Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

What a PITY - DL FA "reprimanded" over Song and PM feedback

Old Aug 20, 03, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

What a shame - but ,unfortunately, not a shock. Just got a off a DL longhaul - won't mention route to protect the innocent. Had a VERY depressing conversation with a DL On Board Leader OBL. Was stretching in the galley and struck up a conversation with OBL- naturally, I mention my disappointment with PM changes. She replied - "tell me about it" and relayed how she had recently been reprimanded by her superiors for passing along VOLUMES (her word not mine) of complaints regarding the Skymiles changes- Additionally, she forwarded a bunch of VERY negative comments that she had been receiving from paxs regarding experiences on SONG. She said that she had not heard a SINGLE positive comment about SONG. She said that most passengers said NEVER AGAIN and said the service was chaotic , the pitch did not seem to be as advetised and was certainly less than UA EPLUS or AA MoreRoom or jetBlue , and most said it was simply DL Express on a 757. Her supervisor called her in and said that her comments contributed to a "negative working environment", were "bad for morale", and quite franly"not in the best interests of Delta". When she defended herself by asserting that she was simply forwarding CUSTOMER comments she got "We are tired of these whiners - they can never be satisfied, they have no clue when it comes to running an airline." WOW WOW WOW - What a pity - The OBL went on to say that "RUMORS" circulating around DL are that 1. any negative comments regarding SONG are being ignored or "misplaced" 2. word has it that the Satellite TV is WAY behind and maybe 1 or 2 ships will have by 1Q 2004 3. many finance types a DL have referred to SONG as the worst decision in the history of Delta, a drain on resources and a distraction from the core business plan - many wish it would go AWAY - Thought I would pass this along - seems awfully sad - but totally believable. I think it oi time to start another media barrage - Vicki made comments - where is the substance ???? I think the threads on her comments and the ones regarding her skewed math should be forwarded to the media folks in CVG and ATL that seemed sympathetic. As
AC/DC would sing this company is on a "Highway to Hell".
Old Aug 20, 03, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Nooo stop signs, speed limits..."

Bummer that forwarding customer feedback got someone in trouble. More evidence that DL simply turns a deaf ear when feedback is not to their liking or worse yet, they shoot the messenger.
Old Aug 20, 03, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mister Nice:
many finance types at DL have referred to SONG as the worst decision in the history of Delta, a drain on resources and a distraction from the core business plan - many wish it would go AWAY </font>
then they should have spoken up louder and voiced their concerns. Song should have never been allowed out of the planning room.

I think our fears of Song taking over the domestic arena completely and replacing standard mainline service (taking FC with it), are probably not going to come true.

I am very disappointed (but not surprised) with DL's handling of the complaints. Although the statement is "heresay", calling complaining customers 'whiners', certainly is not an attitude that is geared towards listening to the customer. No wonder Vicki is traveling the country interviewing AirTran passengers...her group certainly has no interest in listening to her own customers.

Old Aug 20, 03, 4:27 pm

f she or he was a long haul flight attendant which I assume means international how did she/he come into contact with soo many Song passengers? Again it just sounds like sour grapes or made up stories about Song but I do agree with the FF changes portion of her/his story.
Old Aug 20, 03, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
When you look up incompetence or "bad business decisions" in the dictionary, you'll probably find pictures of the Delta Corporate board..
Old Aug 20, 03, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because if she was a long haul FA, pretty much anyone connecting from Florida probably hit JFK ON A SONG FLIGHT!!! That's how.

Old Aug 21, 03, 12:08 am

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
We are Delta. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Old Aug 21, 03, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Soylent Green is people too!
Old Aug 21, 03, 5:54 am

Programs: Delta Platinum;Delta 2MM;Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite;Hertz 5*
" We are tired of those whiners--THEY HAVE NO CLUE WHEN IT COMES TO RUNNING AN AIRLINE" Interesting commest and respect for their CUSTOMERS !! I think the real question ought to be --do they ?? Remember Leo was a banker and a back office one at that, not a seasoned airline exec. Bring back Ron Allen. At least he cared about his clients. I just hope the Delta PR folks don't talk CO & NW into being as arrogrant as they have become.
Old Aug 21, 03, 6:20 am
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
"Kill the messenger" has never been a particularly effective strategy! But Delta's management has been intimidating front-line employees for quite a while now -- at least since Leo Mullin arrived in 1997.

Bruce
Old Aug 21, 03, 6:25 am

Programs: delta/song
First of all, I'm sorry that management does not want to hear from our valued customers and employees. That does not seem to surprise me! It's funny, I work SONG and have barely heard one complaint. The mainline flight attendant probably has never been on a SONG flight and surely has much to say. I wonder why we have not heard the feedback she has been hearing and we work there? You have to understand that there are quite a few employees who do not want to see SONG succeed. If we succeed, we will expand and that means less for mainline. It is very sad that there is such a divide and all these horrible rumors are being passed around. I can tell you firsthand, all flights are full and we do have lots of happy people on board. There are tons of kids and it gets rather crazy, but we leave on time, you have more legroom that on mainline coach and your flight attendants are HAPPY! Of course it's not perfect and I doubt what he/she said about SONG being a mistake and a nightmare is true. I always try to find our medallion pax and introduce myself and thank them for our business on SONG. I always question them on how they like SONg and I have never seen an unhappy face. They might not be 100 pleased, but when they leave they always smile and that means I have done my job.
Old Aug 21, 03, 6:49 am
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
As I posted elsewhere, I will fly SONG for the first time in October. I'll be sure to report on my experience.

Bruce
Old Aug 21, 03, 6:54 am

Programs: delta/song
Bruce, make sure a few days before you go you post your travel plans. You just never know who you may see!!!
Old Aug 21, 03, 7:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vetteset:
Bruce, make sure a few days before you go you post your travel plans. You just never know who you may see!!!</font>
Actually, that is a bad idea. Most people around here respect Bruce's opinion. If Bruce were to tell his travel plans, then the possiblity of a corrupted experience might occur. Now this seems conspiratorial; but, a few words among FAs and a flight's character can drastically change.

I guess I am jaded.

Old Aug 21, 03, 7:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CountinPlaces:
Actually, that is a bad idea. Most people around here respect Bruce's opinion. If Bruce were to tell his travel plans, then the possiblity of a corrupted experience might occur. Now this seems conspiratorial; but, a few words among FAs and a flight's character can drastically change.

I guess I am jaded.

</font>
Sorry, but I think you are vastly overrating the influence of FlyerTalk - I have yet to fly with another FA who has mentioned it to me, or even heard of it. You're also seeing a conspiracy among FA's that does not exist.
I'm sure Bruce will have a great flight!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: