Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta/Amex: 1st purchase mile bonus with a new card after cancelling the old one?

Delta/Amex: 1st purchase mile bonus with a new card after cancelling the old one?

Old Aug 29, 03, 9:29 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I noticed that Delta AmEx is now offering 12,000 Skymiles with a first purchase on their credit card. I cancelled my old card about 5 months ago in disgust over the 3X promo....can I re-apply and get the first purchase bonus miles again? Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Aug 29, 03, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA EXP/LT Plat
Technically you're not eligible for the first purchase bonus again. The exception is if you had a personal card and plan to apply for a new business card or vice versa. That I've done and you do get both bonuses.
Old Aug 29, 03, 1:52 pm

It is my understanding that the points are attached to your frequent flyer number and not the actual card you apply for, being business or personal. In other words, once your FF account has been credited by AMEX for any card, it will not post a second time for a different AMEX account.
Old Sep 2, 03, 6:02 pm

I confirmed with Amex prior to applying for a new business Skymiles card that I was eligible to receive another bonus even though I had a personal Skymiles Amex. This bonus has also posted to my Skymiles account already, so there is a separation between business and personal accounts.
Old Sep 3, 03, 6:52 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
I had the personal card several years ago and then cancelled. Can you tell me how much the business card fee is for the first year? thanks
Old Sep 4, 03, 5:14 pm

I applied back in May when there was a first year free promo. Otherwise I think it is $80 or $85 for the Gold Skymiles business card (there's also a basic and a platinum card). I think they run the first year free promo from time to time so you may want to wait until the next one comes around. A couple of months later I also received a letter that offered 2500 miles per additional cardholder that I add to my account with a maximum of 5000 miles (first 2 addt'l cardholders are fee free).

Search this Thread