Delta vs United

Old Feb 9, 04, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
Delta vs United

Forgive the cross post from TravelBuzz but I never know where best to post. For now I am not going to clutter another Forum by posting in United although it would be interesting to see what they say. Where some flyers are loyal to their usual carrier, most are fed up (with cause) to the point that I would expect Delta flyers to recommend United and United flyers delta. Anyhow, I have tickets on both on 24 hour hold which although I may roll for a day or two means I need quick advice.

I am flying SDF to SFO in economy. Am I better off flying Delta 763 or 757 to/from CVG or United 777/763 in E+ to/from ORD. Either works for status/miles although Delta is my usual carrier since it has more service out of SDF and I would have Crown Room access. Until US partnered with United I avoided it as I had no status.
Old Feb 9, 04, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/PM/FC; LH FT; UA Gold
I would go UA. E+ beats DL coach anytime. ALso no more 763's going from CVG to SFO.
Old Feb 10, 04, 8:45 am

Programs: DL DM MM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
If your not expecting an upgrade either way, I would go with United in E+. The leg room is worth it. Besides the Air Trafic channel is worth listening to on any such flight.

However, if it came down to trying to get an upgrade, I would go with DL. Even with the unlimited upgrades, it's really no different for a GM than it use to be as PM had unlimited upgrade previously.

swps
Old Feb 10, 04, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Am on cheapest ticket and taking my wife. Changes of getting us both into first are slim to none. Cost if just I were upgraded -- too much grief!!!
Old Feb 10, 04, 11:14 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
The SDF-ORD UA flight is a regional jet (either Bae146 or the horrible CRJ). SDF-ATL, on the other hand, has mainline service.

You've really gotten yourself into a quandary, with each airline having fairly equal advantages. Oh, well, flip a coin -- heads, UA; tails, DL.

------------------
"Don't be sorry. Be quiet!" -- Minister, Spaceballs
Old Feb 10, 04, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Crown Room Club Member, United Mileage Plus, HiltonHonors
I'm a DL frequent flyer, and a Crown Room member, but on this one I'd pick the UA widebody for comfort over the possible single aisle DL 757 for such a long flight.
Old Feb 10, 04, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

I took the United option. Thanks for the insights.
Old Feb 10, 04, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Smart man. Sorry I saw this thread so late.

Fellow Louisvillian, UA is the way to go. The BAE146 planes are fairly comfortable to ORD and the CRJs... well they're CRJs. However, much of the aircraft DL operates to ATL is now RJ as well, so that's a wash and ORD is closer to SDF than ATL is.

From ORD, UA wins hands down. Unless you're planning on drinking away your coach misery in the CRC, you'll be happier in E+. If your wife is a sport, you can even hike from T2 to the end of T3 at ORD and still use the CRC. If you're flying before the end of Feb, your CRC card will admit you to the RCC.

My SDF batting order is now: AA, US, UA, DL/NW (ehh.. tough choice), WN, Bob's Pretty Good Charter, CO.

Search this Thread