bloody Mary's as my alcoholic beverage of choice onboard and many of the DL FA's can make a mean one. Some will add salt, pepper, extra limes, etc. AM's idea of a Bloody Mary is a tiny glass of tomato juice with a thimble-full of vodka. I've had some four hour flights on AM where I swear they can make three or four drinks out of the same mini bottle of vodka!
Must be a cultural thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.