FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Delta's 763ER - What a horrible interior... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/61413-deltas-763er-what-horrible-interior.html)

empedocles Feb 17, 2004 11:16 am

Delta's 763ER - What a horrible interior...

First time I rode in the 763ER across the Atlantic pond. I've had it on a LA flight once or twice, but really didn't pay much attention to it.

All I can say is WOW, the interior of this plane sucked. All the white plastic was yellowed, the overheads were way too small, the seat padding was worn down to nothing, as well as the seats doing the general "Delta-seats-falling-apart" gig.

I also noticed a significant difference in legroom between the middle and side columns of seats. I would say the middle has 1/2-3/4 inch less pitch.

Oh yeah, and the projector was screwed up on the way back; "ghosts" and wavy lines.

I thought the MD-11 was MUCH more confortable and generally in better shape, operational issues aside.

This is supposed to be DL's primary int'l plane, now that the MD's are gone and they're limiting the 777's? How sad.

All of the domestic 762's and 3's I've been on lately have had the modern expanded overheads, one would think...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rolleyes.gif

rrz518 Feb 17, 2004 1:42 pm

Just a question: why don't they use those new -400 planes for international? I know you guys hate the FC, but given these comments, I have found them to be at least shiny, new, and in good condition....and a good IFE system too.

Just wondering

Robert Leach Feb 17, 2004 2:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rrz518:
Just a question: why don't they use those new -400 planes for international? I know you guys hate the FC, but given these comments, I have found them to be at least shiny, new, and in good condition....and a good IFE system too.

Just wondering
</font>
The 767-400 aircraft were bought by Delta for use on domestic routes. They essentially replaced the L-1011s. They are configured in a domestic arrangement (i.e., no international business class seats).

There were roughly three or four intended purposes for the aircraft when Delta bought it, presented in diminishing order of priority:

1. Replace the L-1011 to Hawaii (much less expensive to operate the 767-400).

2. Use the 767-400 on high density, low yield flights to Florida (which to me fits the current configuration of the cabin).

3. Use the 767-400 for greater capacity out of LGA (a need which went by the wayside after 9/11 and the subsequent recession; remember, at the time the 767-400 was bought, Delta could sell just about any seat it had out of LGA. Now, it's pretty much all narrow body at LGA). The Port Authority even had to strengthen the supports for the runways where they extend into Flushing Bay to accommodate the 767-400.

4. Use the 767-400 for other long haul domestic routes out of ATL, such as ATL-LAX.

The aircraft was never planned for international use. At the time, the international flights were to be split between the 767-300 and a growing 777 fleet.

bocastephen Feb 17, 2004 3:19 pm

I fondly remember my first trip to Hawaii which started with a segment from FLL to ATL on one of Delta's brand new 767-300s, about 5 years ago.

Before we boarded, the gate agent got everyones' attention and made the announcement that it was a brand new aircraft, just delivered from Boeing, and this would be only its second passenger flight (the first was the previous night's flight from ATL). Then he went on to say how much Delta took pride in its aircraft and cleanliness and asked the pax to help keep it clean and new, and not leave marks, scratches, trash or footprints on the walls, respecting the new plane

I haven't been on a 763 in about a year, but I remember how tired those planes looked then, just a couple short years later. Made me quite sad.

The L1011s from ATL to HNL (and even from FLL to ATL) were my favorite ride. They looked very old and tired, but somehow that was part of their character and charm. All that smoke belching from the engines at start-up, and the takeoff run with the plane shuddering and moaning as it lifted off - that was always such a fun experience.

[This message has been edited by bocastephen (edited Feb 17, 2004).]

milemaker Feb 17, 2004 6:44 pm

Long Live the magnificient TRISTAR!!!! I'd take one anyday over a 767-400!!!! The F cabin was spacious and seat width and legroom was so much better than any 767 I've ever riden...

Seat1A Feb 17, 2004 11:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by empedocles:
I also noticed a significant difference in legroom between the middle and side columns of seats. I would say the middle has 1/2-3/4 inch less pitch.</font>
compare to the 763 domestic, which has 1-2" *more* pitch in the center section (rear cabin). the difference is huge -- there's a full row less in the center section than in the same space on the sides...

NYBanker Feb 18, 2004 4:15 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by empedocles:
the overheads were way too small</font>
Seems DL stopped converting the overheads mid-way through the 763ER B/E conversion. I'm sure it saves six-digits per conversion.

Further, I suspect DL was correct in doubting that many pax would select one carrier over another based on the size of the overhead bins. (I might factor it in to my decision, but I'm definitely in a very small minority.)

Sankaps Feb 18, 2004 8:42 am

Maybe not at first, but after strugglingwith small bins on a full flight, I am sure many pax would think twice before selecting Delta for their next trip if they could still get miles and fly on a partner with larger bins (NW, CO, or AF)?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NYBanker:

Further, I suspect DL was correct in doubting that many pax would select one carrier over another based on the size of the overhead bins. (I might factor it in to my decision, but I'm definitely in a very small minority.)
</font>

NoStressHere Feb 18, 2004 10:01 am

In all those surveys that airlines do, they usually ask questions like "What is the #1 reason you select a certain airline?" They never ask how important other reasons are.

In reality, airlines and flights are selected for a variety of reasons, some small, some large but they all add up to the final selection.

Though you would not de-select a flight based on a clean cabin, over time it does factor into your decision and you begin selecting different aircraft or a different airline all together. But, the accountants do not see that. Too bad.

jmscsc Feb 18, 2004 10:44 am

I fly DL's 767-300 across the Atlantic once a month and they are absolutely horrible. I agree that they need some major work to make their trans-Atlantic product more attractive. I'm getting close to switching to an international carrier for more comfort.

ss278 Feb 18, 2004 11:03 am

A pilot friend at Delta told me several days ago that a new bid for the "765" in Atlanta had just been posted -20 crews. The 765" is Delta's internal designation for the overwater or "international" flights of the 767-400.

Currently ATL only has a "764" base, all domestic -400 runs, while all the "765" pilots were all based in LAX, flying the Hawaii routes. Apparently Delta has decided to base "765" crews in ATL to fly the ATL-HNL and CVG-HNL flights as well as Atlanta-Lima. He said no decison had been made regarding changing out the interiors to BE for the Lima flights or to isolate one or two planes to the South America route.

[This message has been edited by ss278 (edited Feb 18, 2004).]