Wiki Posts
Search

"The Plane Truth" document on Delta website

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2003, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

"The Plane Truth" document on Delta website

Hi,
The plane truth" document on the delta website gives plain english explanations of what has been going on with fares (and airline industries in general). It probably is too basic for flyertalkers, but I would like to hear what you think about the document. Do you agree with its assessments? Do you have any negative comments? I'm curious whether that document correctly represents the "truth."
--Sun
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:58 pm

Read it, interesting. Of course you have to take the "Delta is the smartest" and "Deltal knows pricing best" with a pound of salt but still worth the 12 pages.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Are there any changes to it? I read this a few years ago.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 8:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by indufan:
Are there any changes to it? I read this a few years ago.</font>
a reasonable attempt at explaining network efficiencies and yield management, but irksomely saddled with:

** outdated claims like "full coach" walkup is 4 times what the lowest discount fare is. maybe on the carefully chosen route they used [ironically a NY-Fla route-- now abandoned to Song]. on my routes it's more like 10 times difference.

** useless statistics like the "average discount" on discount fares zooming upwards, from 40% to 70%. Easy to do when you just jack up the "non-discount" fare. My $300 fare is indeed a 40% discount relative to a $500 baseline, but the same ticket becomes a 70% "deep discount" if you simply jack up the benchmark nondiscount fare to $1000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.