Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Assignments After Loss of FO Status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2003, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Seat Assignments After Loss of FO Status

So thanks to the new SkyMiles program, I will be losing my FO status on 3/1/04. Here's my question... If I still choose to fly DL, will "preferred" seat assignments (exit row for example) made for a trip booked after 3/1/04 be reassigned to regular coach seats and/or will I not be permitted to select the "preferred" seats for an itinerary booked after that date?

I have a couple of trips I need to make and this will be a factor in whether or not I choose to keep some of my business with DL.

[This message has been edited by BDLMSYDL (edited Dec 07, 2003).]
Old Dec 7, 2003, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
I believe if you buy the tickets now, you will be able to select preferred seating. After it expires, you will not be able to change to other preferred seats, nor will tickets purchased after expiration will you be able to select preferred seating. In addition, even if you have preferred selected seats, you will not be able to board early with other medallions, although you might have preferred seating after expiration. I imagine you cannot upgrade either and you lose your MSU's.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
You DO keep your MSU's and you can use them to upgrade at the airport, only, up to 4 hours in advance (or is it 6?) in advance.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I would highly doubt that a seat already selected will go away. After all, there are other ways to get that seat than to be a Skymiler, like an agent that is extra helpful.

Getting access to those seats after your status goes away is another story.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 6:06 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
You DO keep your MSU's and you can use them to upgrade at the airport, only, up to 4 hours in advance (or is it 6?) in advance.</font>
Where did you find this out? I have known people who had MSU's and could no longer use them at all after losing status.

[This message has been edited by GoCanes (edited Dec 08, 2003).]
Old Dec 8, 2003, 7:16 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
It is possible to lose MSUs that have expired at the end of the year. Nothing you can do about that. But if you have MSUs that expire at the end of the NEXT year, you can continue to use them to upgrade, but at airport only.

Do a search on FT and see for yourself. Call up Delta and they'll tell you the same.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 8:25 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
The preferred coach seats are exactly the same as the other coach seats. This is Delta, not UA!

One time I took a CVG-LGA 757 flight late at night that was booked by only about 50 people.

I sat halfway between the front and back, surrounded by a sea of empty seats. The flight attendants (or whoever did it) didn't even bother putting out pillows in the rows behind me, because not one soul was back there.

In the "preferred" zone up front, people were jammed in, middle seats and all!

------------------
"It's as easy as 1, 2, C" -- Kelly, Married With Children
Old Dec 8, 2003, 1:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GoCanes:
..... In addition, even if you have preferred selected seats, you will not be able to board early with other medallions, although you might have preferred seating after expiration. ..... </font>
Not true. Had silver status last year (lost it this year) when I booked for a free flight to Hawaii for this past November. All of my boarding passes still showed silver and my entire party was able to board early.

[This message has been edited by bobbornstein (edited Dec 08, 2003).]
Old Dec 8, 2003, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Silver
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bobbornstein:
[B] Not true. Had silver status last year (lost it this year) when I booked for a free flight to Hawaii for this past November. All of my boarding passes still showed silver and my entire party was able to board early.

Interesting. So if I know I will go from GM to FO on 2/29/04, and I also know I will be going to LAS in mid-march, I should book my ticket know so I can still have all the GM benefits?

Old Dec 8, 2003, 5:48 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cornered in CVG:

Interesting. So if I know I will go from GM to FO on 2/29/04, and I also know I will be going to LAS in mid-march, I should book my ticket know so I can still have all the GM benefits?

</font>
No need to rush. You will still be Gold Medallion until two weeks before your flight.

Besides, both Silver and Gold get early boarding. I don't think you will get anything that is run by the computer (upgrades or mileage bonus).

------------------
"Press two and the star button now" -- AA automated information by telephone, 1996
"Press two" -- AA automated information by telephone, 2003

[This message has been edited by JS (edited Dec 08, 2003).]
Old Dec 8, 2003, 6:17 pm

Location: NW Platinum, UA UGS, Hertz Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
JS is exactly right. As long as you do not re-enter you Skymiles number into your PNR after FO/GM/PM status expires, then your BP will show that status. This is good for anything where the computer is not required; preferred boarding, priority security, and sometimes the CRC if they just look at the Platinum on your BP and wave you through. Upgrades will not fly though.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 6:48 pm

Can you confirm that status doesn't expire until the end of February?

I think DL moved to a Feb. based year a couple years ago (couldn't get credentials out) but I want to make sure they didn't roll things back to December.

The timing is critical for me because I want to redeem old FF miles using the old Medallion chart, but want the award certs to have a long shelf life.

Thanks. BTW, I ran a search on this but didn't come up with much. Perhaps I didn't have a good search strategy.

Old Dec 10, 2003, 8:43 am

Gentle bump regarding my question about when status expires.
February 28, 2004 or 12/31/2003?
Old Dec 10, 2003, 8:45 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
2/28/04, though I reckon it will actually be 2/29/04.

Definitely not 12/31/03.

Edited to note that my medallion card reads "02/04."

[This message has been edited by andymo99 (edited Dec 10, 2003).]
Old Dec 10, 2003, 9:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
February 29, 2004

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.