FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Getting the Most Money out of my miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/595539-getting-most-money-out-my-miles.html)

rstidolph Aug 28, 2006 2:37 pm

Getting the Most Money out of my miles

In which of these situations do I get the best values for my miles. I know the awards are different amounts but I am looking at the dollar per mile value.

1. A 90,000 mile business class award to Europe

2. A 220,000 RTW in business class.

In reality what I am asking is would I be better off with 4 single round trips or two RTW.

Thanking you in advance for your input.

jimrpa Aug 28, 2006 3:56 pm

I think the answer is subjective, rather than objective, considering that you can't sell, trade, or barter Delta SkyMiles. Is there some reason you want to go to Europe multiple times, or would you prefer to see a bunch of different spots around the globe? Also, keep in mind that, with a RTW ticket, you can stop at two different places in Europe.

Personally, if I had the time, and the hotel points, to do it properly, I'd definitely do the RTW. Pity Delta's SkyTeam partners don't let us do it in First Class though

PMMMDL Aug 28, 2006 4:08 pm

I would have to second jimrpa. I would do the RTW even without the hotel points.

NoStressHere Aug 29, 2006 6:00 am

Still comes down to what works for YOU. If you were a person that gets too tired and hates to hit multiple countries on a trip, then a RTW trip at even 50k miles would not make sense. But, if you have time and love the adventure, then do the RTW.

On the other hand, if you are someone that traveled often to a domestic city at the last minute and flights were $800 each, then that might be a better value for your miles.

On the other hand, if you can can not even find a seat on the dates you need for the Europe or RTW, then the whole discussion is over.

ptcflyer Aug 29, 2006 6:24 am

Best use of my miles for $/mile....

1. 160 K miles for Air France Concorde Round Trip Ticket. Obviously not available now, but the tickets that I redeemed for were about $10,000 each.

This is something that I would not have been able to part with the money for...but proved to be a once in a lifetime trip! Glad we did it. Works out north of 6 cents per mile in value.

2. 160 K miles for First Class Ticket -- ATL to Dubai... flying on Emirates Airlines First Class from JFK to DXB. Again, about a $10,000 ticket for 160 K Delta Miles. For me, this is a once in a life-time experience to have your own suite on an airplane. Dubai is a very interesting experience.

3. In December, I am taking the family to Johannesburg on Delta ... That is 120,000 Miles per ticket for BE.

If you can take a month or more off... the round the world sounds like a great deal for the miles... Unfortunately all of my travel requires 10 days or less... so a point-to-point round trip experience is where I get my point value.

The next most valuable ticket for me has been Hawaii in coach. But as fares are increasing more and more... just plain old domestic round trips are getting more valuable for use with miles.

NYBanker Aug 29, 2006 7:50 am

International premium-class travel is always the best dollar value for the mile. I redeemed DL points for SQ F seats, valuing the miles at $0.11 each for that transaction.

Value, however, is always in the eye of the beholder. If all you want to do is fly song from FLL to LGA to go up and see the grandkids (this is a stereotypical example) and couldn't give a darn about visiting the Maldives, then that's the best use of miles for you (at $0.01 per mile)!

rstidolph Aug 30, 2006 6:59 am

Thank you to every one for their ideas. The big issue, as mentioned by several, is time.