FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   DL & some FA's at odds over new work rules (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/60052-dl-some-fas-odds-over-new-work-rules.html)

tcook052 Oct 10, 2003 2:20 pm

DL & some FA's at odds over new work rules

http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap...y.asp?ID=21879

Some Delta flight attendants are worried new work rules that blend their base and overtime pay will mean less money and lower pension benefits. But the nations third-largest airline says the changes will allow workers to earn more and at the same time save the company $40 million a year through increased productivity.

vetteset Oct 10, 2003 2:31 pm

Sounds like a paycut to me! The unfortunate issue is that they decided what we were getting. We took this benefits poll and it was very misleading and sneaky. Which arm do you want cut off? Left or right? The spin machine is amazing!

MM/PM widget Oct 10, 2003 3:24 pm

Delta is obviously "enhancing" employee benefits now!

------------------
former EASTERN ET,AA Gold,US Gold. Current DL PM-MM,Marriott PL, SPG PLT, Hilton Gold

xooz Oct 11, 2003 2:52 pm

Looks like it's a mixedbag,money-wise. F/As who don't fly much end up better off, marginally,than those who fly 80 or more hrs /mo. The bigger deal would seem to be that they will change the bidding process so that they don't have canned monthly bids. It will be more ala carte each month.
But for the traveling public... it does nothing really. There will be some possibility that some F/A's will fly more hrs than normal to make more $$, since the max is lifted.. but that only means more surly(er?) FAs.

Vikedog64 Oct 11, 2003 3:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vetteset:
Sounds like a paycut to me! The unfortunate issue is that they decided what we were getting. We took this benefits poll and it was very misleading and sneaky. Which arm do you want cut off? Left or right? The spin machine is amazing!</font>
O.K. Let's just keep everything the way it is and see where it takes us. I mean, what we have now is not working..period. I looked over everything and there is something for everybody. The blended pay for people who fly 75 hrs is essentially the same. Over 80 hrs, and it requires 1-2 more flight hours per month to make the same money. It could have been a heck of a lot worse...

FoPAA Oct 11, 2003 7:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Vikedog64:
It could have been a heck of a lot worse...</font>
Exactly. I'm looking at American and counting my blessings.

basicdude Oct 11, 2003 9:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MM/PM widget:
Delta is obviously "enhancing" employee benefits now!

</font>
Only because they asked for it!

------------------

Mill Creek Don Oct 12, 2003 12:33 am

Aren't there FAA quarterly maximums that overall make this a loser for the FA's??

And yes, this must have been the result of extensive research on the true wishes of the FA community. Otherwise, why would DL have enhanced it this way?? &lt;sarcasm mode off&gt;

Vikedog64 Oct 12, 2003 7:28 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mill Creek Don:
Aren't there FAA quarterly maximums that overall make this a loser for the FA's??

And yes, this must have been the result of extensive research on the true wishes of the FA community. Otherwise, why would DL have enhanced it this way?? &lt;sarcasm mode off&gt;

</font>
There is no doubt that the company has or had a dollar figure for savings in mind. I feel like they took our input and did their best to implement the most popular requests within that dollar figure. Like I said before, there is something for everybody and the new bidding process will go through a three month trial period, take the pros and cons and create the software to be implemented. Overall, I am satisfied but the hardest part will get the employees to change. As we all know, change is not easy..

RustyC Oct 13, 2003 1:53 am

Kinda reminds me of the days I worked as a salaried slave for a large Atlanta company (not connected to the airlines). The union had won a 37.5-hour workweek years earlier and they had extended it to managers as well. But in a cost-cutting wave they decided to quietly tell managers they'd have to work 40 hours (for the same pay), while the union fought off the demand in contract negotiations.

Make no mistake, it's not being done for you, FAs, it's being done to you. I remember well the days of the "Spriti of Delta" and Delta's sterling reputation as an employer, but that was before Leo. In today's environment you've got to have leverage or else management will just lean ever harder on you. (In a few years they'll probably want FA jobs to look like those of the pre-union ValuJet)