Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Employees Tell Columnist about New Delta

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2003, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cholula:
I believe I also saw his previous column. This guy doesn't pull any punches....nor should he. Too bad he doesn't write for an ATL paper where he'd get wider readership.
This is one of my favorite quotes from the article:
To sum up, Delta employees are mad as hell, and I don't blame them. I suggest to the dunderheads on Delta's board of directors that they look out for their employees for a change. Bring in Dave Garrett and his management team to resuscitate Delta Air Lines and its employees. Do that and Delta won't need image experts. Simple isn't it?</font>
Here is his last several articles on Delta (I spent the last 2 hours reading everything he has written that is listed in his grouping of stories. I love this guy:

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...30703032.shtml

Yarbrough: Delta's new image does not fly

" Don't look now, but somebody is getting ready to spray-paint a cow patty. According to news reports, Delta Air Lines has hired a creative firm called BrightHouse to help improve its image. You remember Delta, don't you? They are the folks who said they had to pay their executives $27 million in bonuses and offer them special pension protections so that the suits wouldn't run off and work for somebody else. Personally, I thought Delta made a smart move. After all, with the economy booming like it is, what is to keep the senior vice president for nutritious airplane food from bolting the place for the chance to flip hamburgers at McDonald's?"

And:

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...30403103.shtml

Yarbrough: Delta dealing out bonuses that would make Enron blush

What in the name of Orville and Wilbur Wright could Delta have been thinking!

At a time when young men and women have sacrificed careers to go fight a war on our behalf; when more than 8 million people are unemployed - many with no insurance or benefits - and millions more wonder if they, too, may soon be out of a job, the robber barons at Delta Air Lines decided this would be a jolly good time to reward themselves with bonuses that would have made Enron blush. Their reasoning? They want to keep their ''leadership team'' together. Here is the kind of leadership the team provided last year: Delta reported a $1.3 billion loss, a 58 percent drop in its share price and the elimination of 16,000 jobs and the people that go with them. Let's hear it for the team!

[This message has been edited by mikey1003 (edited 08-21-2003).]
Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
We still have US-AIR service 6x daily to Charlotte.....

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LexPassenger:
I don't remember if his previous column was posted here or not, but here's a follow-up where Athens Banner-Herald columnist Dick Yarbrough chronicles responses he got from Delta employees. Delta Suits' Perks Just Don't Fly

(Athens, by the way, lost all air service recently when USAir Express pulled out. Since they are fairly close to Atlanta, the EAS subsidies cannot be applied to service there. Everybody is now expected to drive to Atlanta.)
</font>
Old Aug 22, 2003, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OldRoyal:
To the contrary: Pensions guaranteed in the event of company bankruptcy are a new low.</font>
Yes, it is VERY unusual. Funding non-qualified executive pensions when the rank-and-file QUALIFIED pension plan is underfunded by $4 billion is nothing less than outrageous. Despicable comes to mind as well.

Bruce
Old Aug 22, 2003, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
beofotch: thanks for the correction. I had thought the govt. had approved US's application to drop service...
Old Aug 22, 2003, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle

More from my new buddy Dick Yarbrough at the Athens Banner-Herald:

"...Reiman says the first thing he wants to do is to improve the relationship between the company and its 77,000 employees, which he says are Delta's ''best advertisement.'' There is one teeny problem, however. The Delta employees I have heard from think the current management sucks...."

Ya gotta love this guy.

------------------
"On Va. Ave., loyalty is a one-way street."
--Me
Old Sep 5, 2003, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
We are not the only people being screwed.....employees are also

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.