Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So Long, Leo - Mullin resigns!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Yeah, probably right. Wishful thinking on my part!

Bruce
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:32 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Well, at least Uncle Leo gave me a CD for Christmas when he joined. Remember those?
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:34 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
I didn't even realize Grinstein was still alive, let alone capable of running an airline anymore. I'm extremely surprised that Fred Reid didn't get the nod here, although his involvement in the Comair debacle didn't win any friends at ALPA.
</font>
That was the biggest surprise to me. I think most people saw Reid as being groomed as Leo's successor. Bringing in a fossil like Grinstein makes one wonder. Certainly gives some fuel for those who think DL and CO are headed for a merger.

Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:43 am

I guess he won't leave without a nice golden (maybe platinum?) parachute.
What do you think?
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Will Vicki and Patrice be leaving with him?

Doubtful, the press release only said, "The Board accepted Leo's decision to retire with regret."

"Regret" is not Vicki herself, merely what her husband feels.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: I do this for a living.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Robert Leach:
Of course, one must also assume that he fired Mullin. Sorry, I don't buy the "retirement" line.</font>
I don't either. DL continues to put up gallons of red ink and drives its elite customers away, while the dominant players in the rest of the industry are doing the opposite. Somebody needed to be the fall guy.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by avek00:
Delta has MUCH bigger fish to fry at the moment than a few changes to the Medallion program, like controlling labor costs. </font>
I don't want to start up the debate again about how much better/worse DL is now since they announced the 2004 SM's changes. But if these "few" changes drove away elite customers by the thousands....and I contend they did...then this is as serious a matter for the future of DL as anything else Leo has to face. Customers....especially big spending customers....are the backbone of ANY business. If you actively chase these folks away then it's going to come back to haunt you at some point.

Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:56 am

Mullin is nothing but a jerk, it's great to hear he's bailing out!

I love how he's getting a $16 million package for his retirement. That's deserved just as much as his $16 million bonus he took last time that he was sooooo kind to give back $9 million of.

Adios, don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out!
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dovster:
Will Vicki and Patrice be leaving with him?

Doubtful, the press release only said, "The Board accepted Leo's decision to retire with regret."

"Regret" is not Vicki herself, merely what her husband feels.
</font>
Is "Regret" anything like "Enhancement"?

Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:05 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ConnFlyer:
That was the biggest surprise to me. I think most people saw Reid as being groomed as Leo's successor. Bringing in a fossil like Grinstein makes one wonder. Certainly gives some fuel for those who think DL and CO are headed for a merger.

</font>
Are you suggesting that DL has discovered a new source of fossil fuel?

Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:31 am

While I can sort of understand the glee so many of you are expressing about this news, it definitely isn't good news for the airline industry *or us frequent flyers* !

The fact is that the airline industry is in trouble and if the majors can't keep a steady hand at the helm and keep on changing CEOs, eventually the owners are going to put severe cost cutters in charge. That is when we begin to lose most of our accrued (and future) benefits of being frequent flyers. If you think we have lost a lot already, look out below.

------------------
Mark DL PM/HH GD
Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:45 am

Wow 4 hours after the first post there are 2 pages of replies.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:02 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jerry crump:
Wow 4 hours after the first post there are 2 pages of replies.</font>
If you think that's impressive, wait until we announce the time and place for the going away party -- the one Leo won't be invited to.

Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:06 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
A Prediction!!

Gordon Bethune, after leading CO from Worst to First and back to Worst again, will be the next CEO of DL.

"Birds of a feather...."
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by markr33:
While I can sort of understand the glee so many of you are expressing about this news, it definitely isn't good news for the airline industry *or us frequent flyers* !

The fact is that the airline industry is in trouble and if the majors can't keep a steady hand at the helm and keep on changing CEOs, eventually the owners are going to put severe cost cutters in charge. That is when we begin to lose most of our accrued (and future) benefits of being frequent flyers. If you think we have lost a lot already, look out below.
</font>
I disagree. This departure is very good news for DL frequent flyers.

Over and over again, we hear how management of the big six legacy airlines must share some of the blame for their current predicament. Leo has not fixed what ails DL, so he must go. That's good for the FFs, the employees and the shareholders. It's good for all constituents.

Management is not entirely to blame for the woes visited upon airlines in the last 30 months, but neither are they blameless. And it is about time that the leaders be held accountable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.