Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Support a Delta FT friend while supporting a great cause! The 2003 Version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2003, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff

Can you believe that it has already been one year since the generous folks from the DL FT forum raised over $5500 to support AIDS Walk Atlanta and our very own Russ21Atl!?

Well, it is true. A year has passed since we joined together in support of this great cause. Much has changed over the course of the past year: NAMUs are no longer, tray linens are a thing of the past, the BDL CRC is gone, and "base miles" are but a quaint memory. More seriously, however, there are other things that have not changed. AIDS is as great a health issue today as it was one year ago, and raising money for research and healthcare is still an extremely important and laudable activity. On Oct 19, Russ will again take part in AIDS Walk Atlanta. I hope that we as a group can do our part and match last year's efforts by again raising over $5500 for Russ.

It is often stated around these parts that we have great appreciation, respect and admiration for Delta's front line employees. I encourage everyone to demonstrate those sentiments by making a donation in support of one of Delta's very best.

As was the case last year, there is a very simple means to give online. Conveniently, we'll all be able to once again watch as Russ' fundraising total climbs. You can click right here to view Russ' personal donation page and make your credit card contribution.

Best of luck to Russ, and thanks in advance to everyone who will participate in this important fundraiser.

Yours,
Andy

[This message has been edited by andymo99 (edited 07-24-2003).]
Old Jul 24, 2003, 6:02 pm
ak

I can't believe it's already been a year. Time does fly. Thanks for posting this.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 6:18 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold & Avis First
Hey andymo99 and the rest of the FT gang. I know this past year has brought many changes to the board, but I hope the commitment for community support remains the same.

If you could, please forward the link above to your family/friends and co-workers. The fights against AIDS is far from over, and your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

For those new to FT, you can see my personal page with pictures etc from last year's walk.

Thanks again in advance for the support.
Russ

BTW...I've seen on other threads that some FTers feel as though threads here should revolve strictly around the subject at hand (miles/flts etc). I hope bringing this particular topic to the DL forum sits well with everyone. This is a Delta sponsored event, just as other recent events talked about on the board. As we all know, this cause does get stereotyped as a "gay thing" but we know its a global "human thing." Please reach deep down and make a tax-deductible contribution! From the bottom of my heart, thank you very much; not only for this, but for your continued business/interest with my employer.

[This message has been edited by Russ21Atl (edited 07-24-2003).]
Old Jul 24, 2003, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Way to go, Russ! Thanks again for your AIDS fundraising efforts and for being a great Delta employee!
Old Jul 25, 2003, 12:50 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:
Can you believe that it has already been one year since the generous folks from the DL FT forum raised over $5500 to support AIDS Walk Atlanta and our very own Russ21Atl!?

Well, it is true. A year has passed since we joined together in support of this great cause. Much has changed over the course of the past year: NAMUs are no longer, tray linens are a thing of the past, the BDL CRC is gone, and "base miles" are but a quaint memory. More seriously, however, there are other things that have not changed. AIDS is as great a health issue today as it was one year ago, and raising money for research and healthcare is still an extremely important and laudable activity. On Oct 19, Russ will again take part in AIDS Walk Atlanta. I hope that we as a group can do our part and match last year's efforts by again raising over $5500 for Russ.

It is often stated around these parts that we have great appreciation, respect and admiration for Delta's front line employees. I encourage everyone to demonstrate those sentiments by making a donation in support of one of Delta's very best.

As was the case last year, there is a very simple means to give online. Conveniently, we'll all be able to once again watch as Russ' fundraising total climbs. You can click right here to view Russ' personal donation page and make your credit card contribution.

Best of luck to Russ, and thanks in advance to everyone who will participate in this important fundraiser.

