Dl sued over racial profiling

Old Sep 15, 03, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Dl sued over racial profiling

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRe...d=154-09152003
Old Sep 15, 03, 5:07 pm
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I have no idea whether the allegations in this case are accurate, but I have seen way too many people inappropriately lump Indians and Pakistanis in with "Middle Easterners" due to superficial similarities in appearance (mainly just dark skin). That's really ignorant, and no airline should allow its employees to have such an attitude. Moreover, the idea that a flight attendant can have a passenger removed by law enforcement because she "feels uncomfortable" is simply outrageous.

Bruce
Old Sep 15, 03, 5:08 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
"On November 26, 2002, Hansdip Singh Bindra, a software consultant who maintains a turban and beard in accordance with his Sikh faith, boarded a flight in Newark, New Jersey, bound for Dayton, Ohio'

If what they say actually happened, then it is wrong.

But, I must wonder why it took 10 months to file the lawsuit??
Old Sep 15, 03, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Well, according to the story, the plaitiff and his lawyer tried negotiating with Delta. They asked for a number of things, including a promise that employees would be trained not to behave in the manner alleged. Delta refused to acknowledge wrong-doing or make any of the changes requested. Thus, after a while, a lawsuit was filed.

Very few plaintiffs file suit immediately after an incident. They try to work it out with the defendant first. If that fails, then a suit is filed.

Bruce
Old Sep 15, 03, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
this is just plain wrong. I am glad to see that he is suing. I am even happier to see that his fellow passengers stood up for him against the FA, filed complaints, filed affidavits, and I am sure will testify if called on. This FA was probably one of those dizzy Atlanta belles who can't bear to be in the same space as someone different from them. She needs to go, and DL needs to pony up for sweeping this under the rug.
Old Sep 15, 03, 10:16 pm
Suspended

This is plain disgusting. The FA should be fired immediately. This sikh from India should not have gone thru the ordeal. I am happy he is suing.
Old Sep 16, 03, 1:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
It does not matter that he was a Sikh, not a Moslem. It does not matter if he was Indian, American Indian, Puerto Rican, Micronesian or Palestinian.

Assuming that the story is accurate (always a very big assumption) the FA was flat out wrong.

Having been okayed by the TSA, any passenger should be considered to be law abiding -- even if he is wearing traditional Arabian clothing, carrying a Koran, in his 20's, and says "Allah hu akhbar."

Until the point that he in some way violates the law, he is entitled to the same service and courtesy as any other person.

(Incidentally, I am NOT opposed to racial profiling. It makes sense and can help identify potential hijackers. However, it should play a role ONLY during the security check.)

Old Sep 16, 03, 6:03 am

Programs: delta/song
This was not a Delta flight attendant, it was probably ASA or Comair. Mainline does not even fly EWR-DAY. I personally do not believe a crew member would EVER treat a pax like this. Hopefully, the truth will come out and the flight attendant will be cleared. Thankfully not a Delta mainline flight attendant..
Old Sep 16, 03, 7:38 am

Location: Hotlanta, GA; Starwood Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bocastephen:
This FA was probably one of those dizzy Atlanta belles who can't bear to be in the same space as someone different from them.</font>
Nice comment..... and now you are the one who is pre-judging people because of where they are from. I hope you see the irony (or whatever the darn term is... me englis no gud) in your post!!!
Old Sep 16, 03, 8:18 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vetteset:
This was not a Delta flight attendant, it was probably ASA or Comair. Mainline does not even fly EWR-DAY. I personally do not believe a crew member would EVER treat a pax like this. Hopefully, the truth will come out and the flight attendant will be cleared. Thankfully not a Delta mainline flight attendant..</font>
Vetteset, it was an ACA flight.
Old Sep 16, 03, 10:11 am

The allegations, if true, are shameful for Delta, but are they illegal?

Delta is accused of "unlawful racial profiling". I was not aware there was a law against racial profiling. What exactly did the flight attendant do except insult this pax based on his perceived race/national origin? I mean, the FA didn't fire the passenger, refuse to promote him, refuse to hire him, refuse to sell him a house, etc. I was not aware that there was a law regulation who you could insult.
Old Sep 16, 03, 12:07 pm

Delta has told all of its employees, many times, that the only basis for suspicion is suspicious ACTIONS.
I, too, feel there is more to the story than was revealed to us...telling a passenger to "shut up?" Come on!
Old Sep 17, 03, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
I wonder if the FA is still flying, and if the airline took any disciplinary action.
Those passengers willing to support Mr. Bindra are to be commended. Too often people just shake their heads and walk away.
Old Sep 17, 03, 7:18 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); soon formerly LEXington, KY; otherwise around and about
Programs: DL still sort-of Elite; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Whoever the FA was, he or she does not represent either Delta or the American population.

I hope that is clear to everyone.
Old Sep 17, 03, 8:09 pm

Many of the respondents seem to be assuming that this allegation is true (and that it is true in all or most of its details).

Maybe. Maybe not. Why should we so quickly assume it is all true?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: