Flew Song... hated it

Old Aug 9, 03, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Titanium
Flew Song... hated it

So, I decided to give Song a shot. And what can I say, but a total let down.

I knew the entertainment system would not be up. So that was expected.

Otherwise, the service was decent, but it is just too cramped. I guess I have gotten use to FC / BE configs and always being upgraded. So, for regular coach flyers, Song ain't bad. But for those of us who invested many hours flying in the air and earned our status, not having even the opportunity to upgrade blows.

I think this could be it for me. With all flights to Florida from NYC on Song soon, I don't even see the point in trying to fly DL.

One plus though... the FA's were amusing and trying very much to be like SW atmosphere.

Oh and I can't deal with coach, non regular passengers, they all seem to be complete morons. Can I just get a stupid stick and smack everyone of them???
Old Aug 9, 03, 12:32 am

What was your route? length of flight.

It seems your complaint was more to the fact you were in non FC or BE.

Was it a typical coach flight? How were the seats? Did you buy the food?

Old Aug 9, 03, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GoCanes:
[B]Oh and I can't deal with coach, non regular passengers... B]</font>
This might be one of the hidden reasons that a lot of us like F.
Old Aug 9, 03, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Titanium
Ok, now that I have slept on it... a more detailed experience!

I was on flight 2539 between JFK and FLL.

The seets were comfy, I would have rather had an adjustable headrest which they did not on these flights. The leg room is pretty much like usual coach, except I believe the seats have more pitch. Which lets the person in front of you get into your way. It was very difficult to use a laptop and no EMP power at this time, but the slot for it is in the seat. Maybe when they put in entertainment system, emp power will be also added.

The seats were all leather and actually were not that bad. There is no medallion preboarding and no medallion check in line. I used a kiosk, there are like 30 of them at JFK. You check into terminal 2 instead of the traditional terminal 3.

When we got on board, we were given a menu. Prices are steep and no one really bought anything. You can buy a pillow for $5. They had candy, turkey sandwich, and ceasar salad. Ceasar salad was $9. They also had lunchables, snickers, mrs. fields, skittles, fruit and cheese, and doritos 3d. That is about it. No DL Sky magazine and no sky mall.

FA's were friendly and funny. I got yelled at for using my cell phone to play games, but then I explained to them my cell phone has airplane mode. Then they said ok. Otherwise, not much contact with FA's. I sat in the old FC cabin, now 3 and 3. It is in zone 2 and boards first. But I had to wait a while after i bought ticket for aisle seat to open. Otherwise, sit up front if possible, i imagine better than the back.

Hope this helps those of you thinking to fly song.
Old Aug 9, 03, 9:46 am

Programs: Gymboree Global Services
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GoCanes:
I knew the entertainment system would not be up. So that was expected.

</font>
When is Delta going to install the TVs on Song aircraft? (Friends are flying it in September)
Old Aug 9, 03, 10:22 am
Suspended

Location: San Francisco - DL Platinum, HP Platinum, KL Gold, UA Premier, Hhonors Diamond
I think it is ridiculous to "hate Song", just because you have grown used to BusinessElite. Song is a great product for the customers it targets. The food is excellent, the seatpitch is excellent, the leather seats are quite comfortable and when the entertainment system comes online, it will be a great competitor for the likes as JetBlue and SouthWest.
Old Aug 9, 03, 10:29 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel, Hilton Diamond & a few other lower levls here and there
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Floris:
I think it is ridiculous to "hate Song", just because you have grown used to BusinessElite. Song is a great product for the customers it targets. The food is excellent, the seatpitch is excellent, the leather seats are quite comfortable and when the entertainment system comes online, it will be a great competitor for the likes as JetBlue and SouthWest.</font>
Here we go again.

How about: "Floris, I think it is just ridiculous to like song due to the fact they are owned by DL airlines?"

Of course there are going to be good and bad things about Song, but Floris, that would mean you have to fly on them or DL to really know!
Old Aug 9, 03, 12:15 pm
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Floris, have you ever flown on Song? Considering Song's short existence and that you are based in SFO, I think not.
Old Aug 9, 03, 1:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Floris:
Song is a great product for the customers it targets.</font>
Many of us do not seem to be "those customers".

When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of the Wayans Brothers' sketches on In Living Color with Damon Wayans and David Alan Grier... Men on Art, Men on Film, etc.

Old Aug 9, 03, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM, UA Gold, AA GLD/1MM, Nat'l Exec, Marriott Gold, Vino Volo Reserve
You can buy a pillow for $5.</font>
please please tell me you can also borrow one of theirs for free.....
Old Aug 9, 03, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Location: San Francisco - DL Platinum, HP Platinum, KL Gold, UA Premier, Hhonors Diamond
Yes I have flown Song.

Can anybody please tell me what is SO BAD about an airline that offers above average seat pitch, cheap tickets, restaurant quality food for airport terminal prices and movies, tv, video games, etc. (from the end of the year)?

For the same price, you can also be on South West.

Duh!
Old Aug 9, 03, 2:49 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel, Hilton Diamond & a few other lower levls here and there
Floris, I just don't believe you! Maybe you could tell us how soft the toilet paper is on Song?

[This message has been edited by JRF (edited 08-09-2003).]
Old Aug 9, 03, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Get's around, doesn't he.
Old Aug 9, 03, 4:47 pm
Suspended

JRF, I just don't believe you.
It is a fact that seat pitch is better at Song (33") compared to JetBlue and mainline DL (32"/31"). It is a fact that the food is better then what is being served on mainline DL now-a-days.

All I am saying is "Flew Song... hated it" is way over the top. No airline is perfect, no airline is worth hating.
Old Aug 9, 03, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All I am saying is "Flew Song... hated it" is way over the top. No airline is perfect, no airline is worth hating.</font>
I am actually open minded about the green lollipops. They got some proving to do to me that it is somehow better and more cost effective than Delta Express is or was...I think the fact that Delta isn't in the brand has actually worked as planned.

But, if "Flew Song, hated it" is the opinion of the writer, then it's not over the top, merely his opinion.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: