Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Internal Memo Regarding Plat Upgrades Changes sent Out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Internal Memo Regarding Plat Upgrades Changes sent Out

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2003, 6:37 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
While I am encouraged by the news that Delta may be reversing some of their previous decisions regarding the 2004 Skymiles Program, I am discouraged by the fact that it's too little - too late! Like many of you, I took my PM/MM status and went elsewhere, trying to build miles and status on other carriers. I've flown 100+ segments on Delta for the last nine years. This year I've earned less than 50K "qualification miles". I flew less on Delta this year due to the proposed changes in '04.

If Delta does indeed revert back to the old guidelines, how many of us would even qualify for PM or GOLD status in '04? Once again Delta - too little - too late!
Old Sep 5, 2003, 7:26 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Already gone and elite on AirTran.
Unlimited upgrades - I've even been upgraded 95% of the time on the cheapest fares. Everyone I deal with at AirTran has a smile on their face.
I had to move a small pet this weekend ATL-MDW - paid $140 + $50 for the space under the seat. Was upgraded both ways. DL wanted $75 for the pet & the cheap fare was sold out.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 9:35 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
SO happy to have already stopped giving DL any new revenue. Paid flights for the future will be AA/US/UA/QF only.

Adios, Delta.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 11:01 am

This is giving me a headache - I have no idea what this means - It appears that domestic upgrades will be as previously announced and our measly 6 paper upgrades will not ? Do I got it ????? It's time for a note to to Vicki, PAtrice etal. This Borden seems to have patronized flers (lied ?) by telling him that change was imminent - time for this guy to goooooooo - or I will gooooooo. We need a BIG media hit -"Delta lies to best customers" . It is time that we send a note to ALPA and tell them what DL has done to alienate its best customers and tell them to do to DL what DL did to us - tell them to stick it ! RANT OVER -
Old Sep 5, 2003, 1:11 pm

All this memo means is that PMU and mileage upgrades will not change from the current rules. PMU and mileage awards were to change to the same time of booking rules as segments on 1/1/2004. It appears that you will still be able to upgrade at time of booking for those while segment upgrades will go by the timing according to fare class.

This link describes the planned changes before this memo was issued. PMU and mileage awards will not change, as listed in the linked page, but segment upgrades will.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 1:18 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mister Nice:
It is time that we send a note to ALPA and tell them what DL has done to alienate its best customers and tell them to do to DL what DL did to us - tell them to stick it ! </font>
Yep!
Old Sep 5, 2003, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once you fix the qualification (1 MQM minimum/mile traveled...and segments for short haul flyers) and reward issues (upgrade oportunities)..... Then you have to win back customers already lost...
Many loyal customers have moved on to other carriers. For them to come back, DL would have to extend their status through the end of 2004. Otherwise what would be the point, as they have already invested miles and obtained status on another airline.

Sales and marketing 101... it is always easier to keep a customer than try and win him/her back!
Old Sep 5, 2003, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's why I was confused, I only ever use PMU's int'l, therefore YBM was already my limit.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum;Delta 2MM;Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite;Hertz 5*
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
GM's are still screwed and have no reason to stay unless there are massive rollbacks. In addition, as many of us have already switched carriers, they would have to extend our status for another year to entice us to stay.

What a shame!
</font>
I agree . GM's must be viewed as rotten meat to DL. After all who cares about some smuck flying 50-99M MQM's.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 3:49 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
If the calls for a DALPA strike are sarcastic, I missed it. If you people are serious, you're crazy.

First of all, DALPA doesn't care about anyone else but themselves. Why would they give a crap if someone complains about the SkyMiles program? Guess what -- pilots just fly airplanes. They don't award upgrades.

Secondly they can't strike now. It would be illegal.

------------------
"Where's my money?" -- Pizza the Hutt
Old Sep 5, 2003, 4:31 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
Guess what -- pilots just fly airplanes. They don't award upgrades.

</font>
My limited experience is in agreement with JS's statement: that pilots do not know anything about our (the customer's) trepidations nor do they appear particularly interested in the details. Since coming here in May, I have sat besides 2 pilots on flights and in both instances tried to engage them in a conversation about the upcoming SM changes. Not only did they have no clue about the SM program in general, but they didn't really appear all that interested in talking about the SM problems. (However, they were very interested in talking about retirement of MD11's etc.)!
Old Sep 5, 2003, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UnofficialDLHelper:
Here is the official, unofficial wording of the message:

</font>
"Rules governing the fare applicability and confirmation timing of Platinum Medallion Upgrades (PMU's) and upgrade mileage awards will not change on Jan. 1, 2004, as previously announced. The current policies governing these upgrades will remain in effect until further notice."

Lets see if I understand this correctly, the changes (like the 100 hour window etc) that were going to go in effect on 1/1/2004 are now recided, at least for now. Oh goody I can still get an upgrade at time of booking for a "K" fare, oh yea, I forgot I WILL NOT HAVE ANY UPGRADE POINTS TO DO IT WITH!

"The policies governing 500 Mile Upgrade points will change on Jan. 1, 2004 as planned."

Another example of there being NO THERE when you get there!
Old Sep 5, 2003, 7:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
If the calls for a DALPA strike are sarcastic, I missed it. If you people are serious, you're crazy.

First of all, DALPA doesn't care about anyone else but themselves. Why would they give a crap if someone complains about the SkyMiles program? Guess what -- pilots just fly airplanes. They don't award upgrades.

Secondly they can't strike now. It would be illegal.

</font>
But you have to sdmit that spiffy little uniform would look even better with a Save Our SkyMiles button plainly pinned to it! Reach out to Labor and get them involved even if only to rattle managements cage. Since they can't easily strike your pin would be a great protest! Over in C'Roachville we are working on this very idea, when we have something to report you'll know. DON'T GIVE UP!
Old Sep 5, 2003, 10:20 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
This change, if true, would be meaningles to me. Upgrades for K+ fares at time of booking is useless if one has no upgrades.

I am flying CMH-SEA later this month. This trip requires twelve 500 mile upgrades. I will have to fly 30,000 miles next year to upgrade this single RT. I make this trip 5 or 6 times a year. That means 150,000 to 180,000 miles flown just to upgrade these few trips and the other 100 flights I fly each year would be in Delta's substandard coach. NO THANKS!

If unlimited upgrades don't come back, neither will I. It's that simple.

[This message has been edited by bnaboy (edited 09-05-2003).]
Old Sep 6, 2003, 7:17 pm

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
Charging for upgrades would go over so much better if a row was pulled out of economy and the space added to just five rows for Medallions. On United I don't even bother upgrading half the time. Middle seats blocked, 36" pitch.

There are a few choice seats that are far more comfortable than FC. Last week flying ORD-SAN in a 757 I traded my upgrade for the second exit row in a 757 when the agent said he'd block the middle. 17 on a 757 and 6 on Airbuses to name a couple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.