Yours,
Andy

[This message has been edited by andymo99 (edited 07-24-2003).]
</font>
Andy, sometimes you drive me slightly crazy. But when you bring this issue to the forefront, all is forgiven. At this time of night, I can't even find my wallet or credit card,but I'll get the ball rolling in the light of day. Good luck to Russ and thanks to you Andymo99 for bringing this issue front and center again and reminding us, once again, that there is really a much bigger picture. To Russ: only hope that you not only meet, but exceed your goal from last year and that those who are disllusioned with the changes to the Medallion program will open their hearts, minds and wallets to this most noble cause. To the newcomers on this Board, may I say that Russ21Atl was our advocate/ombudsman, before his lips were sealed by management. It makes no difference. He may not be able to publicly state his point of view, but it does not make his charity any less noble and worthy. Thanks, Russ. Well, as luck would have it, my wallet was sitting right next to my bathroom sink. So, decided to make a donation to Aidswalkatlanta before washing my face.
Speaking personally, and as a moderator, this is a great topic and one I am pleased to see back on this Board. Let's get you leading the team again this year.
O2K

[This message has been edited by obscure2k (edited 07-25-2003).]
Old Jul 25, 2003, 5:08 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
Well, as luck would have it, my wallet was sitting right next to my bathroom sink. So, decided to make a donation to Aidswalkatlanta before washing my face.
</font>
O2K......TMI !!

I do agree, however, that this is a great cause. I'm getting ready to jump on a couple of DL flights but will make a contribution when I reach my destination tonight.
BTW, I wasn't familiar with Russ21Atl as a poster on this board so thanks for the explanation as to why he is no longer active.

Old Jul 25, 2003, 5:16 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Russ works for DL in ATL CRCs, and his activities on behalf of his comapny and our membership were essentially shut down by his employer. Whereas other companies actually have formalized a corporate presence on the FT board (Starwood), DL felt that it did not want an official presnce and more importantly, it did not want unofficial participation either. A sad loss for both DL and us, for RussAtl21 represnted his company to the highest and most ethical standards.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 9:16 pm

$475 raised during the first day! Thanks FTers. Let's keep the momentum going. Please get as many people involved as you can.

G'night all.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
$625 so far! Let's help Russ break last year's total!
Old Jul 27, 2003, 7:22 am

Just contributed $100... posted to bump the topic to the top of the page.

Even though I totally detest artificial bumps in general! But not in this case!

[This message has been edited by RobertS975 (edited 07-27-2003).]
Old Jul 27, 2003, 9:00 am

RobertS975, thanks for the donation and the bump!

The total is building nicely...up to $800 now!

Over the next few months you will read/hear many thank you's from me, but I mean it. This will be my 4th walk and being a Team Captain for the ATL CRCs requires a lot of support from family and friends.

I could not do this w/o the help from FTers, and I just want y'all to know how thankful I am!
Old Jul 28, 2003, 9:26 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Robert: I often like bumps.

Russ: You'll hear from us in September. Keep up the good work!
Old Jul 29, 2003, 8:14 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
Just contributed $100... posted to bump the topic to the top of the page.

Even though I totally detest artificial bumps in general! But not in this case!

[This message has been edited by RobertS975 (edited 07-27-2003).]
</font>
Old Jul 29, 2003, 9:20 pm

Thanks for the bump there obscure2k.

Again, thanks to all. I know the DL/FT board is a little different than in years past, and my interactions have been limited to other boards, but I hope to still reach the higher goal I set for myself. For those of you who work at large businesses (for example)- please forward this thread to your circle of friends, who will forward to their friends- so on and so forth; before you know it magical things will happen.

Like last year the Hilton Atlanta Airport & Towers is donating a gift certificate (good for 2 night's room and tax) for their hotel.

This got me thinking...from my use of MyPoints and my Discover card, I have $260 in gift certs to The Sharper Image. I also have a $30 gift card to Target and $40 to Aveda.

I'm in the early stages of gathering goods/services to auction off or to include in a raffle (still not sure which will warrant the best return). I think this will contribute to the effort greatly. If anyone in Atlanta or elsewhere has any ideas or contacts, please e-mail me! [email protected]

Again, thanks to everyone.

[This message has been edited by Russ21Atl (edited 07-29-2003).]
Old Jul 30, 2003, 2:17 pm

back to the top, if just for a moment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.