Earned 500 SMUs --> Miles

Old Feb 4, 04, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanum, Hilton Diamond
Earned 500 SMUs --> Miles

Has anyone heard of and/or had any luck getting earned 500 SMUs converted to miles. I have 21 of these things, but am losing my FO status due to my purchasing LUT fares throughout 2003.

If I were to still fly DL again (which will not happen for a long time except to burn miles), I know I don't have a prayer at upgrading with the new system w/ no status. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old Feb 4, 04, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
SMU's do not convert into anything. They have no value outside of domestic upgrading.

Sorry.

Come to think of it, since all elites are now getting "unlimited" upgrades, anyone know what happens to SMU's possessed by former elites?
Old Feb 4, 04, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

That's what I have.. I earned 21 of these things flying Delta all last year. (My 500 miles upgrade balance says 56 on delta.com)

I'm guessing it's just one more way Delta will slap me in the face for not buying K+ fares. Take my status and my earned upgrades. I had 12,700 MQM last year, all LUT. Multiply that by 2 and there's FO again. Oh well..

I'm not asking for the 35 deposited upgrades for the problems with their kiosk system (or whatever the reason was).. just the ones rightfully earned for giving them my business.

[This message has been edited by BDLMSYDL (edited Feb 04, 2004).]
Old Feb 4, 04, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
Supposedly, you should be able to upgrade at the gate until the MUPs expire.
Old Feb 4, 04, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
Supposedly, you should be able to upgrade at the gate until the MUPs expire.</font>
What are the odds of that with the new system??
Old Feb 4, 04, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
Probably pretty high. I'm batting 100% for upgrades out of BDL, given the large aircraft flown to ATL, a high % of leisure travellers (who supposedly do not have elite status) and BDL receives a very low % of Boston traffic.

When I've flown out of Windsor Locks in F, there have been empty seats in F on several occasions. If you find four hours before your flight that many F seats are still available, go to the airport ASAP and get on the standby list. With any moderate degree of luck, you should be able to clear you in F all the way though.

And if not, you have a viable excuse to never fly DL again!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: