Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta FT Forum Pet Peeves

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2003, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Delta FT Forum Pet Peeves

Inspired by: FlyGuyBWI

1) When people refer to airline execs by first name as though they know them: "Vicki, Patrice, Uncle Leo."

2) When people think that their sole experience on an airline is representative of the airline as a whole: "DL lost my bags. I am never flying DL again."

3) When people are intolerant of other posters because their opinions are different and they have the audacity to voice their opinions.

4) When people argue that airline strategy should be built around their habits, and winning them as a customer, while disregarding that they are not representative of the flying public as a whole. "The first flight to ORF should really leave by 6am so that I can get a full day of work in upon arrival."

5) When people fail to consider the airline point of view in their armchair executive rants: "Delta should just raise the fares $25 and not charge us for food." OR... "If DL would only let me upgrade my $99 roundtrip transcon and give me triple miles plus medallion bonus plus online booking bonus... then I would fly them every time. They are idiots for missing out on this golden opportunity."

6) When people are intolerant of routine SNAFUs, and demand compensation for events beyond an airline’s control: "We were stuck in FLL all day during the NYC blackout, and they owe us for that!"

7) When moderators close threads.

8) When people start numerous threads, all pertaining to their one upcoming ATL-LAX RT, or worse, a dozen threads about the likelihood of standing by for a 777 from MCO-ATL.

I have undoubtedly missed a few. Please share your ideas.

[This message has been edited by andymo99 (edited 08-19-2003).]
Old Aug 19, 2003, 2:22 pm

Wow...quite a list and I agree with everyone of them. It's nice to hear from a poster that sees the bigger picture.

Of course, if everyone stopped doing all of these pet peeves, the DL forum would be silent.

P.S. Delta is the most diabolical and evil airline known to humanity.

Note: I figure if I put this statement in my post, it will appease the masses of delta bash-o-philes and their Gods...errr moderators. Now where's that sarcasm off button?
Old Aug 19, 2003, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
[QUOTE]Originally posted by andymo99:
[B]Inspired by: FlyGuyBWI

3) When people are intolerant of other posters because their opinions are different and they have the audacity to voice their opinions.

Lets see if I have this correct, according to you it is OK to be "intolerant" of those posters that are "intolerant" of the things you think they should not be "intolerant" of. For someone ranting about people being "intolerant" you sure come off as being pretty "intolerant" yourself! Take a chill pill and try to remember that we are not debating world peace here!
Old Aug 19, 2003, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MM/PM widget:
Lets see if I have this correct, according to you it is OK to be "intolerant" of those posters that are "intolerant" of the things you think they should not be "intolerant" of. For someone ranting about people being "intolerant" you sure come off as being pretty "intolerant" yourself! Take a chill pill and try to remember that we are not debating world peace here!</font>
I have no objection to posters with differing viewpoints, including those who think the new medallion system is great. I do object to those who won't tolerate the opinions of the aforementioned people.

For example: I have no problem with ConnFlyer, BertBamboo, avek, et al, as they share their opinions. This despite the fact that I usually disagree with their opinions and consider them misguided. I do take exception to posters who attack these contrarians, rather than simply refuting their viewpoints. You see? It's a Voltaire type of thing: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

So, that addresses my position on those I call "contrarian" posters and their attackers as well.

My other peeves are things like "DL should revolve its program around me" and "DL should compensate me for something beyond reason" and "Let me start my thirteenth thread about my upcoming flight from SLC to RNO." Get it? I am not sure I would characterize my disdain toward these posters (and the attackers of contrarians) as intolerant however.

MM/PM, I have enjoyed your contributions unilaterally. Seriously. I even respect your patience with certain young enthusiasts travelling between NY and FL.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 3:31 pm

andymo99;

Thank you for a refreshing interjection of reason.

You hit the nail on the head with everything on your list.

Bert
Old Aug 19, 2003, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">For example: I have no problem with ConnFlyer, BertBamboo, avek, et al, as they share their opinions. This despite the fact that I usually disagree with their opinions and consider them misguided. I do take exception to posters who attack these contrarians, rather than simply refuting their viewpoints. You see? It's a Voltaire type of thing: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."</font>

Thank you, andymo99. This is exactly what I have been saying here.

------------------
Vasant

[Edited for UBB]

[This message has been edited by vasantn (edited 08-19-2003).]
Old Aug 19, 2003, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
When a troll completely takes a topic off topic
Old Aug 19, 2003, 7:46 pm

So Mikey based upon that, let me ask what is DL serving for lunch these days? Only kidding.

Great sentiments Andymo!
Old Aug 20, 2003, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Good one, mikey.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 7:07 am

deletd

[This message has been edited by BertBamboo (edited 08-20-2003).]
Old Aug 20, 2003, 9:28 am

My pet peeve is the hostility towards Delta found on this board. For example, calling Delta a "Me, Too" airline; if you get the result you want, what difference does it make?
Since I work for Delta, I really have to take a break from reading FlyerTalk every few days, it's that frustrating for me.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 9:35 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FoPAA:
My pet peeve is the hostility towards Delta found on this board. For example, calling Delta a "Me, Too" airline; if you get the result you want, what difference does it make?
Since I work for Delta, I really have to take a break from reading FlyerTalk every few days, it's that frustrating for me.
</font>
As a Delta employee, I think you'll find that almost everyone in this forum appreciates you and the job that you do for Delta.

However, your management team is the group that earn the MeToo™ Air Lines designator. Why? Delta only reluctantly goes along when other airlines make positive improvements to their programs. Delta quickly adopts other airlines' customer-unfriendly policies or benefits downgrades. And the only time Delta ever seizes the initiative when it comes to SkyMiles changes is to the detriment of the customer.

So, while we appreciate the work that you, the employees of Delta do, your management team is the culprit behind the MeToo™ label.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FoPAA:
My pet peeve is the hostility toward Delta found on this board. For example, calling Delta a "Me, Too" airline; if you get the result you want, what difference does it make?
</font>
FoPAA, I think that it is a rare event when you find criticism of DL's front-line employees posted on the board. We all think the world of you and the terrific job that you are doing.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 10:31 am

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
FoPAA Although I not longer fly DL (switched to AA in Jan) I've always maintained that DL's front line staff were the best of any airline, I flew and one of the main reasons I stayed with DL through the years. Be careful of confusing our hostility with DL managements decisions regarding the FF program with your reading it as hostility directed toward the line staff, I'm pretty sure most here would agree
Old Aug 20, 2003, 3:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:
"The first flight to ORF should really leave by 6am so that I can get a full day of work in upon arrival."
</font>
Was this a random example or are you somehow reading my mind? DL cancelled their early morning flight months ago and just recently introduced into the schedule an 8:00am CRJ immediately followed by an 8:15am MD-88 to ORF. What kind of planning is that? Just my thoughts as your example hit very close to home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.