Need Advice re Delta Companion Ticket

Old Feb 13, 03, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Need Advice re Delta Companion Ticket

I am trying to use a Platinum Delta Skymiles Credit Card Companion Certificate which cannot be used with L, U or T fares. Is there a way to pull up eligible fares on the Delta site using this certificate? Or do I have to call a CSR?
Old Feb 13, 03, 11:32 am
cervisiam

are you a medallion member? if so, when you log in, and type in your reservation, you can specify "use 800 mile upgrade" and that will bring you to the lowest upgradeable fare--K.

other than that, there is a more complicated process using expedia and the fare calendar...

Old Feb 13, 03, 11:46 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
In order to use the cert, you need to call the number on the cert anyway. The desk answering the call is well prepared to answer your questions.
Old Feb 13, 03, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The issue of whether the certificate can be used with a T fare is not settled, in my opinion. My certificate (which I already used in January) excluded L and U fares only, without mentioning T fares. I'm convinced that I could have used it with a T fare, although it would have involved a battle. (I actually used it with a K fare; no T fare was available at the time to my destination.)

Bruce
Old Feb 13, 03, 2:40 pm

Can anyone tried using a companion certificate w/o charging it to the DL AMEX card? I do have the card, but also have e bump voucher and some MCO's that I wouldn't mind trying to use first.

Also, I don't have the certificate in front of me, is the minimum price now gone, but now it can't be an L/U (and probably T) ticket? Thanks.

Jeff
Old Feb 13, 03, 2:49 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jwhite4:
Also, I don't have the certificate in front of me, is the minimum price now gone, but now it can't be an L/U (and probably T) ticket? Thanks.

Jeff
</font>
I used my cert, but I think those are terms.

You should not be allowed to use any FOP except for DL Amex. That said, you might get lucky at the CTO!
Old Feb 13, 03, 7:27 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jwhite4:
Can anyone tried using a companion certificate w/o charging it to the DL AMEX card? I do have the card, but also have e bump voucher and some MCO's that I wouldn't mind trying to use first.

Jeff
</font>
I tried to book a trip using the PL AMEX voucher last night. I was upset at how limited the voucher is. (I have received three so far and have never found them to be a good value)

For one, you cannot use any Medallion upgrade using the voucher. You cannot use "bump" vouchers. You cannot use NAMUs for your free ticket. Tickets must be charged on the AMEX card.

They have reduced the fares to K class or better, but you have to pay the "call-in" rate plus sales tax on free ticket. You cannot use delta.com fares.

If not for the 10,000 bonus miles I would not keep PL card for the extra $$$.

Old Feb 13, 03, 8:26 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
All of the restrictions make that free companion voucher basically worthless unless you and your spouse are willing to pay a mid-level fare AND sit in back.

My wife is aware that I usually always sit in front when I'm on business - a trip in back together wouldn't go over too well.

The only redeeming value of the free companion ticket to me is that I don't have to be the ticketed pax any longer to use it - you can gift it to a friend or relative for them plus a companion (suggested in DL's cover letter). This is new for 2002 - previously the Amex DL Plat cardholder had to be one of the ticketed pax.

So while Mrs. NYBanker will insist to sit in front, retiree parents and the like are just thrilled to get a free ticket (even if they had to pay more on the other ticket!).

[This message has been edited by NYBanker (edited 02-13-2003).]
Old Oct 2, 03, 7:28 am

The certificate is worthless in 99% of all cheapest total cost scenerios and the question about T fares is a class action waiting for organization. I was refused a T fare 2 years ago because they have a line on the certificate that states they have the right to change the rules anytime they want but they still print them excluding only L and U 2 years later and charge $135 for the privledge.
Old Oct 2, 03, 7:34 am

I forgot in my post. The answer to your question is go to Travelocity.com click on fare listings at the bottom of the first page. Enter your city pair airline and a date and all fares will be listed there. And the K fare will be more that twice the cheapest fare especially if you figure in that you pay all taxes on the free ticket and get no mileage.
Old Oct 22, 03, 1:59 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
My cert here says no L or U fares, and of course from Ft Myers, Fl (RSW) to LAX at T fare is $259 and a K fare is $569. It seems like we should be able to fight this somehow as it is a worthless perk.....
I wonder how many are actually put to use?
JudyJ
Old Oct 23, 03, 3:56 am

Location: Mesa, AZ., USA, DL Gold,CRC,WN whatever,AA nobody,HHonors Diamond,Starwood Gold, could careless about Rental Car Co's.
the newest DL AMEX PLat certificates now state "exclude L, U and T" fares. Looking at it now. I use them for CRJ flights since you can't upgrade.
Old Oct 23, 03, 6:25 am

You can give this Cert to a friend and his/her companion As long as you buy the tix oon your card
Old Oct 23, 03, 8:08 am

Can you buy on A class fare and get one free or is it coach only?

Search this Thread