AF 747-400 Upper Deck

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
AF 747-400 Upper Deck

I'm sure I'll be (probably rightfully) chastised for posting this here, but:

I switched my CDG-JFK flight on AF to a later flight as this may be my last opportunity to fly on the upper deck of a 747. Any first-hand recommendations as to seats? 65A and 65B look the best according to this seat map, but perhaps they have drawbacks that are not apparent. I've also read on the AF board that those seats are only made available at the airport. So alternative recommendations would be appreciated.

While we're on the topic, what is the upper deck like? Is it worthwhile to experience it at least once? Or should I have stayed with my original 777 flight? Posters on the AF board seem not to like the 747 at all.

BTW, this segment is on a DL itinerary on a DL codeshare flight (my justification for posting this here ).

------------------
Vasant
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:24 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
While I can't speak for the AF upper-deck, I can say that it is well worth trying. I always feel like I'm in a small airplane on top of a bigger airplane. Also, I found the service better up on the second floor .
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I do not know about Air France, but I have been on the upper deck of a Qantas 747 (also 400 series, if I remember correctly) in Business class. I thoroughly enjoyed it during the greater-than-14-hour flight from Los Angeles to Sydney.

I would do it just to say I did it. However, for the most part, I did not see much difference between being in the front of the airplane and being in the upper deck of the airplane, except that it was pretty cool going up and down stairs (although that did not have to be done at all during the flight). There were also compartments next to the window seats, which proved to be quite useful. I guess it depends on the airline chosen and the configuration of its aircraft.

I say go for it, vasantn!
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:49 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I flew LAX-CDG on a 1 year old 747-400 2 weeks ago, and returned this past Sunday on a much older one. Unfortunately, I was flying F, so I didn't get to venture into the upper business cabin. But if it is anything similar to VS upstairs, I'd say you gotta do it just once. How many planes can you fly "upstairs". I prefer the lower deck because I like open spaces, but the upper deck was fun.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jeffreyt:
Unfortunately, I was flying F...</font>
ahem, you might want to rethink your choice of words
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:22 pm

My last time on the upper deck of an AF 744 was in 1997, when the product was still relatively fresh.

I don't recall any particular shortcoming in the exit rows.

While the pitch is nothing to write home about, the 2-2 arrangement certainly feels more premium than the 2-3-2 found downstairs and on the 777. Good call on the 744!
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
vasantn, those 65AB seats are the seats with the most leegroom on any airplane/any airline! I enjoy these very much very time i fly these birds! Also, the service upstairs is usually finished earlier then downstairs, so plenty of sleeping time if you need that.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Having been fortunate enough to have taken about 100-200 flights upstairs on 747s, from a wide bunch of airlines - AF included IIRC, (and ALL on my own dime for vacations!) IMO the experience is impossible to beat, especially long haul.

(And ESPECIALLY in the exit rows!)

Lufthansa for instance still has First Class upstairs, so that tells you its own story.

'Go for it' is my vote.

I do not know WHY but infants are very seldom found upstairs. There are no bassinet facilities on the forward bulkhead of most airlines, and even if there are, sitting back at exit row area you are a ton of distance away.

Sitting DOWNSTAIRS in Biz/First, is where I have always experienced screaming kids for 14+ hours etc.

------------------
~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from a UA 747-400 exit row 15 near you SOON!
Old Jan 30, 2004, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Thanks for all the great feedback!

I personally believe that the 747 is the finest aircraft ever built, and am sorry that I rarely get to fly on it any more. And I've never experienced being a passenger in the upper deck, although I've been up there in the very early days when they used to have a lounge and a bar rather than seats. Yeah, I know that makes me OLD!

------------------
Vasant
Old Jan 30, 2004, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I have experienced the upper deck on NZ/UA/TG/SQ and LH. In my view upper deck is the best best place to spend a longhaul flight. There are no more than ~30 seats up there and the 2x2 configuration gives a sense of privacy. I also find the upper deck quieter than downstairs. As an added bonus when you get the exit row seat you get more space than in first class. I always pre-book the exit row seat and almost everytime I get that seat. Often when I call the airline to reserve that seat I am told that it is allocated at the airport. However, if I call again and speak with a different agent I get the seat allocated! The moral of the story is to keep calling!
Good luck and enjoy the flight
Old Jan 30, 2004, 6:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
This was my first time on a 747-400 since I flew on a DL codeshare flight on VS when VS was a codeshare partner back in the mid 90s. I agree.. they are an incredible plane. When you sit in row 1 in the nose and look out the first window, it feels like you are flying the plane because of the curve in the front end of the plane, you can almost see in front of you.

If you fly upstairs or downstairs, enjoy the flight on this aircraft on a DL ticket.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fm747:

I have experienced the upper deck on NZ/UA/TG/SQ and LH. In my view upper deck is the best best place to spend a longhaul flight. There are no more than ~30 seats up there and the 2x2 configuration gives a sense of privacy. I also find the upper deck quieter than downstairs. As an added bonus when you get the exit row seat you get more space than in first class. I always pre-book the exit row seat and almost everytime I get that seat. Often when I call the airline to reserve that seat I am told that it is allocated at the airport. However, if I call again and speak with a different agent I get the seat allocated! The moral of the story is to keep calling!
Good luck and enjoy the flight </font>
Well, for the record I took a few Thai (TG) 747s last year which had FORTY seats upstairs which was insane. (UA has 26) Like being in a time warp back to the 1970s. No PTV, no footrest, hopeless recline, no headrest adjustment, pull down cinema screen deal, that you need to Limbo under to get to loo etc.

All airlines differ on exit row allocation policy. On United any Gold or upwards Elite member can request and be allocated and set in concret, any exit rows on any plane, any route, 330 days out, if they are not already taken.

Which is where my "row #15" FT signature line comes from.,

------------------
~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from a UA 747-400 exit row 15 near you SOON!
Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:59 pm

Am I the only one who has feelsthat the upper deck is a bit over-hyped ? or am I psychosomatic-cum-claustrophobic ? Oh Well !!
Old Jan 31, 2004, 12:18 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by akhullar:
Am I the only one who has feelsthat the upper deck is a bit over-hyped ? or am I psychosomatic-cum-claustrophobic ? Oh Well !! </font>
You do seem to hold the minority view.
I love the upper deck on the AF 747. I have not been blessed to have the exit rows, but have been so pleased with the ambiance and service. I also like the storage areas under the windows. Yes, it is not FC..but not a bad alternative. I would always opt for upper deck on the 747. A cozier, more attentive service. Downside: Be prepared to crawl over your seat-mate on your way to the lav. It is a rather intimate experience, but, no less-so than downstairs.
DL always seems to have row 61 (bulkhead) assigned., Definitely, arrive earlier and try for the exit rows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.