Wiki Posts
Search

Caribbean upgrade confusion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2004, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Caribbean upgrade confusion

I am trying to book a round trip to the Caribbean on delta.com. When I get to the final itinerary screen prior to confirming the booking, it shows upgrade status for my North America-Caribbean legs as "not applicable." I have confirmed that both a/c are operated in a two-class configuration.

Can anyone lend some insight into the issue? Are Caribbean destinations still valid destinations for upgrades?
Old Feb 2, 2004, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
According to this they are.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about/...ades/index.jsp
Old Feb 3, 2004, 4:52 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, HGP ♦; former elite in Hilton, Marriott & DL (just under MM thanks to Leo)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HKG_Flyer1:
Can anyone lend some insight into the issue?</font>
Any luck in getting any info (or on the waitlist) from the good folks in SMS?
Old Feb 3, 2004, 7:06 am

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I had this problem recently with a requested upgrade to St. Maarten (SXM). Apparently it is considered "international" whereas the rest of the Caribbean is not. SMS and Customer Care could do nothing on the matter, but a letter to Vicki's office produced a call from a man who said they were aware of the issue, agreed it isn't fair, and promised to work with me in the future should the problem arise again. Unfortunately, he didn't get back to me until after my trip had been completed so it did little good!

My thought was that since the flights to SXM are only once a week, they just figured they don't need to make upgrades available and can sell the seats. Basic point is that there is no V upgrade inventory made available on some of these flights... before, near, or at departure, even if there are empty seats. Zero, zilch, nada.

When I get home tonight I will try to find the contact information for the guy in the Executive Office who is aware of this and email it to you HKG_Flyer1.

[This message has been edited by EchoVictor (edited Feb 03, 2004).]
Old Feb 3, 2004, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I spoke to SMS, and at first was told that the flight wasn't eligible for upgrading. When I gently pressed further, the agent double-checked and confirmed that the flight was eligible and I should just call to be put on the upgrade list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.