Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Attire

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2003, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

First Class Attire

I'm new to flying (and flyertalk) and was curious what the acceptable attire is for the first class cabin on Delta. I'm taking a long flight to HNL and was wondering if shorts would be OK.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 4:31 pm

You'll probably get lots of responses and arguments. I think First Class has degraded so far from its historical norm. Even in the CRC, folks don't adhere to the dress codes. What's worse, the agents in the CRC aren't enforcing the codes.

If you wear shorts, you won't be alone; and I'll keep quiet.

marc
Old Sep 14, 2003, 4:42 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
"Acceptable" is a complex word.

I would think less of you (however not as much less as if you propped your feet on the bulkhead).

You probably wouldn't care, though.

So long as you are not naked, Delta will probably board you. You might consider this: no one who is underdressed cares if the other pax are "overdressed". Many of us who prefer a business casual (at least) front cabin do care. You will be doing your fellow beings a favor by dressing up a bit, if that is at all important to you. Just my opinion.

Old Sep 14, 2003, 4:57 pm

LexPassenger:

As you are never on DL, how does this apply to you at all?

However, I do agree with your statement.

marc
Old Sep 14, 2003, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
My guess is that if you wear a tux, you'll probably get great service -- but only if the flight leaves after 6PM.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 5:08 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marq:
LexPassenger:

As you are never on DL, how does this apply to you at all?

However, I do agree with your statement.

marc
</font>
Marq, are you a part of the solution or th eproblem of useless posts on the DL board.

Lex, perfect response!

Old Sep 14, 2003, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

I'm certainly not opposed to dressing bc. Its a 9hr flight, so I wasn't sure. I didn't want to show up bc and see the rest of first in shorts. Seems these days first class is nothing but a better seat (if that). I've not heard good things about fc domestic services.

Any other advice for a long flight?
Old Sep 14, 2003, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
My 2˘ is that if you are clean, relatively odor-free, don't have a T-shirt that uses obscenities (and I've seen some doozies ), and don't dress in a manner that might prompt a fellow passenger to have to explain to his 5-year old where "babies come from," it is not encumbent on you to dress "up." After all, you paid for a ticket and are only using a service. Unlike restaurants or cruise ships, flying is hardly an "occasion" anymore.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 5:14 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Marq: flying etiquette is a question for any airline.

However, I am booked on HNL flights on Delta on 25 September, in first, (snacks only, alas), to use up VDB and cancelled flight credit.

Perhaps his shorts will be displayed on my flight. I probably won't notice or care, but if he puts his unshod feet on the bulkhead I am likely to suggest to the FA that we start a fund to buy him shoes.

Politeness is in each of our heads. I don't think clods care that I disapprove of their clodliness. Shame, but nothing to be done.

Old Sep 14, 2003, 5:19 pm
GG

My opinion is somewhat different from Lex's.

If you're in the +/- 4% of the population that actually looks good in shorts, please do... Otherwise, I've never understood why comfortable long pants - lightweight natural fiber for HNL obviously - aren't just as good if not better than shorts. It can get chilly in flight.

Old Sep 14, 2003, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Not that anyone cares, but my usual attire in F or Y is a golf shirt, khakis or jeans (not ripped or stained), and comfortable shoes. My favorite seat is 1A and I do put my shod feet up on the bulkhead all the time (except in BE, where they won't reach! ).

------------------
Vasant
Old Sep 14, 2003, 6:15 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rhetor:
My 2˘ is that if you are clean, relatively odor-free, don't have a T-shirt that uses obscenities (and I've seen some doozies ), and don't dress in a manner that might prompt a fellow passenger to have to explain to his 5-year old where "babies come from," it is not encumbent on you to dress "up." After all, you paid for a ticket and are only using a service. Unlike restaurants or cruise ships, flying is hardly an "occasion" anymore.</font>
I am totally with rhetor on this one. The most important, and more important than actual clothing, is the personal hygeine and personal manners. People could be naked for all I care, if their hygeine and manners did not invade my (and others) personal space. However, I probably will never see such a naked person as at least manners and socially acceptable clothing are likely to go hand-in-hand.

My worst nightmare is sitting besides somebody with a BO, and/or bringing to the seat a supersized burger meal WITH a milkshake, slurping and lipsmacking, perhaps even burping with incessant paperwrestling trying to juggle the meal items, spreading ketchup infested paper all over, wiping the mouth with the hand etc. (you get the picture!). I can even take some obscene (if clean) T-shirts in order to avoid that!.

More to the point, I would assume that wearing a T- or Golf shirt and not too short shorts is quite common to-and-from Hawaiii, even in FC.

Personally I usually travel in business attire as my business often is straight from the plane. However, on longer (trans-oceanic trips) I like a pocketed Polo-type shirt in the Summer, a regular shirt without a tie in the winter, and always at least Docker type jeans. But that is for my own comfort and not a standard that I necessarily expect of others.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
I began to post a response before anyone else had posted, but as I was typing, my connection got dropped, and I was unable to post... I'm glad I couldn't because my response would have been WAY out of line it would seem.

SOOOOO, here is a little different perspective:

&lt;RANT&gt;
When I fly in First, I have NO problem with any wearing whatever they want. Although I don't think I've worn shorts, I would if it happened that I put on shorts in the morning. I agree with the posters who have suggested "modest" clothing, no overexposure, to obscenities, etc... that makes common sense, but "to think less" of someone for wearing shorts IMHO, is disgusting! I mean, when I read some of the responses I immediately started thinking of some of the various types of discrimination that go on in this country! I mean, it irritates me to no end when someone thinks too highly of themselves... and I wanted to vomit while reading some of the responses! I mean, had I walked into First in my jeans and T-shirt and one of you had been seated there and saw me, you would think "less" of me?????? Give me a break! You don't know me! I do believe you have your tie too tight around your neck and it is cutting off oxygen too your brain!
&lt;/RANT&gt;

Now that I have gotten all that out, I will admit that my generation (I'm 19) has turned air travel into just another ride, whereas it used to be something more important. I still believe though, that it is a mindset that needs to change. Here is my guideline for FC seating: As long as nothing of yours or your person including but not limited too smell, clothing, and luggage invades or otherwise permeates my space, I don't care what you wear or bring, and that standard applies to all cabins, in my book.

This is obviously the dissenting opinion, and I am hoping that I am not blackballed for it. I appreciate the input I get from this board, and am interested in your responses. Let it be a difference and nothing more.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
This one could go on and on.

Personally, clean and fully clothed is most important. Why people think muscle shirts, cut off shorts, gym shorts, flip flops etc are normal public attire, I will never know.

This happens in planes as well as elsewhere. I try to wear "nice clothes" whenever I go out, except MAYBE to Home Depot when in the middle of a project.

What really gets me is business people that have to CHANGE because they are flying. I don't get it. They can wear nice clothes all day, but if they have to spend 1-2 hours on a plane, all the rules change.

I just don't get it.

But then I have been know to put my feet on the bulkhead. I really think Boeing meant for that to be a vertical footrest/hassock.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jjglaze77:
I will admit that my generation (I'm 19) has turned air travel into just another ride,</font>
I Agree with the above. I am early 20's and feel that it is quite ok to wear shorts in FC.

I don't think dressing up gets people my age as excited as it does older folks. I've been to evening plays on broadway and seen people in shorts.

Annerj

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.